1988 Monte Carlo LS

A friend of mine is selling his 88 Monte Carlo LS. It is a V8, with I think he told me, 120k miles on it. It has been garage kept it's entire life. Thing is he hasn't driven it in probably 5 years so not sure what condition the fuel system is like. I have searched online but only finding SS models for sale. I know it isn't anything special but would make a great sleeper with a nice built LS engine installed. I don't know anything else about it at the moment. He is getting up in age and is trying to clean out so his daughter doesn't have to. Thanks

Nice cars.
Back in the day my brother had a 78 and 81.

It's certainly different compared to what's offered these days in that category (closest comparison would probably be a GMC Acadia with the 3.6 V6).

I had a 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix that shared the same body. Only thing I had to replace was a fuse-able link that left the car completely dead (key ignition did nothing). But it was a one wheel peel full of fun for the short duration I had it. Your's sounds like it's an excellent buy depending on the price I suppose. 305?

Last edited:
it is probably a 305 though i guess its conceivable it is 307 olds too... zero chance of being a 350 unless swapped....gonna have a feedback Q jet on it... could be amusing...

If it has wire hubcaps go ahead and take them off and wrap with duct tape before driving, you're welcome...

I had an 85SS. I liked the car, wish I still had it. Off the 88s were like the 85s, the standard V8 (LG4) is 160hp, the SS (L69) was only 180hp so it wasn’t a big bump.

Parts are available because of the more popular g body, Regal/GN.

I would in a heartbeat. G-bodies are getting more and more expensive being among some of the last full-frame RWD cars, the the '88 is the last year of that series. 80's cars are getting up there in price too.

I miss my '78 Malibu 2-door V-8 coupe dearly. :(

Loved the 87/88 SS models, tried getting an 87 but didn't work out. :(
1699400465601.jpg

What's the question?

Those cars have a fan base, and are appreciating in value. A surprising number stay with a pre-LS engine and carb.

The gas might be ok. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and blow air back through it to the tank to see if the line's clear. Being inside out of temp/ humidity and having a charcoal canister system preserves fuel.

Lots of potential with that car. Despite being low on HP, those cars have good torque off the line and drive nice when being driven normally. Unfortunately, those headlights cost a chunk of money in the used market and I don't think new ones are available. I checked out of curiosity.

A more refined version of my dad's '83 Grand Prix
It's probably an LG4 & a 200-4R
Limited slip if you're lucky

Later models had the more refined (tap up/down) cruise control, and a CHMSL, 4 speed automatic, better seats, etc

Your's is the final year, so you get the composite headlights

Your's is newer, so get a shot of the RPO code sticker in the inner trunk trim panel (covering the spare) to learn how it's optioned

There's also a Body by Fisher tag on the body under the cowl on the drivers side, with other option codes

If it's clean, unmolested, and priced fairly, I'd snap it up

The E4ME feedback (Computer Command Control) carb is probably gonna need some attention no matter the fuel situation, so don't overthink it
Throw a battery in, check viral fluids, crank until oil pressure is observed
No need to do much more

A more refined version of my dad's '83 Grand Prix
It's probably an LG4 & a 200-4R
Limited slip if you're lucky

Later models had the more refined (tap up/down) cruise control, and a CHMSL, 4 speed automatic, better seats, etc

Your's is the final year, so you get the composite headlights

Your's is newer, so get a shot of the RPO code sticker in the inner trunk trim panel (covering the spare) to learn how it's optioned

There's also a Body by Fisher tag on the body under the cowl on the drivers side, with other option codes

If it's clean, unmolested, and priced fairly, I'd snap it up

The E4ME feedback (Computer Command Control) carb is probably gonna need some attention no matter the fuel situation, so don't overthink it
Throw a battery in, check viral fluids, crank until oil pressure is observed
No need to do much more
To add to this, the lg4 should have a roller cam in 87+ cars. My first Cutlass was an 87 and had the same drivetrain. The 2004R is currently in my 84 Cutlass with over 300k miles on it in its second car.

The CCC fuel system is rather easy to work on once you understand how it works. I'd snap that sucker up in a heartbeat. It's not a hot rod whether it's a 305 or 307, but that body style is nice (and heavy) and still easy to maintain. Expect mileage to be around 20MPG on average.

I sure as hell disagree, after 20 years of owning my 84. I put 130k miles on it in that time, almost at 250k miles.
Yea-but the thing is midsize cars have the same interior space, weighs at least 1/3 less, gets double the millage, Goes 100,000 miles without a tune up and the 4 or 6 cylinder motors have more horsepower.

Things have changed in almost 40ish years.

Yea-but the thing is midsize cars have the same interior space, weighs at least 1/3 less, gets double the millage, Goes 100,000 miles without a tune up and the 4 or 6 cylinder motors have more horsepower.

Except for the fact today's cars have virtually no character and have been reduced to being disposable appliances. I'd be all over this Monte for the right money. Love my 80s cars!

My daily driver '86 Daytona gets loads of comments and thumbs-up, costs almost nothing to maintain and insure, and can be (almost) rebuilt with enough clicks in the Rock Auto closeout section. Do I have on-board wi-fi and massaging seats? Nope, but I don't see 800 copies of myself at every stoplight, either

I won't argue about interior space, but modern cars usually tend to weigh more because of all the extra features and safety features like airbags. Something like a v8 challenger weighs a lot more than a v8 g body, so I don't believe there is a huge weight difference between my 3600 lb Cutlass and a modern midsize.
I have gotten over 25mpg out of my Cutlass with 2.93 gears and overdrive. Sure, lots of newer cars have more power and can go longer without a tune up but by the second tune up the car is probably on borrowed time (if we're talking modern turbo direct injection cars with CVT transmissions). We'll see how many of these are on the road still being daily driven in 40 years.
I was hauling surveying gear around in my Cutlass last week when my truck was in the shop.

Attachments

• 20231020_131901_HDR.jpg
    20231020_131901_HDR.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231023_080842_HDR.jpg
    20231023_080842_HDR.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231024_133302_HDR.jpg
    20231024_133302_HDR.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 18
What's the question?

Those cars have a fan base, and are appreciating in value. A surprising number stay with a pre-LS engine and carb.

The gas might be ok. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and blow air back through it to the tank to see if the line's clear. Being inside out of temp/ humidity and having a charcoal canister system preserves fuel.
Yeah, just read my post. Was wondering what it would be worth. From JDPowers site looks like around $5k, $8K if in mint condition.

So you're trying to say that because over the last 40 years, some progress has been made (and very easily arguable that lots of regression has been made too) that these 40 year old cars were complete junk? Despite the fact that they can still be used reliably after 40 years? I don't think I'm going to be able to understand you.

Back