2015 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke 38k oci broken crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would strip the bypass and everything aftermarket off the engine before I let the Ford dealer see it. I agree with the broken crank due to bad metallurgy (the 6.2/6.5 GM ones were infamous for it), but I wouldn't want to give them a $10 grand excuse not to warrant it. I can't believe a BRAND NEW 6.7 crate longblock is only $7000 CDN, no way it's that cheap, plus labor, etc.

this truck is out of its warranty period and yes a Brand new non-reman long block with warranty is $7062

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Hmm. I can see 5000 hours before worn piston rings, low compression, worn bearings, etc, but a crank breaking seems more like a manufacturing flaw. You said this engine was "deleted", what kind of tuning does it have?

Has a SCT X4 tuner with AMDP custom tuning w/stock hp

Some engines just fail early. There's tons of those things out there, doubt its a common issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So what ridiculously high hp setting did you have it on?

stock so 300hp at the crank, prob dyno 230RWHP

Originally Posted By: DustinC

Sorry ignore my post. Didn't know you already answered that.

My 2015 is 440HP/860TQ stock--yours should be similar if not more with the delete in place. I have read in different forums that while not uncommon for a PSD crank to fail, there have been some. I would expect to see more of this rather than less as long as the "HP Wars" continue with the same components. The 2017+ models have upped the TQ to 925 and it was rumored that Ford wanted 500HP/1000TQ in the 2019 models.

Sorry to hear about your troubles...but how is it out of warranty? 38,000KM is less than 24K miles and it is only 2 to 2-1/2 years old? Am I misreading something?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

My 2015 is 440HP/860TQ stock--yours should be similar if not more with the delete in place. I have read in different forums that while not uncommon for a PSD crank to fail, there have been some. I would expect to see more of this rather than less as long as the "HP Wars" continue with the same components. The 2017+ models have upped the TQ to 925 and it was rumored that Ford wanted 500HP/1000TQ in the 2019 models.

Sorry to hear about your troubles...but how is it out of warranty? 38,000KM is less than 24K miles and it is only 2 to 2-1/2 years old? Am I misreading something?

Close to 6,000 hours.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Close to 6,000 hours.
Your post made me curious. I read through my warranty and I could find no reference to hours. Only time (years) and miles. I also read through the diesel supplement and could not find any reference to the warranty and hours.

Where are you seeing this (just to update my knowledge)?

nIW0jq.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Close to 6,000 hours.
Your post made me curious. I read through my warranty and I could find no reference to hours. Only time (years) and miles. I also read through the diesel supplement and could not find any reference to the warranty and hours.

Where are you seeing this (just to update my knowledge)?

nIW0jq.jpg

Deleted and reprogrammed?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Deleted and reprogrammed?
Yes; he indicated that it was (which would void the warranty anyway), but I was curious of where the statement of the warranty is over when a certain number of engine hours is reached. I can find nothing related to that in any of my Ford documentation--the warranty is based upon years and miles (at least what I can find).

My F550 has nothing that indicates hours vs mileage. Not sure what OP means regarding that?

Last edited:
I'm sure there is an hour meter in that computer somewhere.

I don't think you should have a snapped crank -that sounds like a weak forge - Do you know if its a single or no twist forge?

Sounds like the India forge may have a bit of a rep going already.

UD

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
My F550 has nothing that indicates hours vs mileage. Not sure what OP means regarding that?

OP said he was running a PTO - or power take off like a tractor might run a pump or a other piece of equipment.

If this is the case one is running and stressing the engine but not turning an odomteter - so the maintenance schedule need to be based on time/hours not miles.

He said he was running it "hard" for 6000 hours - lets say this equates to the load he would have at 90 MPH - the equivalent mileage would then be 540K

UD

Thanks UD. My warranty info doesn't refer to hours, just miles. Maybe if you have a PTO setup there is an amendment to the warranty to include hours or miles. Night all.

Anyone know the expected lifespan of a powerstroke? I assumed that 6000hrs was close to the end of the road anyway, I know Ford redesigned the 6.7 for 2017 and they promise it will make it to 10,000hrs, but they also promised the 6.0 was a great engine
smirk.gif

Funny, my 6.0 has over 6,000 hours and never broke a crank, nor a shortblock issue. I guess they lied to you about your 6.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back