1992 Plymouth Voyager, 4300 miles, Valvoline Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the latest UOA from my Voyager. At the time, it had 210,600 miles on it. Burns a quart every 1300-1400 miles on average. Not too bad for the mileage, but I'm running an Auto-RX treatment as we speak to see if I can get that down a little bit.

Last edited:
Sweet!
cheers.gif
...despite all her critics...Ashland has delivered again...let us know if Auto-RX slows consumption...

I did forget to mention to them that this was a bit of a mix... IIRC, it was about 2 qts 10w-30 Maxlife to 3 qts 5w-30 Durablend. Of course top-offs were with whichever was handy. The previous change (the 3,100 OCI) was all 10w-30 Maxlife, however.

Well...If my van were burning this much oil...I would go to Napa and get Napa 10w30...made by Ashland...the makers of Valvoline...I would do this when I could not get Valvoline on sale...just another option...

Quote:

I did forget to mention to them that this was a bit of a mix... IIRC, it was about 2 qts 10w-30 Maxlife to 3 qts 5w-30 Durablend. Of course top-offs were with whichever was handy. The previous change (the 3,100 OCI) was all 10w-30 Maxlife, however.

Do you have the visc from the last uoa with the 10w30 maxlife?

Quote:

Visc was 61.3 (on the Blackstone scale) and flashpoint was 400F.

Quote:

you could easily do 5k miles on that oil maxlife or durablend esp with as many top off as you do.

This thing is weird. It will go 800, maybe even 1,000 or more miles without burning or using a drop. Like now, I'm running around 800 miles on the oil that's in there and it's fine (watch, now that I said that, it'll swallow a quart by the time I check it next). Then it'll shoot down a half a quart. I'll top it off and it'll be fine for awhile. I'm hoping this is indicative of something sludged or plugged and the Auto-RX will at least help.

I'm no expert, but from some of the engines I have seen and heard of, that kinda sounds like maybe you have a stuck oil control ring. When they stick in a certain position it may be letting some oil slip by it. I think Auto-Rx would definetly be a good idea on this engine if that was the case.
Quote:

Quote:

Visc was 61.3 (on the Blackstone scale) and flashpoint was 400F.

Quote:

you could easily do 5k miles on that oil maxlife or durablend esp with as many top off as you do.

This thing is weird. It will go 800, maybe even 1,000 or more miles without burning or using a drop. Like now, I'm running around 800 miles on the oil that's in there and it's fine (watch, now that I said that, it'll swallow a quart by the time I check it next). Then it'll shoot down a half a quart. I'll top it off and it'll be fine for awhile. I'm hoping this is indicative of something sludged or plugged and the Auto-RX will at least help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back