1993-Up Camaros....how to change the Fuel Pump prefilter Sock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Yall,

I have been reading some posts on how Redline S1 Fuel Cleaner dissolves the Fuel Tank Nylon sock.

I have a 98 Camaro with 65,500 miles and I have added that stuff on average every 3-4,000 miles.

Based on the post I am concerned that i may have damaged the fuel pump sock.

On Camaro's obviously the In-Line Filter is outside the tank and easy to access.

HOWEVER...how much of labor pain in the neck is getting to the Fuel Pump Assembly in the Tank so i can investigate the Fuel Socks condition? Advice will save me lots from dealer in the way of ultra high labor rates.

Thanks,

Sun-

You would have to drop the gas tank to do this,,not sure on your model but a major pain in a 91 and prior F-body because the differential has to be removed and if the stock muffler has been replaced with a welded on unit it furthers the PIA factor.

I think Redine has some pretty good products,another member here has used the Redline in the tank for years w/o problems and remember when it's in the tank it's deluted,not quite like soaking the sock in pure additive right out of the bottle.
Is the motor nosing over up top?

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
You would have to drop the gas tank to do this,,not sure on your model but a major pain in a 91 and prior F-body because the differential has to be removed and if the stock muffler has been replaced with a welded on unit it furthers the PIA factor.

Its the same situation with the 4th Gen cars (93-02).

IMO unless its giving you problems I would leave it alone. If you do decide to pull it apart I would replace the pump as well since you're there anyways.

Good Luck!
Jason
93 Trans Am

"Is the motor nosing over on top"

-Actually right now I have the stock 3800 Series II w/the slush box 4L60E Hydromatic. The Engine itself has proved itself to be as reliable and stout as can be. There are no apparent upper engine problems to answer your question. I will have my first engine oil analysis soon...the data i look forward to reading. I usually run Royal Purple OEM 10W30...but right now for Winter it has Mobil 1 5W30 SS.

Needless to say I wish I had the venerable LS1
frown.gif

Perhaps I will invest in a salvage LS1/tranny and and have it remanfactured by Gigliotti or Lingenfelter or what not in the next 2 years.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
"Is the motor nosing over on top"

-Actually right now I have the stock 3800 Series II w/the slush box 4L60E Hydromatic. The Engine itself has proved itself to be as reliable and stout as can be. There are no apparent upper engine problems to answer your question. I will have my first engine oil analysis soon...the data i look forward to reading. I usually run Royal Purple OEM 10W30...but right now for Winter it has Mobil 1 5W30 SS.

Needless to say I wish I had the venerable LS1
frown.gif

You and me both!
frown.gif

For me it's worse since I had a taste of the LS1, having owned a 98 Formula from April 98 until Nov 2000. Then I strayed and bought a 97 GTP, and less than a year later wanted another Firebird, but could only afford to get an LT1 Firebird this time (a 95 Formula) Not a single day goes by where I don't wish I still had my 98, that was one awesome machine (it ran a best ET of 12.68 at 110.6 mph)

FWIW nosing over means not enough fuel in the upper rpm ranges . Some will nose over from cam,heads and other breathing problems but this was aimed only at fuel delivery problems on a stock motor.

Thanks for the nosing over question.

Ironically the only "real" problem is that thier seems to be a heck of a lot of back pressure apparent to the stock dual outlet exhaust.

I have no intention of investing in a 600$ BB Triflo or Borla cat-back stainless exhaust system and headers until i can LS1'IZE my car
smile.gif

So much so that if the car is revved at idle it can not go over 4,000 rpms without "bucking"

It can go rev to ~6000rpm when under drive...thank god for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back