2010 Fusion 2.5 - 7,406 mi - Peak Synthetic 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I sat on this sample for an entire OCI.. kind of forgot about it, and then sent it in alongside my most recent OCI.

So... This is 1 of 2 UOAs that I got back from Blackstone today for my 2010 Fusion.

Mileage on car at the time of this OCI was 252,271 miles. Original engine. This oil was in the engine between December, 2017 and April, 2018. I must say, I'm happy with the results. Wear metals have been steadily declining since I had the top-end work done on the engine back in April, 2016, and at this point, appear to be BETTER than what they were prior to that service.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Nice! Pretty boring, just what you want from a UOA.

Yeah, boring is good. Looks like the Motorcraft FL400 filter did it's job too!

I've been seeing a lot of great looking UOAs lately from oil that is quite inexpensive, especially compared to another brand.

Maybe someone will reduce their prices or make a more stout product that can closely reflect the price/cost they charge for it?

Originally Posted By: irv
I've been seeing a lot of great looking UOAs lately from oil that is quite inexpensive, especially compared to another brand.

Maybe someone will reduce their prices or make a more stout product that can closely reflect the price/cost they charge for it?

LOL this!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
^^^ more lame attempts to bash Mobil 1
18.gif

Really looking back at those posts I didn't see one mention of Mobil. Did I miss something or are you the Mobil troll?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
18.gif

Really looking back at those posts I didn't see one mention of Mobil. Did I miss something or are you the Mobil troll?

irv is a vocal opponent to Mobil's products, and that was the "other product" hinted at in the post. So yeah, you missed something.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
18.gif

irv is a vocal opponent to Mobil's products, and that was the "other product" hinted at in the post. So yeah, you missed something.

I think your prejudice is reading something into that that many of us are missing.

18.gif

I think your prejudice is reading something into that that many of us are missing.

Don't think so bud.

Most on here know my personal thoughts with regards to Mobil oils so I won't get into all the reasons for that other than to say I think Mobil oils are overrated and overpriced.

Will your engine grenade using Mobil oils, I highly doubt it, but I honestly believe many oils exist out there, including Pennzoil, my oil of choice, that are not only cheaper to purchase, but are also a better product.

But hey, I can send him a PM and ask him if he was alluding to Mobil 1 in his post and I'd wager he'll come in here and give me a yes on that one.

It isn't a prejudice, I've had several discussions with him about it and he's never shied away from stating his opinion on the matter.

Playing 'devil's advocate' here.. irv is not completely off base here. The UOA posted above, as well as the other one that follows (using Mobil Super Syn) both show incredibly good numbers. Additionally, both jugs of oil used for these OCIs were quite cheap. Granted, they were on discount, but I got the Peak for $15 for a 5-qt jug, and the Mobil Super Syn was around $20 on sale for a 5-qt jug.

I have to question if a similar run to either of these using Mobil-1 would result in any better numbers in my Fusion. Considering how expensive Mobil-1 is nowadays, I can't see spending the extra on it when other great, cheaper, options are providing excellent results.

Not knocking Mobil-1, just pointing out that making a cost-to-results comparison is fair.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Playing 'devil's advocate' here.. irv is not completely off base here. The UOA posted above, as well as the other one that follows (using Mobil Super Syn) both show incredibly good numbers. Additionally, both jugs of oil used for these OCIs were quite cheap. Granted, they were on discount, but I got the Peak for $15 for a 5-qt jug, and the Mobil Super Syn was around $20 on sale for a 5-qt jug.

I have to question if a similar run to either of these using Mobil-1 would result in any better numbers in my Fusion. Considering how expensive Mobil-1 is nowadays, I can't see spending the extra on it when other great, cheaper, options are providing excellent results.

Not knocking Mobil-1, just pointing out that making a cost-to-results comparison is fair.

Any approved oil at a sane interval will yield good results, that's the whole point of the approval process and so yes, irv IS correct in his statement, despite him taking a little jab at Mobil, which isn't unexpected.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

A 5 quart jug of M1 in the standard or high mileage varieties costs $22 at my local Wal-Mart. I don't know how much less Peak Synthetic is but in the grand scheme of things, $22 is not that much money. You'll pay twice that to get your oil changed at Iffy Lube with unknown bulk tank conventional. I personally still think M1 is a solid value at the everyday price.

I'm running the ProDS that I cleaned up on for $7.17 a jug, but I wouldn't hesitate to run M1 in the future and I wouldn't feel like it wasn't a good value because some Warren blended synoil cost less.

Brands (and to a lessor degree, grade) is of no consequence here.
The 2.5L engine series is VERY easy wearing.
I've gotten similar results out of my 2010 Fusion 2.5L, using dino oil.

Peak syn, Mobil 1, QSGB, ST dino - it really does not make any difference.
These engines just wear incredibly well, presuming all the systems (fuel, coolant, air intake) are in proper working order.

This is why it's a boring (desirably so!) UOA.

Patman said:
18.gif

Don't think so bud.

Most on here know my personal thoughts with regards to Mobil oils so I won't get into all the reasons for that other than to say I think Mobil oils are overrated and overpriced.

Will your engine grenade using Mobil oils, I highly doubt it, but I honestly believe many oils exist out there, including Pennzoil, my oil of choice, that are not only cheaper to purchase, but are also a better product.

But hey, I can send him a PM and ask him if he was alluding to Mobil 1 in his post and I'd wager he'll come in here and give me a yes on that one.

It isn't a prejudice, I've had several discussions with him about it and he's never shied away from stating his opinion on the matter.

I plead the fifth.
grin.gif

Until someone is willing to run 3 consecutive runs of PP vs. 3 consecutive runs of M1 (under near-identical driving situations, same engine, car, etc.), it's all just opinion and brand preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back