2015 Odyssey - Which synthetic ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
Maxlife ATF drain and fill every 30-50K and your transmission will not fail because of lubericant.

Dave, which friction blend and add pack is most like Maxlife?

Some transmissions are very picky and no one has yet explained to me how a generic can equal all these specific types and ratings.

I just don't see it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
DW-1 has its deficiencies.
As mentioned, DW-1 does not say synthetic on the bottle. Not proof that DW-1 is synthetic. https://s.ecrater.com/stores/248831/5107f9aca1c50_248831b.jpg
In addition, DW-1 is deteriorates and causes torque converter lock up clutch judder in some Odysseys from 2012-2015.

From service bulletin 16-060 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10084801-2280.pdf
"judder...was caused by deteriorated transmission fluid. The transmission fluid deteriorates quicker than expected when it is exposed to intermittent high heat loads under specific driving conditions. "
Corrective actions are described however DW-1 was deteriorated quicker than expected as vehicles were originally built. Hard to recommend DW-1 in view of this.

My 06 Odyssey had hanging shifts; hard, banging downshifts esp. from 2-1; and just overall felt like poo when I got it at 134k. I really thought it was going to need a tranny with how bad it felt. It had been serviced at a Honda dealer all it's life, with records (it was my friend's since brand new). I did a 4x D&F with MaxLife ATF per the manual, and hard-reset the computer by removing both battery terminals after the last fluid change. EVERYTHING was markedly improved right after this change, but still had some occasional bad behavior. Over the next 500-1k miles, things slowly started smoothing out even more to where it now shifts like I would expect a brand new trans to shift. Now, I change one drain worth (about 3.3 quarts) every 20-25k depending on when my oil changes fall, and it just turned over 180k this past weekend. I certainly don't drive it easy, getting some full-throttle downshifts and runs to the redline at least once a week while I drive it.

I've never personally used DW-1, but since MaxLife ATF works in every vehicle I have and has returned such good results in the Honda, it's all I stock for ATF. I know it "skirts" the certifications for some trannies, but I have over 120k of MaxLife ATF usage across 3 vehicles and not one single transmission issue. Plus, at only $17.87/gal at Walmart, it's an amazing value!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
My 06 Odyssey had hanging shifts; hard, banging downshifts esp. from 2-1; and just overall felt like poo when I got it at 134k. I really thought it was going to need a tranny with how bad it felt. It had been serviced at a Honda dealer all it's life, with records (it was my friend's since brand new). I did a 4x D&F with MaxLife ATF per the manual, and hard-reset the computer by removing both battery terminals after the last fluid change. EVERYTHING was markedly improved right after this change, but still had some occasional bad behavior. Over the next 500-1k miles, things slowly started smoothing out even more to where it now shifts like I would expect a brand new trans to shift. Now, I change one drain worth (about 3.3 quarts) every 20-25k depending on when my oil changes fall, and it just turned over 180k this past weekend. I certainly don't drive it easy, getting some full-throttle downshifts and runs to the redline at least once a week while I drive it.

I've never personally used DW-1, but since MaxLife ATF works in every vehicle I have and has returned such good results in the Honda, it's all I stock for ATF. I know it "skirts" the certifications for some trannies, but I have over 120k of MaxLife ATF usage across 3 vehicles and not one single transmission issue. Plus, at only $17.87/gal at Walmart, it's an amazing value!

Good to hear.

I love to stock up on universal fluids myself and someone paving the way prior always makes me feel better especially if I know the details
- like which year model cars & trans?

I won't alter trans fluids like I will oil while under warranty - after warranty different deal.
Hondas VTM 4/ dual Pump II - is also another case where I will use factory stuff or match the spec identically.

I always at least try to match the spec claimed and Ive seen lots of problems with type mismatching stuff like failing to go into reverse or banging etc, and I've seen other combos work just fine like you describe.

UD

Another Maxlife user here happy with the results. Based on my research here, did two drain and fills a few weeks ago with ML on my 2015 Ody (super easy DIY job, as previously stated). Shifts well, and hopefully I'll avoid the dreaded transmission woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back