2008 Mazda 6 2.3 Kendall 0W20 7400mi...Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I sent off another UOA. As you can see I switched to Kendall's FS 0W20 from their 5W20. Looks like the return was pretty good to me but being a NOOB I hate to draw conlcusions myself. So what do you all think? Blackstone was more than enthusiastic about the numbers and Suggested that I go 9,000 mi on the next OCI.
Html:
OIL Kendall FS0w20 Kendall FS5w20

MILES IN USE 7,369 5,028

MILES 68,530 57,341

SAMPLE TAKEN 11/22/12 6/13/12

ALUMINUM 3 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 7 6

COPPER 5 2

LEAD 0 0

TIN 4 0

MOLYBDENUM 50 66

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 77 102

POTASSIUM 0 0

BORON 75 92

SILICON 6 7

SODIUM 6 4

CALCIUM 2123 2256

MAGNESIUM 7 10

PHOSPHORUS 629 699

ZINC 802 752

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.5 0.4

WATER 0.0 0.0

FLASHPOINT ºF 390 425

SUS VIS 210ºF 51.4 50.3

cSt @ 212ºF 7.69 7.37

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0.0 0.0

TBN 1.2 2.5

Last edited:
With a TBN on 1.2 and 1.0 concidered low, I'd cap the OCI at 7.5K and call it good. Wear numbers are about the same on a per mile basis. Id do another run and see what the tin and cooper do. With a 7.5K OCI, could save some money and use the Syn-blend kendall.
Whats your driving pattern?

The app I use says I drive and avg of 68.12 a day. most of that is a 70 round trip to work and back with 60 of that being highway at 70-75 mph. I drive pretty conservatively all the time.

I get Kendall FS 0w20 and 5w20 for 3.62/qt.... so cost isnt too big of a deal. with that said. Ive been thinking of using a different filter for the longer oci.

Originally Posted By: hcbarger
The app I use says I drive and avg of 68.12 a day. most of that is a 70 round trip to work and back with 60 of that being highway at 70-75 mph. I drive pretty conservatively all the time.

I get Kendall FS 0w20 and 5w20 for 3.62/qt.... so cost isnt too big of a deal. with that said. Ive been thinking of using a different filter for the longer oci.

Thats a good price, where do you get the FS at for that price? What filter are you currently using?

Excellent report. Thanks for sharing. I'd cap it at 7500mi like previously mentioned and call it a day.

I work for an automotive parts warehouse that sells all types of Kendall oil and transmission fluid. I get it at a pretty good discount. I was using casite filters but the warehouse just switched to Champ.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
With a TBN on 1.2 and 1.0 concidered low, I'd cap the OCI at 7.5K and call it good. Wear numbers are about the same on a per mile basis. Id do another run and see what the tin and cooper do. With a 7.5K OCI, could save some money and use the Syn-blend kendall.
Whats your driving pattern?
Originally Posted By: k24a4
Excellent report. Thanks for sharing. I'd cap it at 7500mi like previously mentioned and call it a day.
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
That is an outstanding report, as others said 7500mi without question. Great engine and fine oil.

yeahthat.gif
Ummm... x4

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
$3.62 is a great price for the syn...the best I can do for the 'lesser' Kendall semi syn is $3.70 at distributor's dock price.

Buy it on sale.
thumb.gif

hcbarger

where did you find the Kendall FS? I have been looking all over for it but cant find it. Pepboys by me dropped it and Autozone only carries the blend.

I work for a warehouse that carries it. PM if you are interested in purchasing and I'll get you some pricing.

Your UOA results are very average. That is not at all bad from the perspective of wear. But from the perspective of your wallet, why pay such a premium price for such average results?

Note that swithcing from 5w to 0w did nothing exceptional. Perfect example of why moderate climates simply do no benefit from the "advantage" of synthetics or even super-capable-uber-cold synthetics (0w rated lubes).

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Your UOA results are very average. That is not at all bad from the perspective of wear. But from the perspective of your wallet, why pay such a premium price for such average results?

Note that swithcing from 5w to 0w did nothing exceptional. Perfect example of why moderate climates simply do no benefit from the "advantage" of synthetics or even super-capable-uber-cold synthetics (0w rated lubes).

Dave,

Do you really think 3.62/qt is a premium cost for full synthetic? Thats cheaper than most quarts of conventional oil at Walmart. Come on...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Good grief man,give it a rest. Kendall oil is hardly a expensive oil.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Do you really think 3.62/qt is a premium cost for full synthetic?

He he, when WM has conventional on sale by the quart, it's two for $8. I can find Mobil Super 1000 at around the $3.62 a quart range, but that's far from the norm here.

Originally Posted By: hcbarger

Very easy drive should be easy on oil, but the TBN is only 1.2 after 7400 miles tells a different story.

Either the oil is not up to task or this particular engine is tough on oil, I would limit OCI to no more than 7k miles if OP likes to use the same oil and similar driving condition.

This report makes me reconsider running Kendall 0w20 in my 2.5L (same as the 2.3L but bored to 2.5L) for 7500 miles. I may back down to 6500 miles. The Kendall has always produced great wear numbers but I don't think it's a long drain oil. I get it cheap from an oil distributor in Pennsylvania and the shipping costs is still under $4/qt. I have an extra Blackstone kit so I may run it 6500 miles and get a TBN done.

hcbarger, out of curiosity what is the sump size on your Mazda?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back