2002 W/ Original Fluids but 42K only??

My uncle has a 2002 Silverado 1500 w/ only 42,000 original miles. The truck is mainly driven in the summer months and locally only about 2/3 of the miles. In 2018, we did drove it to Mexico and it has mainly sitting on his garage because of Covid and his health issues.

I been ask to look at the truck and perform any required the maintenance. What fluids would you consider changing at this point????

I am going to pull the spark plugs
Replace brake fluid
Replace Coolant/ Not sure

Coolant and brake fluid for sure. From your description, sounds like engine oil should be changed, too.

Agree with everyone here. Spend a few days replacing all fluids. However, there is a bit more to consider.

Likely many of your coolant lines are deteriorated and on extreme borrowed time. The 2 lines going into the heater core might disintegrate the moment you touch them for example. The coolant overflow lines to the water pump, the radiator upper/lower hoses.

Same thing with the spark plug wires, they will tear apart.

Since you live in Illinois how is the undercarriage? Your brake lines need a complete inspection.

If at any time you get discouraged, know that truck is worth spending the effort also considering how expensive they are today.

Got any pics to show, sounds like she would be in beautiful condition. And I'd replace all fluids. Hopefully that wonderful gen 3 iron block didn't suffer that 22 year old coolant. The spark plugs are likely fine with just 42k.

All fluids should be changed and anything made of rubber should be given a once over including the tires. Grease the fittings and call it a day.

I just bought a 2001 Silverado with 22,000 miles. The owner had a stroke in 2008. It was garage kept and driven occasionally. New battery, oil and antifreeze changed. I had to replace one brake caliper, flushed brake fluid ( it was black)and replaced the original tires. All hoses and belts seem good, but I am keeping a good eye on them. Wiper blades are still good.I have new radiator hoses, but haven't changed them yet.

I think 2002 might be the last year of transmission and differential drain plugs on this model. (Make sure the diff fill plug comes out before removing the drain plug.)

For the trans, have one of these drain plugs on hand. It is for the 6-speed, but fits the 4L60E and has a longer hex head. That will make sense when you see the stock one. GM 24234212

The plastic heater hose connectors are prone to breaking, and at this age they're on borrowed time. I would change them as preventative maintenance no matter what you do with hoses and coolant. Some heater hoses come with connectors and some don't. The connectors are available separately. Heater Hose Connector How-To

I went through this with a 1999 S-10 that I got with 52k miles in 2018. All the fluids need to be changed. The cooling system on that truck was a total disaster of rust and sludge (original dexcool I assume). Brake master cylinder had so much slime in it I just replaced it vs cleaning. Replaced lots of rubber hoses/vacuum lines along the way.. I actually just did plugs on mine (4.3 v6) and they still looked fine (has 73k on it now) and honestly would have gone to 100k just fine.

Back