2008 Accord V6. What is the consensus on ATF?

Unfortunately, even if you use DW1 and change it every OCI, that might still not be enough to prevent transmission problems :sneaky:

The V6 Hondas are known for bad transmissions.

Maxlife should be as good as anything else for that car. Some people are afraid of ATF/CVT combo fluids (which Maxlife is now), but it's probably safer to use on a regular automatic than on a CVT.

Otherwise, any synthetic ATF that's not an ATF/CVT combo is good.

Valvoline has an Import Multi Vehicle ATF. It's thicker like Z1 rather than DW1, but that's ok because DW1 didn't exist at the time. If you still desire DW1, there is the Extended Protection ATF.

Castrol used to make a great full synthetic ATF, but it was replaced by the ATF/CVT combo.

Havoline Synthetic ATF

The best price on full synthetic ATF that actually says DW1 on it seems to be Triax

If you're willing to spend the money, Redline D6 is also good and probably the best you can get.

Lubegard's complete ATF might be worth considering. Lubegard is more known for their additives, but they also make complete fluids.

Here is where I read that 2008 was the year Honda turned its back to their older, deficient transmission designs.
The universally maligned Z-1 became DW-1.
DW-1 was the only juice I'd use on the neighbor's Accord.

DW1 came out in 2011

Yes 7th gen 3.0L cartridge type filter is under battery and holder, but replaceable with some effort. Otoh, 2.4L looks to be an inline filter, easily replaced. Topic 8th gen V6 looks different than 07, as noted perhaps not serviceable.
The 3 shaft units are replaceable, should be the same as my 03 BAYA trans, but when they updated to the 4-shaft they stuck the stupid thing behind the converter. Massively better trans, massively crappier filter location.

Unfortunately, even if you use DW1 and change it every OCI, that might still not be enough to prevent transmission problems :sneaky:

Maxlife should be as good as anything else for that car. Some people are afraid of ATF/CVT combo fluids (which Maxlife is now), but it's probably safer to use on a regular automatic than on a CVT.

Otherwise, any synthetic ATF that's not an ATF/CVT combo is good.

Valvoline has an Import Multi Vehicle ATF. It's thicker like Z1 rather than DW1, but that's ok because DW1 didn't exist at the time. If you still desire DW1, there is the Extended Protection ATF.

Castrol used to make a great full synthetic ATF, but it was replaced by the ATF/CVT combo.

Havoline Synthetic ATF

The best price on full synthetic ATF that actually says DW1 on it seems to be Triax

If you're willing to spend the money, Redline D6 is also good and probably the best you can get.

Lubegard's complete ATF might be worth considering. Lubegard is more known for their additives, but they also make complete fluids.

DW1 came out in 2011
I wouldn’t trust Triax in a Honda that I was doing a D&F on to drive to the crusher…

@MolaKule had several posts about the Z-1/DW-1/ML escapades a few years back where he said the chemistries are significantly different between the Honda & Non-da formulations because most of those older Hondas are not a “typical” auto. It seems many, including myself, got away with ML in Honda trans, but YMMV.

I’ve heard good things about Amsoil in Honda, but none of the Hondas I owned were nice enough to drop Amsoil coin in…

I wouldn’t trust Triax in a Honda that I was doing a D&F on to drive to the crusher…

@MolaKule had several posts about the Z-1/DW-1/ML escapades a few years back where he said the chemistries are significantly different between the Honda & Non-da formulations because most of those older Hondas are not a “typical” auto. It seems many, including myself, got away with ML in Honda trans, but YMMV.

I’ve heard good things about Amsoil in Honda, but none of the Hondas I owned were nice enough to drop Amsoil coin in…

Yes, the older Honda automatics don't use planetary gears, but are more like an automated manual transmission. Z1 and DW1 have more zinc than typical for an ATF. In fact, the amount founf in Z1/DW1 is toxic to non-Honda transmissions (and also their new in-house 10-speed which does use planetary gears).

I liked the old Castrol Full Synthetic ATF and wish they still made it.

I didn't know Triax was that bad :cautious:

Subie…

“ I wouldn’t trust Triax in a Honda that I was found a D&F on to drive to the crusher.” …

Now that was genuinely funny… :LOL:

It's true that DW1 and Z1 before it have a different add pack (chemistry) than all the aftermarket ATFs, it can be seen exactly in VOAs pinned at top of this sub forum. The biggest observable difference is DW1 'and' Z1, is their high zinc content. As an aside, DW1 and Z1 VOAs, look very similar.

That said, if one goes on to read the many following comments in that long thread and other threads on topic one can't miss all the bitog members using other than DW1 in their Hondas, reporting success with those aftermarket ATFs. That aligns well with 'majority' experience comments on aftermarket ATF use here including but not limited to MaxLife ATF.

Last edited:
Got car running finally after lots of electrical problems, and immob issue. Transmission shifts and feels OK after 194k miles. Lots of metal on the magnet though. I settled on Valvoline Extended Performance ATF. We will see how it goes. Not sure how long this car will be available to check on later, as owner lives a fair distance away, and future D/F may not happen on time, if at all. Almost went with Honda fluid for CYA reasons. Maybe I should have...

Last edited:

He'll have a 4 shaft unit. Those are largely far more reliable than the earlier 3 shaft units.

Although the torque converters can eat themselves, it is far more rare than the entire 3 shaft unit chewing through their main bearings.

Back