1991 Sierra K2500 automatic trans "clunking"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck is "clunking" (for lack of a better word) when switching between forward and reverse.

My uneducated guess is that it is not a worn u-joint issue since the drivetrain is otherwise nice and tight when driving.

The transmission shifts very smoothly when driving.

Fluid is clean.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

Typically we would look at the transmission mount on the crossmember, check the motor mounts, too.

FWIW it's sounds like you are describing bad u-joints...

Safely climb under it while transmission is in neutral and twist the drive shaft. If you feel a lot of play, then the u-joints need replaced. If not, then look at the transmission cross member, and then the motor mounts.

Thinking this is normal for a truck - most of mine did it when new. Most play is in the 3rd member - ring and pinion play. Did the truck get a rear diff lubricant change after break in? That about all it needs unless you submerge it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Safely climb under it while transmission is in neutral and twist the drive shaft. If you feel a lot of play, then the u-joints need replaced. If not, then look at the transmission cross member, and then the motor mounts.

+1 Can't stress safely but this is how I would go about it

Xfer case and third member is where I would start looking. I like what was said above about getting under it and you should be able to see where the slop is. But do it in a SAFE manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back