2008 CRV 2.4L PCV valve thread sealer?

I'm going to replace the PCV valve in my daughters CRV. No clue if it was done at any point. I have no oil burning issues in it just doing an extra PM since it does have 229k on it, it's not expensive, and not hard to get at.

The PCV is threaded into the motor by intake area. Do I need to use any teflon tape or other sealer when I replace it? I don't recall seeing any when I watched the couple videos.

Usually it's recommended. My Subaru has the same type of PCV setup and the service manual specifies medium strength threadlocker (Three Bond 1324 or equivalent). Some people will use teflon tape or grey RTV sealant, but I would use threadlocker.

I'm going to replace the PCV valve in my daughters CRV. No clue if it was done at any point. I have no oil burning issues in it just doing an extra PM since it does have 229k on it, it's not expensive, and not hard to get at.

The PCV is threaded into the motor by intake area. Do I need to use any teflon tape or other sealer when I replace it? I don't recall seeing any when I watched the couple videos.
Nope just install the new one...been there done that....

If you decide to use tape, or paste, just don't overdo it.
My neighbor loves to use teflon tape on plastic. Puts about 10 layers on, then wonders why the plastic cracked when he tightened the fitting.

Like others said, whatever you use/do, I wouldn’t over do it. It’s plastic and you could crack it, more so when you remove it next time (if you ever do).

My daughter has the same year CRV, thing has been absolutely flawless. Close to 200,000 miles now and (knock on wood) no out of pocket repairs. I do need to adjust the valves again, they sound HORRIBLE, but other than that? Nothing.

Like others said, whatever you use/do, I wouldn’t over do it. It’s plastic and you could crack it, more so when you remove it next time (if you ever do).

My daughter has the same year CRV, thing has been absolutely flawless. Close to 200,000 miles now and (knock on wood) no out of pocket repairs. I do need to adjust the valves again, they sound HORRIBLE, but other than that? Nothing.
The factory Honda one is metal. The picture shows it with the washer but parts detail it's separate. '08 CRV PCV.

Thank you to everyone that replied. I bought a couple things from HondaPartsNow including the PCV. Just needed the time, vehicle, cold motor to match up. I ended up at Honda Dealer as they are closest to me that does Road Force balancing ($49.95 for all 4). Car had a steering wheel vibration at 60+ mph but not consistent and daughter was heading on a couple road trips to friends in CT and NJ. They had been balanced 2x recently, normal high speed. All were good on the normal balance when he checked first but road force showed them being off. The front left had a higher road force than the others so he swapped that around to the right rear for now. She checked in to day and said it was nice and smooth all the way to 80mph.

While it was at the dealer the "courtesy" inspection showed sway bar links rusting and a lot of play. I had seen them when I put the snows on and it was a future project for spring. I said F it, and told dealer to do the sway bar links if they could do it then, while you have it, do the PCV (let me have old one back). Just over $400 later, new sway bar links, new PCV, 4 tires road forced. They gave me a loaner for the day anyway so I wasn't down a vehicle. Sometimes you just have to pay to get stuff done on a timely basis.

Old PCV still shakes, doesn't look bad. I might have to cut it open just to see how it looks inside it.

Next week back to independent shop. Getting more frequent P0420 low catalyst efficiency CEL. The cat and both sensors were replaced less than 2 years and 12k miles ago after someone stole her factory cat. I think the aftermarket cat is still under warranty. I'll let shop dig deeper (just no loaner from them so need to juggle cars a bit)

The factory Honda one is metal. The picture shows it with the washer but parts detail it's separate. '08 CRV PCV.

Thank you to everyone that replied. I bought a couple things from HondaPartsNow including the PCV. Just needed the time, vehicle, cold motor to match up. I ended up at Honda Dealer as they are closest to me that does Road Force balancing ($49.95 for all 4). Car had a steering wheel vibration at 60+ mph but not consistent and daughter was heading on a couple road trips to friends in CT and NJ. They had been balanced 2x recently, normal high speed. All were good on the normal balance when he checked first but road force showed them being off. The front left had a higher road force than the others so he swapped that around to the right rear for now. She checked in to day and said it was nice and smooth all the way to 80mph.

While it was at the dealer the "courtesy" inspection showed sway bar links rusting and a lot of play. I had seen them when I put the snows on and it was a future project for spring. I said F it, and told dealer to do the sway bar links if they could do it then, while you have it, do the PCV (let me have old one back). Just over $400 later, new sway bar links, new PCV, 4 tires road forced. They gave me a loaner for the day anyway so I wasn't down a vehicle. Sometimes you just have to pay to get stuff done on a timely basis.

Old PCV still shakes, doesn't look bad. I might have to cut it open just to see how it looks inside it.

Next week back to independent shop. Getting more frequent P0420 low catalyst efficiency CEL. The cat and both sensors were replaced less than 2 years and 12k miles ago after someone stole her factory cat. I think the aftermarket cat is still under warranty. I'll let shop dig deeper (just no loaner from them so need to juggle cars a bit)
Thanks, I figured it was plastic, thanks for letting me know.

As for the repairs at the dealer totaling $400. That’s not a totally terrible price. To get those tires balanced properly, and not have someone do it wrong (and have to bring it back) is well worth the $49.95, that’s a good deal. To have the PCV and sway bar links replaced for the remaining $350 isn’t all that bad. Sway bar links can be a pain in the rear end to replace in your driveway - those things aren’t just going to screw right off - you’d either have to cut them off or heat them up, and that’s a royal weekend killer when you’re sitting thinking…I’ll have a beer and be done with this in an hour. Unless of course you have torches, a compressor and a cutoff tool (or Mr. Sparky), as I like to call it. 🤣🤣

I think you made out very well for yourself/daughter.

2008 CR-V needs no sealant on the threads. You do need a new crush washer for the installation, and the PCV valve needs to be torqued sufficiently to crush the washer and make the seal. Washer part number 94109-14000.
Just do what this person says if you need to do it again. There is a down loadable service manual for torque on it.

Back