2007 Yaris Hatchback. No more 14mpg daily driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
I do believe Maxlife was the preferred WS replacement, or it was a couple years ago. I have that in my '99 and it seems fine, although I checked the other day and it seemed no longer as pink as it used to be after 30kmiles. But that is the change interval so that might be normal (plus I think it was still original 140k ATF when I changed so it might be cleaning out crud).

Maxlife is preferred by me also, but my local walmart does not stock it. It is special order only. They stock non synthetic castrol multi-atf that does not meet WS spec, and they stock full syn Supertech, so I went with that.

I LIKE Yaris and congrats man.

Would love to have one day for lots of travel...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: otis24
How about running the 10w/40 and thinning it down with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil?
Good idea, but he will have to keep refilling that quart as MMO will burn off within 100-300 miles. It is not really meant to last a full OCI without checking the oil level. MMO will keep burning off. When I add it - I do so 100-200 miles before the oil change.

I've used 25W70 down to 18F with no issues...10W is fine...SAE says so too.

As to 10W40, and your commute, just use it. The majority of your drive will be comparing 3.6HTHS versus 2.6HTHS, not the warmup fuel economy benefits.

You'll lose more by buying oil to dope it or getting rid of it to change it.

Here's an Aussie with a Yaris, on a very pedestrian 15W40 on a UOA.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4450017/Re:_Penrite_Diesel_FX_-_Toyota

Originally Posted By: KL31
With 200 quarts (surely you typo'd and meant 20?) I'd use that 10W40.

That was my question as well.

50 gallons of oil on hand??????

I had two vehicles I could run the 10w40 in and bought out the AutoZone clearances around here. Then promptly replaced one of them lol

The xterra chewed through oil every 4k miles.

I'm somewhat ashamed of how much I have for my yxz. Enough to change the oil every 2000 miles for the mext 140k.

I find it Interesting on Castrol website, (if I say I am from south Africa)
my same car/motor oil recommendation goes from
5w30 USA
to 20w50, anywhere else.

Castrol also claims Yaris (any engine/year currently listed) 15w40 is ok.
I'm sure your motor doesn't mind at all!

Coolant for this vehicle 'can be red' but SLLC 'pink' should have been the factory fill; People buy red because it comes in concentrate, but with a 5qt coolant capacity, i would, and have, used pink Red and pink can be mixed according to Toyota

Last edited:
Mine tends to burn oil when the rev's are high. Long highway drives at 75-80 mph will require extra oil frequently.

However mine is older and a 5-speed ... maybe yours is geared differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back