1zzfe valve cover gasket

Any valve cover gaskets mfgs i should avoid? Right now oe is 35 while rockauto has them from $5 all the way to $26.

mfgs include mahle, felpro, ultra, apex, itm, beck, victor, ajusa

I’ve had Felpro in my 1zzfe for a little over 50k miles. Victor Reinz and Mahle are good brands and I’ve used them on other vehicles.

For the Tensioner o-ring, I would get genuine Toyota only. Me personally, I wouldn’t bother with that o-ring if it’s just a minor seepage. Ditto on the IM gasket - the car will let you know it’s time for replacement (P1071 CEL). I’ve had the old black gasket in there since the car left NUMMI and I haven’t had any issues through all the frigid winters the car has been in. But according to the folks, I might have had exceptionally good luck compared to most others. YMMV!

I would also replace the tensioner o-ring and install the updated intake manifold gasket if those items have not been done.
I’ve had Felpro in my 1zzfe for a little over 50k miles. Victor Reinz and Mahle are good brands and I’ve used them on other vehicles.

For the Tensioner o-ring, I would get genuine Toyota only. Me personally, I wouldn’t bother with that o-ring if it’s just a minor seepage. Ditto on the IM gasket - the car will let you know it’s time for replacement (P1071 CEL). I’ve had the old black gasket in there since the car left NUMMI and I haven’t had any issues through all the frigid winters the car has been in. But according to the folks, I might have had exceptionally good luck compared to most others. YMMV!
Im not doing the job, but advising the owner of what to look out for when getting the job done through their mechanic of choice.

This vehicle has a couple of evap codes that the owner doesnt really care about, lazy o2 sensor that tends to throw a pending 420 that disappears after being used, and well it runs lean (+15-18).

Oring tensioner leaks, and I told him if he does the valve cover some day, do that as well. Intake manifold might be necessary, but are those more so on the 9th gen (orange gasket)? The bolts are also not long for this world, so i doubt the local shop wants to do that without a code.

i also advised about the pcv orings but thats as needed basis.

Im not doing the job, but advising the owner of what to look out for when getting the job done through their mechanic of choice.

This vehicle has a couple of evap codes that the owner doesnt really care about, lazy o2 sensor that tends to throw a pending 420 that disappears after being used, and well it runs lean (+15-18).

Oring tensioner leaks, and I told him if he does the valve cover some day, do that as well. Intake manifold might be necessary, but are those more so on the 9th gen (orange gasket)? The bolts are also not long for this world, so i doubt the local shop wants to do that without a code.

i also advised about the pcv orings but thats as needed basis.
which bolts? I don't know of any "bolts" that have issues.

and which PCV orings? talking about the PCV Valve? it doesn't need replacement, it can easily be cleaned...

I am currently rebuilding 6 of these engines, and I have done 101 previously.

1. Replace the tensioner o-ring with OEM Toyota as suggested by others.
  2. Replace the Dipstick o-ring it leaks almost 99% of the time
  3. Replace the VVTi actuator o-ring they leak sometimes but not always, the exact same o-ring can be replaced on the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor they almost never leak but I replace them during rebuilds.
  4. Which year 1zzfe is it? if it is from 2003 and up, it think it uses the newer oil cap, they can also leak, replace the o-ring in them as well
OEM Part numbers if needed

VVTi Solenoid/(Camshaft & Crankshaft position sensors) - O-RingG1917-32010$3.423
Oil Dipstick Tube O-Ring96721-19010$2.501
Timing Chain Tensioner O-Ring90301-22013$4.421
Oil Filler Cap Gasket90080-43025$2.511

Aftermarket Part

Intake Manifold Gasket1
Throttle Body Gasket1

As suggested by others, I have never had any issues with Mahle or Felpro Valve Cover Gaskets, never used OEM, and couldn't justify the cost of OEM Valve Cover Gaskets...just remember to use RTV at 2 points as recommended by Toyota and torque it spec.

Last edited:
which bolts? I don't know of any "bolts" that have issues.

and which PCV orings? talking about the PCV Valve? it doesn't need replacement, it can easily be cleaned...

I am currently rebuilding 6 of these engines, and I have done 101 previously.

1. Replace the tensioner o-ring with OEM Toyota as suggested by others.
  2. Replace the Dipstick o-ring it leaks almost 99% of the time
  3. Replace the VVTi actuator o-ring they leak sometimes but not always, the exact same o-ring can be replaced on the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor they almost never leak but I replace them during rebuilds.
  4. Which year 1zzfe is it? if it is from 2003 and up, it think it uses the newer oil cap, they can also leak, replace the o-ring in them as well
OEM Part numbers if needed

VVTi Solenoid/(Camshaft & Crankshaft position sensors) - O-RingG1917-32010$3.423
Oil Dipstick Tube O-Ring96721-19010$2.501
Timing Chain Tensioner O-Ring90301-22013$4.421
Oil Filler Cap Gasket90080-43025$2.511

Aftermarket Part

Intake Manifold Gasket1
Throttle Body Gasket1

As suggested by others, I have never had any issues with Mahle or Felpro Valve Cover Gaskets, never used OEM, and couldn't justify the cost of OEM Valve Cover Gaskets...just remember to use RTV at 2 points as recommended by Toyota and torque it spec.
Thanks.

1)Hopefully the mechanic does it with an oe tensioner. I do see some toyota forums have good luck with cloyes tensioner or simply rtving.

2) Dipstick o ring is fine, when i last saw the vehicle.

3) no vvti in this motor nor coil on plug setup. Runs a wireset.

4) Oil fill cap is bone dry last i checked.

5) the manifold is the aluminum type unlike the plastic setup in the later 1zzfes, the bolts last i remember looked pretty bad.

corolla-2000-engine.jpg

stock image

Last edited:
Intake manifold might be necessary, but are those more so on the 9th gen (orange gasket)?
You’re correct, the orange gasket was the revised design on the 9th gen vs. the grey/black that came from the factory. I’m guessing this a gen. 8 based on the aluminum intake?

Out of curiosity, what year and how miles it got? Do you know if it’s an oil burner?

You’re correct, the orange gasket was the revised design on the 9th gen vs. the grey/black that came from the factory. I’m guessing this a gen. 8 based on the aluminum intake?

Out of curiosity, what year and how miles it got? Do you know if it’s an oil burner?
I didnt ask bout the oil burning status nor remember the mileage.

update for the thread. seems the valve cover job got done, new plugs.

Mechanic didnt want to touch the orings, claimed that no shop will touch that tensioner oring, because it will destroy the motor...I chuckled hearing this but the owner was adamant this was a mechanic they trusted.

Pcv oring nots required since the pcv was a fairly recent replacement,

Blue gasket was used, so i assume its a fel pro. They also didnt want to change the oil after the job since mechanic said...who throws out perfectly clean oil...i had to cringe, but again not my car not my problem.

And lastly was the manifold gasket, said no code no touch.

Thanks.

1)Hopefully the mechanic does it with an oe tensioner. I do see some toyota forums have good luck with cloyes tensioner or simply rtving.

2) Dipstick o ring is fine, when i last saw the vehicle.

3) no vvti in this motor nor coil on plug setup. Runs a wireset.

4) Oil fill cap is bone dry last i checked.

5) the manifold is the aluminum type unlike the plastic setup in the later 1zzfes, the bolts last i remember looked pretty bad.

corolla-2000-engine.jpg

stock image
1) why are you replacing the OEM tensioner? never ever seen that fail...just change the o-ring, and make sure to use OEM o-ring, and that mechanic is making excuses because he is worried that he won't properly install the tensioner after changing the o-ring (most people repairing vehicles, especially engine related things are imb*****s)
2) that's great, must be a low mileage engine is a colder environment.
3) that's great, never ever replace the OEM spark plug wires, never ever seen one fail, they always passed the resistance set.
4) that's great, they must not be spilling oil and properly tightening it.
5) those are the same bolts, spray some pb blaster or similar product and gently put a 12mm socket on, never seen those break either, I have removed countless intake manifold bolts (including at the junkyard for many different item I wanted to get off the car)

Also a blue gasket (slight darker blue then older felpro blue (now felpro gaskets for this engine are orange)) can be a APEX gasket, which is cheaper then Felpro and Mahle/Victor Reinz but quality wise, its a great gasket, worst are those Ultra power black colored gaskets which I have seen fail many times but after 40-50k miles.

I have never ever had to replace a Felpro, Mahle, Victor Reinz, or Apex valve cover gasket, and have re-used them without issues, Ultra power (something) or OEM valve cover gaskets (because they are original from the factory) always get replaced.

Last edited:
Check on Toyota’s website to see if a dealership local to you participates in their discounted parts pricing. My local dealership just started doing this in December 2023 and their prices are usually 20-30% off of retail.

And might as well get a new throttle body gasket when you replace the intake manifold gasket. I would recommend going OEM for those. The new Toyota intake gasket is really nice.
And clean the throttle body as well.

Also, at this age, it wouldn’t surprise me if the timing cover itself is also leaking:

And clean the throttle body as well.

Also, at this age, it wouldn’t surprise me if the timing cover itself is also leaking:

I have helped the owner do the throttle body and gasket back in 2019. The iac we didnt touch, because the star screws were stripped by someone else.

The o ring on the tensioner i might help them do in the warmer months. The timing cover, i'll let them know as well.

I have helped the owner do the throttle body and gasket back in 2019. The iac we didnt touch, because the star screws were stripped by someone else.

The o ring on the tensioner i might help them do in the warmer months. The timing cover, i'll let them know as well.
I would personally do the tensioner o-ring, then completely clean the timing cover area and the power steering pump, then monitor for leaks before touching the actual timing cover seal, from my experience 98 to 02 timing covers didn't leak as they were properly applying the RTV from factory, I started to see the timing cover actually leaking (where the cylinder head and block meet) from 06 to 08, which seems to be manufacturing issues where the timing cover RTV wasn't applied properly.

The oil pan, timing cover if properly sealed using Toyota RTV or similar, will never ever leak.

I started to see the timing cover actually leaking (where the cylinder head and block meet) from 06 to 08, which seems to be manufacturing issues where the timing cover RTV wasn't applied properly.

The oil pan, timing cover if properly sealed using Toyota RTV or similar, will never ever leak.
Those "T-joints" are an area where three different surfaces (and potentially materials) meet. Overtime, I think the different expansion/contraction rates will tear the RTV and cause a leak. On some Toyota engines, these T-joints are huge and part of the problem; I think a leak is inevitable.

The oil pan tends to be one round surfaces (with no seams) and I have pretty much never seen one leak.

Back