2014 Jetta...bad heater core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switching hoses for a back flush will most likely open this back up. From what I've seen the 14 and 15 my had some very narrow passages that will eventually clog up. Getting to the heater core is not too bad.

Last edited:
I agree that the dealer is not diagnosing the problem correctly.
The heater core on my BMW below was replaced sometime in the late 90s (have the receipt too).
Considering I only changed my coolant when work was done on the car, I should have had many more coolant issues - only a radiator replacement in the last 17 years of my ownership.

As much as I want to get on the VW hate bandwagon (which I usually do), it seems like an issue with a lazy/unskilled tech at the dealership.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

As much as I want to get on the VW hate bandwagon (which I usually do), it seems like an issue with a lazy/unskilled tech at the dealership.

No tech at a dealership will ever waste the time to flush or blow out a heater core, when he can just swap parts and make more money by doing it.

Parts 'til it starts, as they say.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by gregk24

Hopefully this will be the last repair for a WHILE. Water pump at 38K miles, radiator fan at 48K, wheel speed sensor at 49K and now heater core around 55K.

Par for the course with Volkswagen.

I'm assuming the heater core had a hole corroded in it?

ONLY par for the course with Volkswagen Of America - the American management is subpar, American staff are subpar, the Factories in MExico and Brazil are laughable.
Sort out your management & manufacturing issues and the products will be equal in build quality to our European vehicles.
Its not VW, its the Franchise owner/operator.

Any chance of getting some goodwill considering you seem to buy a few of them, its been dealer serviced, and low miles? Im very surprised at the clog, we have a customer with 175 on a 14 and that thing is still going, albeit beat up. Id start to hedge my bets in case they come back with "oh the core was bad but you still need the blend door actuator for another xxx$" Hope they got it right with diag, I havent had many of them block up in the 20 years ive been working on them, mostly common with the early B5 passats and A4s, not that common on others.

Originally Posted by Olas

Hopefully this will be the last repair for a WHILE. Water pump at 38K miles, radiator fan at 48K, wheel speed sensor at 49K and now heater core around 55K.

ONLY par for the course with Volkswagen Of America - the American management is subpar, American staff are subpar, the Factories in MExico and Brazil are laughable.
Sort out your management & manufacturing issues and the products will be equal in build quality to our European vehicles.

I'm sure if you contacted Germany … they'd close the doors based on your feedback

I was thinking about this, we bought several new GM cars during the dark '80s years and didn't have nearly this much trouble with them all combined. Back then you expected to take your new car back a few times for the dealer to fix what the assembly line got wrong. A guy must be in brand love to buy another new one after that list. Thank goodness for warranty?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Olas

I'm sure if you contacted Germany … they'd close the doors based on your feedback

lol.gif

Anti-American much?

It's not our fault. It's Volkswagen's responsibility to ensure the quality of the parts used on their vehicles, whether it's in Armenia or America.

VW has a long-standing problem with build quality, electronics, components, dealer service department relations with customers, and just plain honesty and integrity.

The list of problems the OP detailed that he's had with that car in only the few miles he has is an absolute joke and a disgrace. And then the dealer going ahead and swapping out a heater core that could have been flushed...well...it just illustrates my point about how abysmal VW service departments are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back