2007 ALTIMA 3.5SE 6 SPEED MANUAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering buying this car used, very quick, does anyone have one or experience with one? Any problem areas? Anything I should know? Thanks!

They run fine on regular fuel, but you will see a drop in MPG and top end performance. I have an 06 SER. My throwout bearing is going, but not dead. Started at 30K miles and now at 46K. Dealer has told me that since it was ID'd under warranty they will cover it if it goes out up to 100K. The engine also prefers 40wt oils, Rotella T Syn 5w40 seems to be a good option given UOA performance and price. Only issue I have with the car is the rattles for the price, but thats what you get with a longer wheel pase. Mine with traction control sucks in snow with snow tires due to the torque being so plentiful at low RPM. Id consider buying another one though, good value if performance is a factor.

I had an '03 Altima 3.5SE 5-Speed Manual. The VQ35 provides good power and is a very strong engine used across the Nissan and Infiniti line. Overall, he car is fine even though Nissan build quality is falling. The quality is no where near the Nissan vehicles that were once assembled in Japan.

Take a test drive and see if you like the manual feel. I've never been a big fan of Nissan manual transmissions. The throws on my Altima were very long and the mechanism as a whole was inprecise. Perhaps the 6 speed is a bit better.

It is also difficult to launch these FWD torque monsters of the line as you get very strong torque steer and wheel hop.

Overall, it's an okay car if you are looking for something with 4 doors, large size, good power and the ability to row your own gears. There are not very many choices left with a manual in this class and rice range.

If the deal is good,g for it. Is the car fully loaded-Bose, leather, etc. What color?

Last edited:
I had an '02 version of what you're looking at. 3rd gear synchro was always stubborn from day 1, and finally went out at around 19K.

The car went through 2 sets of front struts by 15,000 miles until they found a TSB about front suspension mount bolts. This I'm sure they've addressed by now. But in case they haven't, listen closely for a THUNK in the front suspension when driving over small road irregularities at parking lot speeds. Speed bumps won't do it.

The initial problem with the car, again since new, was a glitch in the ECM that would cut power and keep it cut while driving. One minute it would be fine, the next minute it would decide it wanted to put out about 100hp instead of 245. Flooring the throttle just yeilded a lot of intake noise but no real acceleration. Shutting off and re-starting cleared it up...sometimes for the rest of the day, sometimes for 15 minutes. Another out-of-the-blue TSB got me a free ECU reflash for that issue.

Due to all the time I'd spend rotting at the dealership, I became so disappointed with this car that I traded it in on a 2004 Mazda 3 while it was on the lift and the transmission was laying on the workbench. It didn't help that the dealer took 2 attempts to repair the 3rd gear synchro, totalling 22 days in the shop. Thankfully, I had opted for the upgraded warranty, which paid for the rental car for the duration.

It's probably going to be a while longer before the Nissan bad taste gets out of my mouth. But I sure like the looks of the most recent Altima. Very nice looking car. Hope you have better luck than I.

Good engine, good transmission, good interior layout. Lots of torque and decent handling for what it is. Lots of torque steer though, and a somewhat uncommunicative and uninvolving drive.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
I had an '02 version of what you're looking at. 3rd gear synchro was always stubborn from day 1, and finally went out at around 19K.

The car went through 2 sets of front struts by 15,000 miles until they found a TSB about front suspension mount bolts. This I'm sure they've addressed by now. But in case they haven't, listen closely for a THUNK in the front suspension when driving over small road irregularities at parking lot speeds. Speed bumps won't do it.

The initial problem with the car, again since new, was a glitch in the ECM that would cut power and keep it cut while driving. One minute it would be fine, the next minute it would decide it wanted to put out about 100hp instead of 245. Flooring the throttle just yeilded a lot of intake noise but no real acceleration. Shutting off and re-starting cleared it up...sometimes for the rest of the day, sometimes for 15 minutes. Another out-of-the-blue TSB got me a free ECU reflash for that issue.

Due to all the time I'd spend rotting at the dealership, I became so disappointed with this car that I traded it in on a 2004 Mazda 3 while it was on the lift and the transmission was laying on the workbench. It didn't help that the dealer took 2 attempts to repair the 3rd gear synchro, totalling 22 days in the shop. Thankfully, I had opted for the upgraded warranty, which paid for the rental car for the duration.

It's probably going to be a while longer before the Nissan bad taste gets out of my mouth. But I sure like the looks of the most recent Altima. Very nice looking car. Hope you have better luck than I.

Mine also had several struts replaced under warranty as they would go out often. I found a buyer that really wanted a loaded 5 speed manual mated to the V6 engine and didn't end up losing anything on the car. The quality of the overall vehicle is one of the main reasons I got rid of it.

Thanks guys! It's jet black, no major options just a sunroof, has 38k on the clock and they want $16k. Could probably get it for $15k, not sure if I want to though, maybe better off with a Mazda 3 2.3L manual, Scion TC manual or even a 2.5L Altima with manual trans as gas prices will probably go back up eventually. I know the 3.5 SE is much quicker than the others but the tradeoff in mileage and reliability might make more sense. I don't know. Thanks again, at least I now know it may not have stellar reliability, something also important to consider.

I wouldn't sweat the speed difference between a Mazda 3 or Scion tC and an Altima 3.5. It's a big difference, but those 4cyls are fine for the street IMO.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
They run fine on regular fuel, but you will see a drop in MPG and top end performance. I have an 06 SER. My throwout bearing is going, but not dead. Started at 30K miles and now at 46K. Dealer has told me that since it was ID'd under warranty they will cover it if it goes out up to 100K. The engine also prefers 40wt oils, Rotella T Syn 5w40 seems to be a good option given UOA performance and price. Only issue I have with the car is the rattles for the price, but thats what you get with a longer wheel pase. Mine with traction control sucks in snow with snow tires due to the torque being so plentiful at low RPM. Id consider buying another one though, good value if performance is a factor.
Is the throwout bearing a common problem? Mine went out at 25k on my 05 3.5SE 5 speed.

That 3.5 V6 is probably one of the strongest points in that car. If you're opting out of the V6 option in this vehicle, I'd stay away from an Altima.

Try a late model 4 cylinder Camry or Accord with 5 speed manual.

I was considering that car for myself. ALL of the "road test" articles available online pointed out the horrid 6 speed manual. Even hard core stick shift drivers said they would go with the CVT because the six speed manual was so poorly designed.

A friend of mine has an '08 Altima Coupe with the 3.5/6-speed combo. Seems like a nice car, but I've never driven it so I can't comment on performance or anything like that. If I were going to go with a car like that I'd probably go with the G35 myself.

I'm sure if I did drive it I wouldn't have anything bad to say about the manual either, coming from my Jeep I'm sure it feels like butter.

The M/T in my Altima was probably the worst I'd ever owned. LONG lever and long travel, a very un-hand-friendly shift knob and a rubbery feeling cable. They need to take notes from Honda on manual shifters. The 1988 Integra was the finest 5-speed I've ever used, and I'm sure Honda has only gotten better.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
The M/T in my Altima was probably the worst I'd ever owned. LONG lever and long travel, a very un-hand-friendly shift knob and a rubbery feeling cable. They need to take notes from Honda on manual shifters. The 1988 Integra was the finest 5-speed I've ever used, and I'm sure Honda has only gotten better.

+1...Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back