2014 Subaru Outback, 6MT with 150K miles - opinions?

Looking for a 2013-2014 Outback with 6MT and found this.
What's a reasonable offer for this one below? worth pursuing?
I am in NoVA area and MT is hard to find or sell here, you know DC area with all the traffic. This plus the accident gives it low resale value.

Ask how much oil it burns, because it is in the year vintage where that FB was awful. Reasonable offer is tough since its a salvage rebuild. I've bought and sold older ones for about the same price with clear titles.

rebuilt/savage title.. i'd pass.

Those are also of the era of terrible bushings so it probably needs all of them..
and A/C was not the best/most reliable.
had a 2013 for 7 years. (6mt)
It got a ring job, then a short block.. and still burned 1/qt per 1800-2300 miles.

I sold my 2011 with 60k miles for $6500. That was an EJ engine in 2011. Car was a premium with killer stereo, leather and sunroof. Great driving car much better than the new ones IMO. Mine had a rap in the engine and it used some oil.
I would think closer to $3500 to 4K for that one

My brother lives in Powhatan and is a mechanic & state inspector. If you’re not comfortable looking for all the concern areas (esp w/a salvage title) on Subies, shoot me a PM, I can probably have him look it over for you.

Personally, $6.5k with a salvage title and a decade old leaves a bit of room for negotiation.

@Rand you reminded me my front LCA bushings were split - but the vehicle steered OK and tire wear was ok. Were those the bushings you were referencing?

Last edited:
@Rand you reminded me my front LCA bushings were split - but the vehicle steered OK and tire wear was ok. Were those the busing you were referencing?
The control arm bushings. All of them were dry rotted with BIG cracks/tears at 5 years.. worse than a 10year old hyundai accent.
If was very close to chunking out and doing wobble.
My 2011 and 2015 foresters were also showing visible deterioration but not that severe at 3-4 years old.

Looking for a 2013-2014 Outback with 6MT and found this.
What's a reasonable offer for this one below? worth pursuing?
I am in NoVA area and MT is hard to find or sell here, you know DC area with all the traffic. This plus the accident gives it low resale value.

I thought 2012 was the last year for the manual Option outbacks? In Colorado that would go for a mint salvage or not. Contact the seller and ask how much work was needed. Not all salvage vehicles were wrapped around a tree.

The control arm bushings. All of them were dry rotted with BIG cracks/tears at 5 years.. worse than a 10year old hyundai accent.
If was very close to chunking out and doing wobble.
My 2011 and 2015 foresters were also showing visible deterioration but not that severe at 3-4 years old.

Not a big deal to replace and cost like $15 from the dealer, at least on my 18 Impreza,
IMG_1803.JPG

If it looks and runs good, maybe offer low $5's.

Not unless you want annoying squeaks, rattles and a harsh ride.
I have them. That depends how many bushings is on suspension. Squeaks are strictly product of poor application of lubricant. Rattles are product of assembly.
If bushings are that big of an issue, I would try it. Get softest one and see.

I thought 2012 was the last year for the manual Option outbacks? In Colorado that would go for a mint salvage or not.
That's what I was thinking also. My brother lives in Boulder.... If I lived in VA I'd buy this thing and send it out to CO for my brother to flip.

Reactions: Pew
Like previous posts said these years were well known for 2 stroke levels of oil consumption. I think they finally fixed the external head gasket leaks of the EJ series with the FB engine however. Wheel bearings are also a trouble spot for these cars and depending on rust you could be in for lots of frustration and bloody knuckles. I was impressed with the interior quality of my 2003, also impressed/horrified of the amount of oil seeping out of it. Kind of like a Detroit Diesel -71 series. I do think Subaru quality has slipped some judging by my 2021.

That's what I was thinking also. My brother lives in Boulder.... If I lived in VA I'd buy this thing and send it out to CO for my brother to flip.
Ahhh Boulder The people's republic of Colorado. Where everyone has more dollars than sense.

Like previous posts said these years were well known for 2 stroke levels of oil consumption. I think they finally fixed the external head gasket leaks of the EJ series with the FB engine however. Wheel bearings are also a trouble spot for these cars and depending on rust you could be in for lots of frustration and bloody knuckles. I was impressed with the interior quality of my 2003, also impressed/horrified of the amount of oil seeping out of it. Kind of like a Detroit Diesel -71 series. I do think Subaru quality has slipped some judging by my 2021.
Not impressed with the quality coming out of SIA (Indiana) We had to dump a Brand new '22 Outback in a year due to multiple issues.
Luckily during that multi-year virus epidemic lack of car availability drove her trade-in price up to what she paid for the thing!
But, had to pay sticker for the 2023 Crosstrek. One of the last Premium trim with a stick shift.

NO more Forester or Crosstrek MT's :cry:

Back