2012 Mazda 2 Air Filter 30k Miles *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother bought her 2 brand new, and as such she wanted to adhere to the maintenance schedule and keep it documented to add resale value later on down the line. Mazda recommends replacing the air filter at 30k miles among other things. This is the filter after it was removed, compared side by side with the new STP that replaced it. Engine and cabin AFs get clogged pretty quickly here in Tucson. Lots of blowing dust and we only get a couple months where the rain keeps it all down. The air filter housing was not opened up until it was time to replace the filter at 30k. No need to introduce dirt when we stick to the maintenance schedule anyway.

The new filter seemed to be adequately constructed. It had a rubber gasket on the edge that the OE filer did not. The pleat spacing is not as uniform as the OE filter either. As long as it functions as it should, I don't fuss much over appearance.

I'm a new member, so I'm posting a few threads with pics to break the ice.
smile.gif

Mazda%202%20Air%20Filter%2030k%20miles.jpg

I think he's holding the old one higher than the new one. If not the new one will last longer because it will have a gap of around 1 1/2". LOL

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I think he's holding the old one higher than the new one. If not the new one will last longer because it will have a gap of around 1 1/2". LOL

ROD
right, it won't filter much if anything at all...

You're seeing wrong.
smile.gif
I must have created an optical illusion. I inspected both filter closely as I do with all new parts, and they were exactly the same except for the rubber seal on the STP filter.

Nothing wrong with changing the filter every 30k, but some of the boxes tell you to change it at 12k...yeah right, we all know low dust conditions can go over 60k.

I do understand that low dust environments can really squeeze a lot of miles out of an AF. The best way to know is to install a restriction gauge, but my mother wanted to remain stock and so we stuck to Mazda's recommendations.

Originally Posted By: mannys9130
I do understand that low dust environments can really squeeze a lot of miles out of an AF. The best way to know is to install a restriction gauge, but my mother wanted to remain stock and so we stuck to Mazda's recommendations.

Your Mother seems to really know her automotive stuff

I like filters like that, with that "woven fiber" media instead of traditional paper. They seem extremely durable, and seal great. My two Toyotas had them. If there was a plastic filter chassis, it was completely encased with the media. It didn't even require an extra rubber seal -- the filter box just clamped down on the outer lip and it sealed great. A+ for a simple design.

I wonder what the cost difference is between the OEM filter and the STP. I've found that with some brands, the OEM filter is a similar price.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I like filters like that, with that "woven fiber" media instead of traditional paper. They seem extremely durable, and seal great. My two Toyotas had them. If there was a plastic filter chassis, it was completely encased with the media. It didn't even require an extra rubber seal -- the filter box just clamped down on the outer lip and it sealed great. A+ for a simple design.

I wonder what the cost difference is between the OEM filter and the STP. I've found that with some brands, the OEM filter is a similar price.

In the case of the two Toyota products I've owned, they are the only filters that fit the air box right and seal well. Anything I tried with the plastic chassis didn't seem to clamp nearly as tight

The STP was a good fit. It was not the OE design, but it did fit nicely and sealed nicely. This filter was difficult to find locally, and with the dealer across town I decided to give the STP a shot.

Unfortunately I won't be able to give an update on the filter. The Ford F150 in my signature replaced the Mazda 2 a few weeks ago.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mannys9130
You're seeing wrong.
smile.gif
I must have created an optical illusion. I inspected both filter closely as I do with all new parts, and they were exactly the same except for the rubber seal on the STP filter.
oh ok, I'm not kidding you when I tell you, I have seen more then 5 cars with the wrong sized engine air filter...people are just, not bright to say the least.

Looks good and welcome to BITOG!

If you want, join the M2O Mazda2 Owner's Group on Facebook. Lots of tech and people to help in there.

I have a 2011 2 that I autocross and am currently awaiting UOA results to test OEM Mazda air filter vs the K&N intake(from DDMWorks) just installed. I got a baseline in this thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3903228/Re:_2011_Mazda2_1.5l_-_Pennzoi

That may be of interest for you. I'll be posting the results from the oil change I JUST did some time in the next 2 weeks hopefully(probably won't send out until late this week).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back