2009 Honda Civic AC Compressor not working...

I have a friend that was told that his compressor and condenser need to be replaced ($3,000!). We checked with a simple gauge and it was in the 'red'.... clutch was not engaging. When a repair is that expensive, we naturally want to doubt the diagnosis. That very well could be the case. But what are the odds that it needs both? Is this i common thing for that generation of Civic?

Just had a new compressor installed on a 2007 civic, Denso Compressor was $250 USD from Rock Auto. Install and recharge was $600 CAD.

Didn't need a new condenser for ours.

If the system still has some pressure I might try adding a little refrigerant with a can. Could also be an air gap issue on the compressor clutch. Removing the shim sometimes fixes this.

Common on those years Honda & Acuras. Same issue with mine except I helped matters adding to much R134a. My mechanic quoted me anywhere between 800 and 1200 bucks to replace/fix. Nope -- other vehicles in my signature have AC.

It's common to replace the condenser when replacing the compressor. If failure of the compressor has contaminated the system, the condenser is difficult to flush.
Not always though it can happen.

Ive had poor performance on a 2010 Civic that I maintain when the secondary fan quit. Original compressor on it but I top up the freon every 6 months or so. Leaky Schrader valves have been an issue as well.

Too little info to tell what’s actually broken. If the pressure is in the red, assuming the low side and clutch not engaging, it doesn’t automatically mean a bad compressor.
It could be a bad clutch, the system could be overcharged, the radiator fan be be faulty etc.

I would suggest finding another shop.

Thanks everyone! All helpful input. That's a chunk of change (I think a second opinion would be worth it). That's enough for him to consider waiting until spring. Though he is willing to work on things himself (and I'm willing to assist him).

Thanks everyone! All helpful input. That's a chunk of change (I think a second opinion would be worth it). That's enough for him to consider waiting until spring. Though he is willing to work on things himself (and I'm willing to assist him).
If you are willing to DIY, then first order of business is to get a multimeter and measure if the clutch is even getting 12 volts and go from there. Opening the system up and changing the compressor should be at the end of the diagnostic process.

Back