2004 Lexus, 167k miles. Would 4 previous owners scare you off?

Are you buying the car or marrying it? It's not like a potential spouse that you find out was married four times in the last 20 years. I'd be way more concerned that it spent 20 years in the middle of the rust belt.
There seems to be a stigma attached to cars that have had multiple owners. I take it the number of previous owners plays no role in your buying decisions?

I live in the rust belt. It’s going to be hard to find a car locally that is from elsewhere.

The way I read the Carfax it looks like from the time it was manufactured to the report of the second owner is less than a month? I'm not sure if the first owner really was accurate seems weird. Still that would be three owners. Personally that would not deter me in and of itself. Of course a thorough test drive and an inspection might not be a bad idea.

There seems to be a stigma attached to cars that have had multiple owners. I take it the number of previous owners plays no role in your buying decisions?

I live in the rust belt. It’s going to be hard to find a car locally that is from elsewhere.
When I buy a car at auction, I have no idea how many owners it has had until after it's bought and I run a Carfax. Not spending the money on a Carfax beforehand when I don't know if I'm actually getting the car, and in most cases I only see the car coming a minute or two before it's sold.

On a cheaper car I don't really care, condition is more important than the number of owners. If it turns out to be a one owner, that's an unexpected bonus. It's doesn't really add value, it just may make it easier to sell when you can post in your ads, ONE OWNER to those people that get a kick out of that.

If you're in the rust belt, the simple answer is to shop for southern state cars. Yes it takes more work and logistics, but if you're buying for 3 or 4 years or more, it's time well spent.

The way I read the Carfax it looks like from the time it was manufactured to the report of the second owner is less than a month? I'm not sure if the first owner really was accurate seems weird. Still that would be three owners. Personally that would not deter me in and of itself. Of course a thorough test drive and an inspection might not be a bad idea.
I don't think you are reading the Carfax correctly, PM. The first title was issued in 2003 and the second title was issued in 2007 after 43,000 miles were accumulated on it by Owner #1.

If the Lexus is truly accident free and not rusty, it may be an OK buy at $4700. I'd not fear the 4 owner stigma since each owner kept it for several years and drove it for at least 25,000 miles. This suggests that the vehicle did not have any significant or insurmountable problems that would cause a buyer to quickly turn around and dump it.

I don't think you are reading the Carfax correctly, PM. The first title was issued in 2003 and the second title was issued in 2007 after 43,000 miles were accumulated on it by Owner #1.

If the Lexus is truly accident free and not rusty, it may be an OK buy at $4700. I'd not fear the 4 owner stigma since each owner kept it for several years and drove it for at least 25,000 miles. This suggests that the vehicle did not have any significant or insurmountable problems that would cause a buyer to quickly turn around and dump it.
That's what I get for skimming 😂

I wouldn't, I mean, I wouldn't date a gal who had been married four times--buying a car is way higher on the commitment level than a mere marriage.

:ROFLMAO:

It's a 20 year old car, four owners wouldn't bother me. Yeah one owner would be better, but it's not a 3 year old car with 4 owners.

Under $5K doesn't buy much anymore. The carfax looks fine for a vehicle that old. Check it out well, especially for rust, and if that isn't too bad then I wouldn't worry about 4 owners.

Wouldn't really bother me.

In 2018 my grandfather bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee that he never drove, he was disabled and we drove him in it. I bought it from him then sold it to my aunt, so 3 owners just for us. I'm the only one to maintain it and it's lived the same life this whole time. Maybe my dad will end up with it next, who knows lol.

You can't be this picky buying a 20 year old car. If it's in good condition and passes inspection, go for it.

When a car gets to a certain age and cost it really doesn't matter. As long as it drives good, has no obvious problems and you are happy with the price go for it.

How many owners is too many for you? This 2004 Lexus ES 330 has had four owners in 167k miles. Would the number of owners scare you away or would you at least give it a look if you were in the neighborhood?

I've ended up with one owner cars that ended up being a complete lemon and many 2-3 owner cars that worked out okay for a while.

It's luck of the draw really. Pay a shop to look it over before you buy it so you don't get nasty surprises.

At the very least check the condition of the fluids and plug in an OBD-II scanner to see if it's got any pending codes or if it had some and they tried to clear them real fast to turn off the light. Most people selling a bad car don't do fluid changes and don't figure anyone will show up with an OBD scanner so turning off the light for a while might get the thing sold.

I've ended up with one owner cars that ended up being a complete lemon and many 2-3 owner cars that worked out okay for a while.

It's luck of the draw really. Pay a shop to look it over before you buy it so you don't get nasty surprises.

At the very least check the condition of the fluids and plug in an OBD-II scanner to see if it's got any pending codes or if it had some and they tried to clear them real fast to turn off the light. Most people selling a bad car don't do fluid changes and don't figure anyone will show up with an OBD scanner so turning off the light for a while might get the thing sold.

It is being sold as-is by a Honda dealership in Cincinnati, Ohio. Buyer beware that they may tack on a superfluous $499 charge for some nonsense "Pulse Protection Rear-End Collision Deterrent System" feature (see excerpt from Kings Honda website below). What is that? A $39 strobe module or $20 flashing strobe bulbs for the brake lights? Who knows?
1703216135555.png

Back