2003 Toyota Sienna CE Codes (P0441 P0442 P0446)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive had the CEL codes P0442 and P0446 for a year or more. Sometime recently a P0441 popped up also. I just keep a bluetooth OBD2 reader plugged in and use the torque app every few days to see when new codes pop up, to help predict impending doom. A former shop I used said to ignore the CEL, its the EGR system and probably not worth tracking down and fixing. Ive replaced the gas cap with OEM twice now, no changes in codes. I havent run techron or similar in a while, maybe ill try that soon. I have no driveability issues. Not even sure it affects mpg. Any ideas how difficult this would be to track down and fix? The car is not worth much so not going to spend a lot at shop getting it fixed. THANKS

Could be your evap canister or an integrated valve on the canister has rusted and broken down. The evap canister on my Rav4 has the valves integrated. About $300. Also, check under the hood to ensure the electrical connections for the evap are connected and that all the hoses are in good shape for the evap.

Check your CCV ( canister close valve) it allows clean air from the air filter housing into the canister when the system is purging.

Check all of the hoses/lines from the EVAP Canister to the gas tank & filler neck. The may be several that are cracked and in need of replacement. Had to do this on an '01 RX300.

TSB EG013-03 asks you to replace the Vacuum Switching Valve assembly. However, these engines have miles of vacuum hoses under the hood. There is a funky shaped evap line that tends to be problematic, and I have seen those cause a P0441 as well. Check all of the vacuum lines (especially the end) very carefully before replacing any parts.

If you’ve made a habit of topping off when refueling—squeezing in another quart or half-gallon after the fuel pump initially kicks off—you’ve probably roached your van’s evap canister. A sort-of-expensive fix I’ve had to do on two of my cars before I figured out what I was doing wrong when refueling. Necessary, though, if you want the CEL to tell you about problems that matter more.

Last edited:
I havent had time to look over the van too much, but i found a hose on top of the engine, goes from the intake hose to the engine under the engine cover. One end is cracked and the clamp is long gone. Probably from a trip to the shop. I put a couple zip ties around it since i couldnt get a new hose or clamp tonight. I looked around on the web, looks like its the

2000-2003 Toyota Sienna Breather Hose Genuine W0133-1787262 00-03 Toyota Breather Hose 2001

Could this cause my CELs?

You need a new charcoal canister assembly (comes with a handful of things on it) and likey the VSV on the air box.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
I havent had time to look over the van too much, but i found a hose on top of the engine, goes from the intake hose to the engine under the engine cover. One end is cracked and the clamp is long gone. Probably from a trip to the shop. I put a couple zip ties around it since i couldnt get a new hose or clamp tonight. I looked around on the web, looks like its the

2000-2003 Toyota Sienna Breather Hose Genuine W0133-1787262 00-03 Toyota Breather Hose 2001

Could this cause my CELs?

Yes, I have seen that hose cause a P0441. But I think you may have more than one leak here.

I had the battery disconnected once or twice while working on the car, and had the airbox apart. Apparently the air filter had a pinched gasket at the back side, was probably leaking a little. For now the p0441 is gone, now that i replaced the air filter. I havent replaced the crankcase breather hose W0133-1787262 yet. Seems oem is the only available, and at $40-50 online, i may check a dealer first to see if i have the correct part #. I need to study vacuum diagrams and see if any other parts could be bad before deciding if i can fix the cannister myself. Van drives fine, 135+k mi, 22.5mpg mostly hwy. Dont know what would improve by repairing. CEL annoying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back