Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Labs UOA of 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

Oil was in car from February 7, 2004 to May 2nd, 2004

Equipment Make: Mazda
Equipment Model: Turbocharged 2.0L Inline 4
Fuel Type: Gas (Unleaded)

Oil Use Interval: 3311 Miles
Oil Type & Grade: Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (German Castrol)
Makeup Oil Added: None

Sample Date 05/10/04
Mileage on Unit: 9786
Miles on Oil: 3311

Aluminum: 2 ppm
Chromium: 1 ppm
Iron: 7 ppm
Copper: 6 ppm
Lead: 1 ppm
Tin: 3 ppm
Molybdenum: 9 ppm
Nickel: 0 ppm
Manganese: 0 ppm
Silver: 0 ppm
Titanium: 0 ppm
Potassium: 0 ppm
Boron: 14 ppm
Silicon: 16 ppm
Sodium: 3 ppm
Calcium: 2767 ppm
Magnesium: 106 ppm
Phosphorus: 836 ppm
Zinc: 958 ppm
Barium: 0 ppm

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 62.9 (Should be 65-76)
Flashpoint in F: 410 (should be >375)
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolutables %: 0.3

The oil was changed at the time of sample with another round of German Castrol.

Blackstone recommended a run of 4500 miles for the next OCI any comments?

Wear looks good. It did shear a little.....but no big deal. Good report. I would go 5k and retest (nice round number).........and get a TBN reading next time around.
wink.gif
cheers.gif

Would you guys say this oil is a good match to the engine? Reason I ask is there is an Autozone next to my house that has a pretty good supply of German Castrol I think it may be time to stock up.

As I noted in my first post I am running another interval of GC in the car. I am interested in seeing how the GC does through the summer months. I plan on doing another UOA to find out.

Heck, at 3.3K miles, I'd be surprised if any oil (not just GC) showed bad numbers. Run this baby 5-7.5K miles and do a UOA, and then we can say whether it holds up or not. Unless you track it of course.
wink.gif

What's the factory-recommended OCI?

Quattro Pete, the factory-recommended OCI for severe driving conditions is 3,000 miles. For normal driving conditions it is 5,000 miles. I don't want to go past 5,000 miles because of warranty issues. Maybe I will do a run of 4,500 to 5,000 miles.

Oh I see. Yeah, stick with the factory recommended OCI, as long as you're under warranty. I thought they may have extended the OCIs by now, but I guess not.
wink.gif

lol.gif
A real waste. It is as good at 3000 as most oils are new.Don't feel bad I drained the tranny fluid on my new SE-R with only 5000 mi.
shocked.gif
Put in Amsoil synthetic.

I know I could have left the oil in longer, but I wanted to see what was going on with the engine and I couldn't wait anymore. It was hard enough to wait 3,000 miles.
wink.gif
I will extend my next OCI and do another analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back