2 oil change with ultra ? dino oil 5k each

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite all the passionate opinions on both sides, it simply doesn't matter much whether or not you drain the filter to be re-used. If you don't you save some labor, at cost of leaving the new oil slightly dirtier, so it would hypothetically need to be changed SLIGHTLY sooner the next time. The reused gasket won't leak, if it wasn't already. I do usually drain the filter, time permitting.

Draining spin-on filters with functional anti-drainback valves can be a bit tricky or tedious.

Last edited:
I run FU for 2 10,000 km OCIs.

You could technically run them for 3-4 5,000 mile intervals.

I take the filter off and drain/inspect it. Totally not necessary but makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

In my particular car a lot of oil drains out when I remove the filter that doesn't come out the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is this for your Nissan truck? Is it a spin in filter? I'm not a fan of their cartridges..

Anyways, some here have taken them off to drain, but I am in the "don't disturb the gasket" camp. There's a 50/50 chance it's usable after you remove and reinstall it. The potential risk in the name of saving time and money just doesn't add up to me. But to each his own.

I've ran them to 15k before with various brands, types etc. It'll be fine.

Nissan uses cartridge filters? This is news to me, every Nissan I've ever changed oil on had a spin on.

As far as using the FU for 2 OCI's I can't comment. I'm in the one filter/one OCI camp, they're too cheap to justify not changing when the oil is changed IMHO.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is this for your Nissan truck? Is it a spin in filter? I'm not a fan of their cartridges..

Anyways, some here have taken them off to drain, but I am in the "don't disturb the gasket" camp. There's a 50/50 chance it's usable after you remove and reinstall it. The potential risk in the name of saving time and money just doesn't add up to me. But to each his own.

I've ran them to 15k before with various brands, types etc. It'll be fine.

Nissan uses cartridge filters? This is news to me, every Nissan I've ever changed oil on had a spin on.

As far as using the FU for 2 OCI's I can't comment. I'm in the one filter/one OCI camp, they're too cheap to justify not changing when the oil is changed IMHO.

I don't keep track of what manufacturer uses what. Seems to change all the time.

It's never really been something I had considered doing on my Honda but believe it or not the 2006 Civic does state in the owner's manual that the oil filter change is only needed every other oil change! And that's obviously not even taking the superior Ultra filter into consideration either. So it's got me thinking, if Honda seems to be ok with it, the idea might not be so far fetched.

I've been using the Ultra filters on some of my cars ever since they first came to the market and have always thought they were the best premium filter that's readily available out there.

So I think I might begin keeping my Ultras on my Honda for two oil changes from now on. I run M1 AFE 0w20 so I wouldn't be pushing that oil any longer than 10,000 miles, so the longest amount of time I would have the Ultra filter in service for would be 20,000 miles but it sounds like that should not be too difficult for it. The thing I like about doing this (aside from saving a bit of $) is the fact that every other oil change becomes a little bit easier for me. I do still enjoy changing my oil but I have always hated changing the oil filter as it's the messiest part of the job no matter how careful you are. (and it's also the time where you're most likely to get slightly burned)

Originally Posted By: CR94

Draining spin-on filters with functional anti-drainback valves can be a bit tricky or tedious.

The "tail" of a nylon zip-tie fixes that problem.

Originally Posted By: Patman
....... the owner's manual that the oil filter change is only needed every other oil change! And that's obviously not even taking the superior Ultra filter into consideration either. So it's got me thinking, if Honda seems to be ok with it, the idea might not be so far fetched.

Even an "Orange Can" with 30,000 miles still filters better than the "screen door" material Volkswagen type 1 engines used.

I do still enjoy changing my oil but I have always hated changing the oil filter as it's the messiest part of the job no matter how careful you are. (and it's also the time where you're most likely to get slightly burned)

This came up in another concurrent thread and I didn't understand it there either.

Its optimal (but optional) to drain your oil hot, because you're likely to get more contaminants out that way.

This does not seem to apply to changing your oil filter.

Why not do that after your oil has drained for a while and everything has cooled down some?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I was thinking using ultra for 2 oil change on on my family car, mix city/highway 5k miles oil change. the way his car oil filter location, I might as well leave it there for 2 oil change, never did 2 oil change on same filter in my life. This will be no problem with ultra right ?

are peoples doing 2 oil change on same filter with ultra ? do you guy just leave the filter in there or take off to drain the old oil, then reinstall the filter ?

No, I NEVER have and NEVER will!

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Why not do that after your oil has drained for a while and everything has cooled down some?

I have done that in the past, where I have let the oil drain for two hours and then change the filter and by then it's not hot at all. But these days it seems like time is at more of a premium and it's hard enough to find the time to squeeze in a quick oil change (30-45 min) let alone a much longer period of time.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

I have done that in the past, where I have let the oil drain for two hours and then change the filter and by then it's not hot at all. But these days it seems like time is at more of a premium and it's hard enough to find the time to squeeze in a quick oil change (30-45 min) let alone a much longer period of time.

Patman, that's why we PLAN AHEAD, to have that time for an OCI that isn't rushed.
But, I see your point as well. It's a double edge sword sometimes.

It's never really been something I had considered doing on my Honda but believe it or not the 2006 Civic does state in the owner's manual that the oil filter change is only needed every other oil change!.....

I believe it. It's been Honda OM recommended SOP dating back to at least 1996, then "normal service" spec. Similar goes for the newer MM FCI, except with MM A,B service notification FCI always every other time.

Though I haven't made standard practice of it, I have done it to ~13.5k miles/2years on an Accord with a BD+3323, and a 3.4L Tacoma for ~14k miles/32 months posted HERE. (Not sure if others can see the photobucket pics, but oddly I can see them.) Anyway both anecdotes worked out fine, and I'd have no fear of doing it again. In fact, currently running a Napa Gold 1334 2 ocis to up to two years on same Tacoma only seeing 4-5k miles a year. Also as noted in link filter not in easiest location so perfect for two oci, fci.

So to topic, no reason imo FU wouldn't be just fine for two 5k dino oci's. And a good way to get some ROI on the FU purchase. Leaving the filter in place, not draining is best practice. Doing otherwise risks compromising the sealing gasket.

I change any filter every 5k on an all gas driven car. There seems to be a parallel universe where in oil filters $6 more per year is a lot of money, but everywhere else $6 is a sandwich or a coffee or two or three gals of gas.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I change any filter every 5k on an all gas driven car. There seems to be a parallel universe where in oil filters $6 more per year is a lot of money, but everywhere else $6 is a sandwich or a coffee or two or three gals of gas.

Very well said! You should use my signature slogan in your signature.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Sure-I change the junk (Puro made & other) jobber filters every OCI, it's a primary reason why the Transit gets an oil change every 5K religiously. BUT, on a spin-on filter that has proven it can take it, I will use an Ultra up to FOUR 5K dino oil changes, and not remove it to drain it until it gets changed-and they'll be cut & posted here to show how they did. If others want to waste resources and money, it's their money!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Sure-I change the junk (Puro made & other) jobber filters every OCI, it's a primary reason why the Transit gets an oil change every 5K religiously. BUT, on a spin-on filter that has proven it can take it, I will use an Ultra up to FOUR 5K dino oil changes, and not remove it to drain it until it gets changed-and they'll be cut & posted here to show how they did. If others want to waste resources and money, it's their money!

How is it a waste of money?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: CR94
The "tail" of a nylon zip-tie fixes that problem.
Yes. I used that method sometimes, and other times the method of spanking on the dome end. Either can damage the filter if not done carefully.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I was thinking using ultra for 2 oil change on on my family car, mix city/highway 5k miles oil change. the way his car oil filter location, I might as well leave it there for 2 oil change, never did 2 oil change on same filter in my life. This will be no problem with ultra right ?

are peoples doing 2 oil change on same filter with ultra ? do you guy just leave the filter in there or take off to drain the old oil, then reinstall the filter ?

No, I NEVER have and NEVER will!

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Though I haven't made standard practice of it, I have done it to ~13.5k miles/2years on an Accord with a BD+3323, and a 3.4L Tacoma for ~14k miles/32 months posted HERE. (Not sure if others can see the photobucket pics, but oddly I can see them.)

FYI, can not see the ransomed Photobucket photos in your link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back