1990 honda accord tranny fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
i do that t-tec technique...the tube costs 3 bucks for 2 feet...thats 1.50 a foot. i use a fuel line..its cheaper and since its only to direct fluid into a bucket and not hold under intense heat and pressure...

i bought some lubeguard today. 13 bucks. i bought the black bottle but it states for mercon V applications? but also mercon V/dextron III.

i think temp i will use this..then next time ill use honda atf...its liek a band aid..let this additive help me for now cover up some stuff...then later flush with full honda atf.

since the fluid is new, still wondering should i replace the fluid or just add this additive...."add to cars tranyn while idling..."
so i add this when the car is on?

quote:

Originally posted by smeltjr:
DO NOT! DO NOT! USE STRAIGHT DEX III.....the sheet for Hondas has an asterisk that noted to use Dex II and stated DO NOT USE Dex III. i wrote in after i saw this. response was that Dex III was suitable only if a friction modifier, namely Lubegard in a black bottle was added.....The best thing to do with your Honda is to go to the dealer and use Honda fluid-this is the one thing, along with coolant and power steering fluid that i believe that their proprietary fluids ARE different and parts are too **** expensive to replace on my daily driver/beater. you will also find posts that it shifts best with this stuff. certainly wouldnt risk a tranny. Mine is a 90 integra-still runs like a champ.

I looked at my "Chek-Chart" and they also said use DexronII and do not use DexronIII where DexronII is called for on a current chart. (Where DexronII is called for on the original owner's manual, you don't know what to do, 'cuz DexronIII is generally backwards compatible without problems.)

I have had good results in a '91 Honda with DexronIII + black bottle Lubegard.

Ken

[ October 10, 2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

*still wondering if i should go with the additive or honda fluid...im swinging towards honda fluid...should i auto-rx before replacing to honda fluid or just change right away? i did auto rx about umm 9000 miles ago i believe...maybe 10k.

i think that honda ATF will benifit more for this tranny than an additive....at least longevity will pervail.

what you guys think?

thanks...

drifter-
If you check any of the Honda or Acura boards you will read post after post about how much better honda fluid is in trans comparred to anything else. This coming from people who taught they were going to lose tranny and tried everything.I recently bought a case of tranny fluid from Honda dealer I asked for the case price and saved a bundle!

how much if i may ask? i will go for it, i just needed another convincing opinion...lol i just spent 45 dollars on buffer pads and mequiras waxes today....

tomorrow ill be for sure to buy it, wish they came in gallon jugs...

so t-tec with 7 quarts??

4 busks a quart. Actually it was like $46 and change and then tax(12 qts). I live in LA and I have 2 honda dealers and 1 Acura dealer close by. The Acura dealer was better price than the Honda dealer closest to my house. That dealer is always high, All offered better price by the case.

forgot 2nd part of response- took all 12 qts to really flush it out well. Still $50(less than somme spend in 1 trip to autozone for GC) for the life of tranny ain't bad. Only need to do full flush like this 100,000 mi. Just standard drain and fill after that.

Drifter just doesn't believe in Honda ATF like so many on this board. Honda ATFZ1 is the real deal for Honda trannies and is a have to have when the tranny ages a bit.

Next stop for non modulated honda trannies is cleaning the solenoid screens. Something that is hardly documented but remember screens are filters and all filters need replacement or cleaning. If you are experiencing sluggish shifting, slow shifts or even stuck in gear. Check your solenoids and screens.

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
Drifter just doesn't believe in Honda ATF like so many on this board.

its not that i dont believe it...its just that i never conciderd it cause i followed what was in my manual and that i was "ok" with regular dextron III.

but now i see what is the hype about...

cleaning the screens..someone explained that to me but i need to see it done to do it =)

thanks CAtedster

I was skeptical too. The manual was printed before ATFZ1 was introduced. I only bought it when I enquired at my dealer while shopping for an oil filter. Then when I asked the price, I was even more shocked because it was much cheaper than Mobil 1 ATF and even cheaper than WalMart's house brand of synthetic ATF. So I gave it a shot and after one drain and fill, the effect was immediate. Honda recommends three.
Still the skeptic, I performed two over three months and will do my third after 6 months.

well i changed the tranny fluid today...my observations:

the fluid didnt smell like ATF>..it didnt stink...

it was alot thicker

pretty pricy 3.53/quart

well i did my t-tec flush with 6 quarts and now its a little over filled...later ill drain some out...but i drove it for a minute and the car feels the same...though it feels stronger than what i origionally had...perhaps when i take out the overfilled fluid then i will begin to notice a difference.

now its down to level...the shifts are not smooth..though smoother than before, but of course this tranny has life on it...

the shifts have become smoother and more presice. downshifting is great. it feels alot better now.

Let it soak into the clutch material for a while. It'll improve more.

Next thing, is to look at your tranny. Can you see some small cans like the size of photo film cans? Might be four of them. Take a look at how they are mounted, see some connectors coming off them?

Well, those cans are solenoids that control valves that direct pressure and flow to the valves for shifting. See if you can take them off the tranny body, they are mounted on a flange with probably 10mm bolts. They will have some seals with a very fine mesh screen filter. Carefully take those off and clean the deposits from them. As a precautionary measure, clean the passages that go into the solenoids with brake cleaner or even compressed air. Reassemble and drive. No harm done, and you've now done all that you can possibly do for the tranny short of a rebuild.

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
Let it soak into the clutch material for a while. It'll improve more.

hey, it did improve today, its alot better now...

quote:

Well, those cans are solenoids that control valves that direct pressure and flow to the valves for shifting. See if you can take them off the tranny body, they are mounted on a flange with probably 10mm bolts. They will have some seals with a very fine mesh screen filter. Carefully take those off and clean the deposits from them. As a precautionary measure, clean the passages that go into the solenoids with brake cleaner or even compressed air. Reassemble and drive. No harm done, and you've now done all that you can possibly do for the tranny short of a rebuild.

i see what ur talking about, its like little 2 gold film canister size things that are held in by 3 10mm bolts. if u take it off it seems as the whole system comes off (the 2 canisters).

is that the screen that everyone has been talking about that can make your transmission shift funny?

id really like to try to clean those out, yet ill do it on my friends accord first to make sure haha.

whats the worse that can happen? if this post is going too far, then we should make another post about your idea.

i cleaned out mayn things and i think the metal screen looks like the metal screen inside the IAC.

well i did that thing....i took it out..it had 2 of those cylinder things. when i opened it, it was a screen...one for each of the cylinders...they were sparky clean...no dirt at all nor shavings or anything..

on the bottom part of the tranny there is another set of cylinders that i can remove but its in a hard place....iono if i should try...cause the one i pulled out today was pretty new looking....

ill post a picture tomorrow of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back