2012 MDX Trouble areas

2012 MDX

125k miles. Loaded, one owner. Serviced at the local dealer since new.

Anything to look out for? I'm sure the Acura dealer will give me full records as I know the SA personally. This is the age range for transmission and/or oil consumption, right?

2012 MDX

Anything to look out for? I'm sure the Acura dealer will give me full records as I know the SA personally. This is the age range for transmission and/or oil consumption, right?
RVW,

Can't answer your question on a 2012, but want to mention we have a 2006 MDX, was my Wife's- now my youngest Son's (he is 27). Only issue ever was the alternator failed in 2017. That is it.

As mentioned above, oil consumption can get heavy. But as long as oil is topped off - it is a very nice family vehicle that will hit 300k or more. Comfortable on long trips, extremely capable off pavement for a crossover, and handles well for the size. A friend of mine has one, no real issues aside from oil consumption. He just made it a habit to check oil every fill up and top off as necessary. He has custom exhaust, so no cat poisoning to worry about. Depending on driving style his 2008 MDX takes 1qt per 2k-3k miles. I told him to come to me first when he decides to sell it.

I’m not aware of many issues with these. We’ve got one in the family and I know of another with a co-worker, both high mileage. No unscheduled repairs. BUT, there is an extended warranty or repair agreement for certain years if the dealer diagnoses high oil consumption.

2012 MDX

My friend has a 2011 that I maintain and it's a big oil burner. Keep checking the oil level at least weekly. Other then that they run well.

If equipped with ADS shocks, watch out! We had 2009 MDX that had them and they were replaced once under warranty and they failed again within 4-5 years. I ended up swapping them out to base shock system and disabled the switch to turn off dash warning. Rode much better, IMO, and the new owner was told about the swap before it was sold. He was happy with the swap as he didn't have to deal with it for many years. Likely won't get another vehicle with ADS.

Also, the Bluetooth module will likely die as well or cause battery drain. During our 11 year ownership, the power steering pump and shocks were changed under warranty as "major" repair. AC, 5 speed tranny, engine, AWD system were all solid. 2007-09 3.7L didn't have the oil consumption issue.

Called the Acura dealer; the timing belt was recommended at 105k miles and at ever service until the last time they saw it at 125k miles. It is now at 127k miles traded @ the BMW dealer.

Trying to work the deal with either a ~$1500 discount or the timing belt service done before purchase.

I can do the job but I don't think I want to.

So take the discount? They're at $15 and I think I could get it for $13,5 or so.

If I do that I'll pull the car down for a week and zero all the maintenance + full correction and ceramic coating.
I wouldn’t buy any MDX with the 3.7, but that is just me.

It'll make it to 200k and beyond. Just have extra oil with you and check on every fuel fill-up, add as necessary. Running out of oil or snapping the timing belt are likely the only two things that could kill that 3.7L. Seems like you're ready to tackle the timing belt, and keeping oil level in check is easy.

It is covered befire but some did burn oil in 2011-2013 vintage of 3.7L. They changed something because 2007-2010 did not. I had a 2007 MDX(first year of design) and rust got it. The 3.7L was beyond reliable to 210k for me however thirsty and required premium.

Frequent oil changes (6 mos. or 5k miles) and transmission drain and fills. With the trans every 15k at the most if mostly city miles.

Back