2001 Ford E250 brake question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

We have a 2001 Ford E250 (non-extended). It has a pulsating brake pedal so I'm thinking I will change the front pads and rotors. While looking at Rockauto.com, I see the rotors are available either as a disc-only that fits over the hub, or as a disc that includes the hub with bearing and wheel studs.

I'm wondering which one I should go with. The van has 146K miles so it wouldn't hurt to change the bearings. Will the hub slide right off? I imagine there is a big nut on the stub axle and then the whole bearing and hub slides off?

If it's a lot of work maybe I can just go with the rotor-only.

Anyone out there done one of these?

Thanks,
Andy

You don't have a "choice" between the two types of rotors. Your van will either have one setup or the other. If I remember correctly the fronts are the ones you have to deal with the bearing, and the rear rotors just slide off and on.

OK you are right. I didn't catch that. Sometimes the minimal descriptions of the parts can be confusing! I ordered new rotors and pads, front and back, Raybestos for $320 shipped. Nice.

Andy

Originally Posted By: Miller88
For $320 I'd hate to be warping rotors a lot. That's ridiculously expensive!

Not for a van like that. Using OEM, not Motorcraft parts, that $320 would barely cover the front rotors.

Due to the extraordinary costs,this is one of the times I'd consider cutting the rotors, instead of new ones.
This can be a great option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back