2001 Honda Valkyrie

Good Afternoon Folks,

It's been a little while since I last posted on the motorcycle forum as I was dealing with an arthritic right hip, which kept me off my motorcycles for about 14 months - it brutal being off the bikes. I've recovered from the hip replacement surgery and back on all 3 of them. The surgery fixed the problem completely. :)

The carbs on my Valk gummed up completely during this down time; needed a rebuild on all 6 carbs, which the shop I use did a fantastic job; before the rebuild I was getting 25 mpg, after the rebuild, 37 mpg. 👍

I detailed the Valk using Klasse AIO & Klasse High Gloss Sealant; I changed the oil, put in Rotella T6, 15-40, shifting is smooth; used a K&N oil Filter & also had new tires installed. I've used Dunlop on the bike since day one, but I decided to give Shinko a try. When I was looking for new tires, Nov/Dec 2021; it was unbelievably hard to find the Dunlops, and when I did, the pricing on them was outrageous, so I bought the Shinko's. I've got about 250 miles on them and they are quiet, smooth, and they really grip the road. Total cost for the tires was about $275; the Dunlops were about $300 plus for the rear alone.

I've attached some photos on the bike, I'm the original owner, bought in 2001, has 39, 500 miles on her.

Thanks for taking a look.

RevRider

IMG_2024.jpg
IMG_2026.jpg
IMG_2027.jpg
IMG_2028.jpg
IMG_2029.jpg
IMG_2030.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 2000 Valk Interstate. LOVED that bike and rode to more than 25 States on it. It wasn't a great two-up bike; the luggage capacity was "so so" with those odd hardshell bags and smallish trunk. But for 1 person, it was awesome! And talk about torque!

Nice. When the shop cleaned your carbs, maybe they also rejetted them? Maybe they synchronized them too.

My last bike was a Honda Magna VF750. Stock, it had weak low end torque and an annoying power/torque flat spot in the midrange RPM. Honda's factory carb settings were made to please the EPA, not riders. Rejetting solved both problems and made it so much more fun to ride. And it did not affect fuel economy. The rejetting was 2 extra shims on each needle, and 2 sizes larger main jets. That bike did not have a common intake manifold - each cylinder had its own carb. So the carb throttle plate positions needed to be synchronized. That also made the engine run noticeably smoother.

I remember the Valk Interstate. :)

Mine is completely stock, and it's a great all around motorcycle; the engine just looks hot-roddish if you ask me.

It's a keeper for sure.

The shop put in a full rebuild kit, not certain of what that entails, but there is no flat spots at all, no lag when I twist the throttle, instant acceleration.

When tuned correctly (meaning factory stock with good carb balance) these long, heavy bikes can be encouraged to lift the front wheel ever so lightly under the right conditions. They have instant torque when running right; a broad and deep power curve.

Very pretty bike, color scheme reminds me of the Dodge Viper for some reason.
Only reason I will not get one is no cruise control.
It is just a must have for me for a distance riding bike.

Is this engine the same as the Goldwing?
The Valkyrie is based of the GL1500 Goldwing engine, but a few changes to give it a little more power.
Slightly modified cam, 6 carbs instead of 2, and non-hydraulic valves.
Valkyrie also has a slightly stronger transmission that was carried over into the Goldwing line (so if you are looking for a GL1500 Goldwing, look for a '97 and newer for that improvement).

Last edited:
When tuned correctly (meaning factory stock with good carb balance) these long, heavy bikes can be encouraged to lift the front wheel ever so lightly under the right conditions. They have instant torque when running right; a broad and deep power curve.
Absolutely correct. And if I recall correctly, the Valk had a top 5 braking performance according to one of the motorcycle magazines.

Very pretty bike, color scheme reminds me of the Dodge Viper for some reason.
Only reason I will not get one is no cruise control.
It is just a must have for me for a distance riding bike.

The Valkyrie is based of the GL1500 Goldwing engine, but a few changes to give it a little more power.
Slightly modified cam, 6 carbs instead of 2, and non-hydraulic valves.
Valkyrie also has a slightly stronger transmission that was carried over into the Goldwing line (so if you are looking for a GL1500 Goldwing, look for a '97 and newer for that improvement).
It really is a beautiful bike, I’ve babied it for 22 years.

I was thinking today, and have concluded that I am a motorcycleaholic, I just love motorcycles. I love the new models, but I really love the old UJM, I had a 1980 Honda 750F, i wish I had kept that one. But, I traded that in for a 1982 Suzuki GS1100E, I wish I had kept that one also. My great motorcycle regret is not buying the Honda CBX, I love that bike!

Last edited:
Very nice bike and good to hear you are back to riding.
I would recommend getting the petcock rebuilt as well. You don’t want to hydrolock that engine.

My 2000 Valkyrie Interstate is great, it could use a 6th gear or a taller final drive though.
That flat six is a one sweet, sweet piece of engineering. Bought it to cruise around with my wife and didn’t think I would enjoy a cruiser so much. I think it’s because of the engine. It sounds awesome, it’s smooth as glass at all RPMs and has very good amount of power. I ride it everywhere now.

Very nice bike and good to hear you are back to riding.
I would recommend getting the petcock rebuilt as well. You don’t want to hydrolock that engine.

My 2000 Valkyrie Interstate is great, it could use a 6th gear or a taller final drive though.
That flat six is a one sweet, sweet piece of engineering. Bought it to cruise around with my wife and didn’t think I would enjoy a cruiser so much. I think it’s because of the engine. It sounds awesome, it’s smooth as glass at all RPMs and has very good amount of power. I ride it everywhere now.
Good suggestion, I wasn’t aware the peacock would need to be rebuilt. (y)

Plus with and average of < 2,000 miles a year, tire wear is not a huge issue.

The Valk is a good candidate for darkside, but not if you are not putting the miles on it.

Also some just don't want to do it.
I am thinking the dark side would impact handling also; I may be wrong on that.

Back