2006 Accord 2.4, M1 0w-20, 11k mi on oil, 258k mi total

Pretty boring UOA, as expected for a pre-DI K24. I’m not really worried about the fuel dilution as I had to take a couple short trips around the block before I changed it, and didn’t get it up to temp. Oil was in service for about 10 months. Oil filter was an OG Fram Ultra. I’ll change the oil in about 1k miles as I just installed a new Honda air filter.

IMG_2143.jpeg

Seems kind of odd to me to go through the trouble of getting a UOA and not caring about the preparation right before. What if you do have some sort of fueling issue, now you won't know due to short tripping immediately before sampling.

Seems kind of odd to me to go through the trouble of getting a UOA and not caring about the preparation right before. What if you do have some sort of fueling issue, now you won't know due to short tripping immediately before sampling.
I see your point. But, even if I had taken it on a nice long drive prior to pulling the sample, I’d probably look at this amount of fuel as something to keep an eye on with the next sample. It’s not high enough for me to start pulling injectors, or anything like that.

And, if the next sample comes back with the same amount of fuel, I’m not sure I’ll do anything then either. Especially if the rest of the UOA comes back looking as good as this one.

Those trips aren't going to add so much fuel to the sample that it would result a large uptick the total percentage.

No make-up oil? That is surprising for a K24 from that era.

I don't think very much fuel evaporates during warm-up.

Lube added: 1qt. Two columns to the left of the fuel %

I will say that I’m very lucky with this particular K24. I didn’t add that quart until about 8k miles into the OCI. Mine has never used much oil.
That's pretty low consumption for that engine. My 2005 drank a qt every 4k-5k since new.

Pretty boring UOA, as expected for a pre-DI K24. I’m not really worried about the fuel dilution as I had to take a couple short trips around the block before I changed it, and didn’t get it up to temp. Oil was in service for about 10 months. Oil filter was an OG Fram Ultra. I’ll change the oil in about 1k miles as I just installed a new Honda air filter.

View attachment 178583
Nice UOA. UOA's don't measure sludge/varnish from infrequent oil changes. You could have an engine full of sludge and the most dark golden thick varnish and the UOA would come back with low wear metals. So UOA's only tell half of the story.

Personally, for my own vehicles, I prefer short OCI's, engine flushes, and 1 quart HPL EC 30 with oil changes periodically just to keep the inside of the engine clean.

Last edited:
Lube added: 1qt. Two columns to the left of the fuel %

I will say that I’m very lucky with this particular K24. I didn’t add that quart until about 8k miles into the OCI. Mine has never used much oil.

So you slowly run it out of oil (gets lower and lower on the dipstick until the ADD Mark) and then finally after 8,000 miles you dumped an entire quart in to “top it off” and bring the oil level back up to FULL?!?! 🤨

Am I the only one who would add 1/10th of a quart, as needed, checking bi-weekly or month to always keep the oil level FULL AT ALL TIMES? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

So you slowly run it out of oil (gets lower and lower on the dipstick until the ADD Mark) and then finally after 8,000 miles you dumped an entire quart in to “top it off” and bring the oil level back up to FULL?!?! 🤨

Am I the only one who would add 1/10th of a quart, as needed, checking bi-weekly or month to always keep the oil level FULL AT ALL TIMES? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
The point of the low mark on the dipstick is to let you know when the oil level is low enough that you should add more. The entire range between high and low is considered a safe level. I see your point, but I'd probably not be adding 1/10 qt at a time. At least 0.5 qt here.

That said, I've had a few oil consumers and I've started calculating oil consumption by measuring the drop from full to current oil level in mm, then factoring miles in as well as distance in mm from the high to the low mark to calculate "miles from high to low mark". Since each car has a slightly different amount of oil that will fill from low to high, I use this metric instead of x qts per 1000 miles. My 03 Civic has become a prolific oil consumer in its old age and takes about 2200 miles to go from the high mark to the low mark. Our '13 Volvo S80 takes about 6500 miles to go from the high mark to the low mark. We used to have an Infiniti M45 that took about 3000 miles to go from the high to the low mark.

I've also estimated the amount of oil it takes to take the oil level from low to high. In the Civic it's about 0.8 qts. In the Infiniti it was nearly 2 qts. The Volvo is about 1.5 qts.

Back