2016 Volvo XC60 towing capability???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have finally and officially retired and planning on Cross country travel towing a small 5X8 v-nose trailer loaded with my 2002 BMW R1150 GS and other essentials to visit our Daughter & Son.
The max trailer weight will hopefully be 1500lbs but no more than 2000lbs.
My concern is our new to us 2016 Volvo XC60 with the 2,0 liter 300hp 4 cylinder engine.
The high power density of the engine has me concerned along with the lack of engine braking due to small displacement.
The Volvo manual lists 50 mph as the max towing speed (which is unrealistic).
The trailer has no brakes which Volvo says is ok for loads up to 1500lbs.
Before someone says I should have bought a different car the trailer was not in the plans.
Driving on the interstates does not concern me as far as braking I'm in no hurry and have no intentions of mountain driving while towing.
My concern is high engine load while cruising, the trailer being v-nosed will have less resistance but still requires additional power to cruse at 65~70 mph.
The factory warranty is 5 years 50,000 miles and I also purchased additional coverage up to 10 years 100K for peace of mind while traveling.
The car is scheduled next week for the 30,000 mile free Volvo service and one concern I have is the oil they will use to refill. My preference would be a 5w30 A5/B5 Oil not a 5w20.
What are your thoughts????
I will call the dealership before I bring it in.
I would like to add that I'm an older wrench having worked in a BMW, MERCEDES, VOLVO, HONDA and SAAB dealership into the seventies then in engineering until retirement.
I've always been on top of engine design and lubricants but technology has gotten ahead of me and I can't keep up with it.
My car has a full warranty but I would rather not use it.
Any input/advice from Volvo owners and lube experts welcome.
As they use to say (THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT) !!!

90cummins

For a 1,500 - 2,000# trailer, I wouldn't worry about engine braking, or even trailer brakes. This has good brakes. Large rotors, lots of mass. I think you're fine on braking.

The 300 HP engine in this is both turbo and super charged, right? I thought that Volvo already specified a 5W30 ACEA oil for this. I would call the dealer and find out what, exactly, they are using. Volvo NA dealers have a sordid history of using bulk oil that doesn't meet specifications set by Volvo. You might be pleasantly surprised, or quite unpleasantly surprised, to find out that their idea of "specification" is viscosity only...

With the specified oil in this car, I wouldn't see any problem towing your modest trailer.

Even without the trailer, I would want to know what the dealer is putting in it...given widespread Volvo dealership ignorance on oil...

That bulk oil issue is plagued by every manufacture, but less of an issue with American car manufactures up until recently when most of their specs were simple API oil which is the bare minimum spec.

Judging by what I towed with my 100hp diesel for years and years without issue, I wouldn't be concerned.

1500-2000lbs isn't that heavy, just be sure of what you have in the sump, and probably replace a bit sooner. I would try to respect the Volvo 1500lbs recommendation if possible. Not possible to get a trailer with brakes ?

Are you sure that the towing capacity isn't 3500 lbs.? I would pay close attention to transmission temperatures, an additional transmission cooler might be a good investment, along with a transmission temperature gauge. Along with paying attention to shift patterns, especially hunting for gears going uphill, would definitely help extend transmission life. These are just general ideas, I've never owned a Volvo, I've always heard too many reliability horror stories-hopefully they were just not maintained well!

I'd be more worried about the transmission than the engine. I'd research that.

Pennzoil Platinum makes one of few such A5 oils.

How much do you need to take with you? Do you really need an enclosed trailer or does it bother you to park at a hotel with your bike exposed at night?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Are you sure that the towing capacity isn't 3500 lbs.? I would pay close attention to transmission temperatures, an additional transmission cooler might be a good investment, along with a transmission temperature gauge. Along with paying attention to shift patterns, especially hunting for gears going uphill, would definitely help extend transmission life. These are just general ideas, I've never owned a Volvo, I've always heard too many reliability horror stories-hopefully they were just not maintained well!

I've heard those horror stories, too.

And yeah, they weren't maintained well.

The preponderance of Volvos are bought by non-car people. Folks who ignore noises, don't understand specifications, who think "I bought a reliable car, so it doesn't need service". They're hard on the cars, and Volvos tend to have problems once the warranty runs out as a result. Talk to a Volvo technician - they've got a million owner horror stories.

Then, there are a small group of Volvo enthusiasts. I can buy a wagon, for not much money, that out-accelerates, and out brakes my buddy's new $50,000 BMW while hauling twice as much stuff and seating 7.

I'm in that latter category.

My lowest mileage Volvo at the moment has 195,000 miles on it. The XC has 238,000 on it. Both run perfectly, on their original drivetrains, despite the horror stories of the 2002 model year.

Good maintenance is the key...

Here's an example of my transmission cooler upgrade on a 2002 Volvo: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?27334-02-XC70-Transmission-Flush-From-Bottom

Last edited:
I've owned many V70s and agree with everything Astro14 says. I'm sure you're familiar with Pioneer Valley in South Deerfield. They seem like good people that will comply with Volvo oil spec. Still, I'd verify. If you can swing the auxiliary AT cooler in Astro's link it will help. I'm currently returning from a 7,400 mile trip to Sedona, southern CO and Taos NM in the 240 wagon. It's fully loaded including rocket box and mountain bike on the hitch. AT temps have been 195-200 degrees in the mountains and cruising I 40. A little too high for the current OAT. I'm going to investigate an AT cooler.

Enjoy your retirement. I'm loving mine!

Sam

Last edited:
Pioneer Valley Volvo in Deerfield once helped me out BIG TIME. Great folks!

I was driving my old 240 GLT Wagon back from flying in New York. Late afternoon, driving up 91 to get home to Vermont.

Alternator failure about Springfield.

Rolled into Pioneer Valley Volvo about 4:30.

Left about 5:15 with new brushes and a new rectifier/regulator in the alternator. Didn't even need a new alternator, done in 45 minutes. Modest cost.

I wouldnt worry about it
Without brakes: 1650 lbs
With brakes, 1 7/8" ball: 2,000 lbs
With brakes, 2" ball: 3,500 lbs

unless you are in mountain driving it will be fine even if you are abit over the 1650.

As far as oils.. I would use the thickest allowed that meets the spec.

Trans cooler/ better ATF than factory fill. Engine oil doesn't matter. If you flush it with synthetic fluid if available and install an auxiliary cooler, you should be ready to rock and roll.

The engine is the turbo-supercharged version that cranks out 300hp & 300 lbft of torque.
While it should move along very easily the engine will be operating at a rather high power level for hours at a time.
The towing capacity is 3500lbs with s 2" ball and brakes and 1650lbs without trailer brakes.
I'm not sure where the 50mph limit came from?
The manual is a bit contradictory between 5w20 and 5w30. We bought it used with 18000 miles and lt was serviced at that time.
I changed the oil around 24,000 miles because I'm Leary of dealerships and I didn't trust the electronic oil level feature, I measured the Oil I drained out for my peace of mind and refilled with Pennzoil 5w30 A/5B/5 spec Oil.
As was said I don't think some dealers know or care what Oil comes out the oil dispenser, I doubt they pour it in from a branded container.

This retirement thing became complicated bringing 2 labs with us thus the need for a trailer to haul our clothes, a 260lb chopping block the wife bought for our daughter and 100lbs of special dog food and dog beds 3000 miles away.
Being away for 5 months requires stuff so I bought the smallest lightest enclosed trailer that I could fit my BMW GS in.
I refuse to be held hostage to boredom.
Factor in tools, tire repair kit & air tank for road side tire repair and a Honda EU 2000i for cooking snacks and there you have it.
Finally Retired oh my.
90cummins

Last edited:
That has the ZF8 tranny? I wouldn't worry about it, those are stout, and IIRC they should all have coolers already.

The only thing that would remotely concern me is the high load,high torque/low RPM might make me think about using the thickest permissible oil. Your 5W30 seems fine for that.

Originally Posted by BrandonT
That has the ZF8 tranny? I wouldn't worry about it, those are stout, and IIRC they should all have coolers already.

The only thing that would remotely concern me is the high load,high torque/low RPM might make me think about using the thickest permissible oil. Your 5W30 seems fine for that.

This generation has the Aisin transmission. I would upgrade the Toyota WS fluid first

My wife is at dealer (Mitchel in Connecticut) for 30k mile free service and they told her they use 5w30 synthetic.
I feel better now.
90cummins

When towing at highway speeds, it's the air drag that you consider, not the weight. You want the engine a gear or two down, let it rev more, to keep the turbo as cool as possible. You want to keep boost pressure low. Get an aftermarket gauge, or monitor thru the port with software and a smartphone.

I towed two snowmobiles, and found a very noticeable reduction in drag by pulling the rear of each to the center of the trailer, creating a V shape.

The air at the front of the trailer will take care of itself, it's the turbulence at the rear half of the trailer that makes the biggest difference. Use tarps secured so they don't flap, if you can.

Teardrop shape, flat side forward!

After 2100 miles I can now say my 2016 xc60 tows a 1800lb v nose trailer extremely well.
Early on in the trip to Texas I found it was best to manually shift the transmission to avoid engine lugging.
I used the sport mode display so I could monitor engine output and shift accordingly.
I eventually found that 6th gear was the overall best choice eliminating most shifting and keeping the engine in the sweet spot around 3500rpm. I ran 80mph for 800 miles in 6th gear with occasional spurts up to 85
The car was rock solid on the road at all times in spite of wind & passing trucks.
How this will affect the long term reliability remains to be seen.
So far So happy!!
90cummins

Volvo XC60 towing update: 2/27/2019
After towing my trailer 10822 miles from Massachusetts to Texas then up to clements California and back to Texas at sustained speeds of 75 ~ 80 mph for hours st a time I can report that the little 300 hp 2.0 liter engine did a fantastic job.
I utilized the manual shift mode finding that 6th gear was the best overall choice keeping the engine happy over 3000 rpm for the rolling hills and flats.
I was concerned about oil consumption and the electronic oil level reading procedure not being accurate throughout the trip.
I took it in for a 40,000 mile service and asked the dealer to measure the oil drained.
He said that was not possible however a lot of oil drained out.
There were many times going up long grades where the mpg was reading less than 5 mpg (engine at max output) however it never complained.
The only issue we had was a warning of a low tire pressure.
I pulled off the road ASAP to avoid destroying a wheel tire. I checked the tire pressures and all were 39psi +-
I recalibrated the system and continued on.
All in all I cannot find any issues to complain about.
I still have 2000 miles to go before we are home but at this point in time it is the little engine that could!!
Very pleased.
90cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back