2005 hona CRV clunking noise

Hi all!

I have a 2005 CRV with clunking noise from the passenger side brake. It intermittently happens when I'm at a red light and I release the pedal to move forward. It doesn't make a clunk noise while I am driving and apply the brakes to slow down.

I did replace the passenger side outer tie rod, and I know I need new stabilizer links as it's starting to make clunking noise as well when turning.

I did a lube job on the brake pads 3 months ago.

Could a worn out stabilizer link/dry bushings cause that side to move and clunk when releasing the brakes? Would it cause play since it's worn out?

Edit: also the balljoint has no play as I shook the wheel after replacing the tie rod.

upper strut mount can cause clunking, its higher then brake stuff but close enough to be confusing. at the age/milage you are at its probably due. try going over speed bumps or curbs with someone else driving while you listen from the back seat.

Hi all!

I have a 2005 CRV with clunking noise from the passenger side brake. It intermittently happens when I'm at a red light and I release the pedal to move forward. It doesn't make a clunk noise while I am driving and apply the brakes to slow down.

I did replace the passenger side outer tie rod, and I know I need new stabilizer links as it's starting to make clunking noise as well when turning.

I did a lube job on the brake pads 3 months ago.

Could a worn out stabilizer link/dry bushings cause that side to move and clunk when releasing the brakes? Would it cause play since it's worn out?

Edit: also the balljoint has no play as I shook the wheel after replacing the tie rod.
In order to properly inspect a ball joint it has to have no spring tension on it. The methods For properly removing the spring tension very depending on the type of suspension system that the vehicle has. There are youtube videos about how to do this for the different types of suspension systems. Unless you have properly remove the Spring tension.Shaking the wheel when it's off.The ground is not a sufficient test of a ball joint.

upper strut mount can cause clunking, its higher then brake stuff but close enough to be confusing. at the age/milage you are at its probably due. try going over speed bumps or curbs with someone else driving while you listen from the back seat.

In order to properly inspect a ball joint it has to have no spring tension on it. The methods For properly removing the spring tension very depending on the type of suspension system that the vehicle has. There are youtube videos about how to do this for the different types of suspension systems. Unless you have properly remove the Spring tension.Shaking the wheel when it's off.The ground is not a sufficient test of a ball joint.

Thanks guys! I brought it to a mechanic to diagnose the balljoint and upper struth mount. The shaking test like Jim said might not be sufficient. He drove the car inside his shop and told me he heard the clunking while driving it in.

Once on the lift he immediately checked the balljoint which was the culprit. There was play and showed me. While using a small bar I could see and hear a slight clunk. Strut mount seem to be good, he didn't hear and noises. He also said the stabilizer links have no play.

The play is very minimal, but recommended get it done asap. So Ill have to order a new balljoint from RA and coming back in 7 days. Cross my fingers the wheel doesn't come off. Most likely will park it and use the wife's Rav in the mean time.

Now to pick which balljoint from RA to get lol.

Back