1996 Lumina coolant sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys my bros car (noted above) with 104k miles has his coolant light flashing for a while then its on all the time. he is not loosing coolant and both the resevoir and the radiator itself is full. so that leaves the sensor. its $30 bucks for the part but where the [censored] is the sensor? anyone with a schematic or what not? pics perhaps? thanks guys!

btw can he just leave it be and the car will be fine as long as he keeps an eye on it?
mike

Last edited:
GM often puts them in the coolant resevoir, have you looked for it there? Sometimes they just get stuck as well and a couple of taps/hits to the resevoir will loosen it up. I'm not sure of the type this car has however.

i think they said it was attached to the cylinder head on the outside so it will be an easy fix BUT he lives in Buffalo so Ill have to walk him through it thats why i am asking here for more info on where its at and what it will take to replace

The coolant temp. sensor is likely to be on the cyl. head but most level sensors are on the overflow tank that I've seen. Which are you talking about? I guess a level sensor could be on the cylinder head however. Either way I probably don't have the answer you need with my limited experience with that car, good luck.

One with few skills can often remove the overflow/surge tank as it's a bolt or two to the fender and a couple hose clamps. Once off, cover the output holes with your thumbs, put in a little automatic dish soap and a few ounces of water, and shake!

Incidentally one should find an electrical connection while they're disconnecting everything.

yeah i think its located on the radiator itself or the resevoir tank. one chevy place said the block but that was for the temp sensor.. duh on his part... the other said the radiator or resvoir which make much more sense. i cannot touch my bros car, he is in New York and i am in NC.. i was also told that he can drive around with that light on with no worries but he should be very aware of the coolant level.... my bro knows this....thanks guys for your help!

Can we asssume it is the low coolant light that is on and not the one that indicates overheating. In that case stop driving and see a mechanic!

Originally Posted By: Spector
Can we asssume it is the low coolant light that is on and not the one that indicates overheating. In that case stop driving and see a mechanic!

its just the low coolant light not the temp sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back