Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Ram01
Clean the throttle. Body also

+1, spray out the air-intake...

How do I do that?

Take off the rubber connector between the air filter and the air intake manifold. Use the throttle to open the butterfly (when the car is off) and spray away using a good air intake cleaner spray like CRC. I usually see tons of gunk and carbon deposits come out and it noticeably improves performance. At 66K, it might not make a huge difference though. I'd have a good fuel injector cleaner in the tank while doing this, or at least Top Tier gas.

When you reattach everything and start the car, keep in mind it is going to possibly stall or run rough for a bit...

I've cleaned quite a few of the drive by wire throttle bodies. I have yet to have any fail from being opened by hand. I've seen some people talk about stripping the gears in the motor...just open the throttle body slowly and don't let it snap shut and it shouldn't give you any trouble. I normally use a microfiber cloth to clean the throttle body with CRC throttle body cleaner. I just use an old microfiber cloth that I've washed, but is stained from cleaning my cars, and I wouldn't use to detail again. Seems to work great at getting all the gunk out quickly. Spray off the MAF sensor with some MAF cleaner, if you see junk on it, very lightly use a Q tip sprayed with MAF cleaner to remove. Very gently. After this kind of maintenance I generally put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank, Seafoam or Lucas brand.

It is perfectly okay to manually push the throttle body open, so long as it's your fingers and not a scarp implement such as a screwdriver doing it. It does have an electric motor and gearing that moves the butterfly open and closed under normal operation. It also springs that move the butterfly to a default high-idle position that is considered sufficient for moving the vehicle around should the electricals fail. Your fingers moving the butterfly put no no more undue force on anything than those springs do continuously while you drive the car.

That said, only open the throttle body manually with the ignition switched off. If you manually open the throttle body with the ignition switched on you'll set DTCs and I believe the PCM might respond my ignoring the accelerator pedal until cycle the ignition key a few times or clear the codes.

To the best of my knowledge it's only Nissans and VWs that don't like cleaning dirty drive by wire throttle bodies and require a software reset after doing so. You should have no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back