2001 S-10 trans shudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2001 Chev 2001, S-10, 4.3 L auto with 99,000KM, works great although with the price of fuel as it is now I'm having second thoughts, but that's another story ;-) ($1.13 Can.per liter here in Nova Scotia)
When I took this S-10 and a couple of others for a test drive there was (and still is)a slight shudder when taking off. It almost seems as if a clutch is slipping ever so slightly in first until you get moving. If you nail it from start you don't feel it but that's not good on the pocketbook.
Apparently it's a common thing as a guy here at work has the same thing happening to him and as I said the ones I took out for a test drive did the same thing.
My question, has anyone else heard of this and if so is their a cure, hopefully a simple one as Ford had with their rear ends by adding a friction modifier.....Mike

http://lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html

When you buy a new vehicle, the 1st thing to do is all maintenance. It sure beats "guessing", and can help prevent future breakdowns from years/99kkm of neglect.

Change your ATF and filter first.

While you're at it, change the front/rearends/x-case/PSfluid/coolant/thermostat/plugs/air&fuelfilters/oil&filter/belts/and everything else.....

Re u-joints, you're the second person that mentioned that. To me it doen't sem to be a u-joint type of feeling if that makes sense. I will look a bit deeper though, thanks.....Mike

Well, I've changed the trans fluid, (can't understand why they don't put plugs in torque converters)with no success. Next step is additives I guess....Mike

some dexron III fluids claimto have improved shudder resistance, per some GM spec.

Try castrol dexron III, see if that helps... preferably, use a purge machine or purge it yourself.

Fluid quality is a big deal in ATs.

JMH

Well Nascarnation you were right, sorry for my doubt :).
I changed the fluid, made no difference, added a Wynns transmission additive that was supposed to stop shudder, no difference.
About 2-3 weeks ago one of the u-joints (there are 5) started to squeek so I figured it's time to change them all as well as the cv joint kits, before winter which I did, a real pia.
Took the truck out for a test drive, all seemed fine so I take it to work the next morning. On the way home after taking off from a light the truck started to miss like a sob but then worked fine, every time I stopped a light and took off the miss would reoccur. Ended up it wasn't a miss but the drive shaft was vibrating so bad at 10-20kph it felt like one.
Put the truck up on a pair of jack stands, running, in gear and the rear of the trans was moving up and down a good 3/8-1/2".
Long story short, the rear joint of the rear shaft somehow tightened up and wasn't allowing the u-joint to flex properly. As well I ended up balancing the shaft, when I had it checked the drive line shop said it was way out of wack. According to them the S-10 drive line is a piece of crap and is very prone to vibration problems. They usually end up making new shafts as the origonal can't be balanced (according to them).
At least now the shudder from take off is gone....Mike

U-joints and Transmission mounts are the first things I replace when the kids buy a used car.

Then of course, I add ARX for an engine clean.

Ended up making a new shaft, old one went to crap and started vibrating. Got rid of the double u-joint on each end and went with a single one on each end of the rear shaft, cost me $500 CAN but it was worth it, not a vibration up to 160kph.....Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back