2014 Camry, Iridium Plugs, 75,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
IME, these really ARE 120k plugs. I'd not mess with them yet.

There are work-arounds for doing a DIY transmission service if you search for the instructions. But I hear you on the pain of no fill tube. I won't do that again, either.

Def not a waste. A 0 mile spark plug will have its benefits over one that's had 75k miles of use. And why not? They are super easy to change on a 4 cylinder Camry.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I just changed the OEM Denso's in my Accord at 87K.
What a difference. No more hesitation at acceleration. Smooth idle.

Imagined placebo effect.

Nothing placebo about it, Biff.

We are thoroughly enjoying our 14.5 Camry. The engine is really a gem for an economy minded one. It feels on par with our 3800 in the Grand Prix that it replaced. The combo with the 6 speed auto is great. Lots of low end for a four. Plus mileage has been averaging around 31 mpg. We plan on doing all maintenance according to the manufacturer except for ATF. We hope to be able to use a fluid extractor to take 3 qts out and put 3 qts in every 30K.

Originally Posted By: planeman223
I changed my 8 spark plugs on my LS460 at 90,000 miles and felt no difference.

Same here - I changed the plugs in the Grand Marquis at about 140,000 miles, and it made no difference in MPG or power. At 140,000 miles, the plug gap was pretty wide, but it passed the California smog test a couple of months before I replaced the plugs.

I should look and see if I have a couple of those old plugs still sitting around and take some photos of them.

Still have the original plugs on the 05 Matrix with 123k. Will change them soon. After I clean the TB, IACV and replace the IMG.

I think the top tier OE iridium plugs with the iridium center electrode and the platinum ground, etc. and not the lesser version iridiums should last 100-120K miles. That's not to say you won't notice degradation at 75K-90K. I've yet to want to run these top level plugs to that 100K plus mileage because I can feel sluggish acceleration that's corrected by new plugs with no other input involved. It's not night and day but noticeable in the two small displacement fours where I've replaced OEM iridium plugs in the 75-80K mile range. Placebo my heinie.

I found iridiums in my 02 camry when I put more iridiums in. Those came out due to a misfire and also looked perfect.

Turns out I had a bad coil pack-- this car eats them like incandescent light bulbs. No CEL. I had to wait for it to get quite bad for even a pending code.

The alternative is to buy a new coil, put it on cyl #1, then rotate the spare to #2 the next week and on and on.

I'm happy Toyota won't fail me for a smog test-- like VW, they're on my side. Unhappy with the supposed diagnostics.

I changed my irdium plugs at 105k, that's what the book calls for.
The old plugs came out looking good, but I had already bought new plugs so the new went in.
I couldn't tell any difference after the new plugs.

Iridium plugs can go a LOOONG time.. I replaced the plugs in my Fusion @ 215,000 miles, and it turned out they were the factory originals.. so clearly some can go out past 200,000 miles. 100,000 miles should be a cake walk for most.

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
Mine is the 2014.5 model, SE to be exact. It did add the back up camera as standard and crash testing improved to deal with a poor offset head on rating if memory serves. Maybe I'll just leave them. I have noticed a very, very slight shudder when I first start driving the car but it goes away within a few seconds. Is there a way to drain our fluid thru the trans cooler lines or anything to avoid that contraption they have on the bottom of the transmission?

just drain the fluid out cold. measure what comes out and replace.

Maybe apples and oranges but every AT in my RWD cars did that cold shudder upon take off when the ATF was a pint low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back