1985 Mazda Rx-7 gsl-se

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the compliments. Its not perfect, but I've always loved the fb (first gen) Rx-7 styling. These cars are cool, but "raw"... no power steering, cramped quarters and late 70s engineering....

Also, I drove it 600 miles home from FL to SC, with no noticeable oil consumption. I do plan to premix the fuel just to be safe though.

Last edited:
Nice find.
These were very interesting cars back in the day and they still look nice.
Only Mazda actually had the nerve to use Wankels in production car applications after NSU tried and failed badly, although these engines were never entirely satisfactory in actual use in terms of longevity and they aren't in the RX-8 either. I've driven various rotary Mazdas and they are quite smooth.
FWIU, these engines need to be run hard, so you should visit the redline at WOT on a regular basis, which I'm sure you'd like to do anyway. From what I've also read, the engine is mechanically capable of running way past redline but that tip seal wear increases dramatically at elevated revs.
Enjoy this nice old survivor. Do you know anything of its history? 68K in 32 years isn't much and the fact that you nonchalantly drove it 600 miles home would indicate that it's in great condition overall.

You can run synthetic if you delete the omp. If its not been rebuilt its prob just pumping oil straight out of the engine anyways.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Thanks for the compliments. Its not perfect, but I've always loved the fb (first gen) Rx-7 styling. These cars are cool, but "raw"... no power steering, cramped quarters and late 70s engineering....

Also, I drove it 600 miles home from FL to SC, with no noticeable oil consumption. I do plan to premix the fuel just to be safe though.

Do you know what oil is in there. If no oil consumption in 600 miles or say negligible consumption then i wud keep using that oil.

For whats it worth I have owned 1986 rx7 from 1986 to around 2000.
1988 rx7 from 1988 to present.
Group iii oil is good. Have run m1 since 1986 too. Do share what oil is in your rx7. Sounds like a good oil.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv

Do you know what oil is in there. If no oil consumption in 600 miles or say negligible consumption then i wud keep using that oil.

Group iii oil is good. Have run m1 since 1986 too. Do share what oil is in your rx7. Sounds like a good oil.

Owner said its just conventional Quaker State 10w-30

I've heard from various rotary-engine devotees that it's a great idea to add a bit of oil into the fuel. Not sure what type of oil or ratio, but I'm sure a search will turn up some good advice.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv

Owner said its just conventional Quaker State 10w-30

Pyb conventional 10w30 had tons of gtl at one time. Wonder if quaker state got it too !!!! My rx7 has some gtl in it now !

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Check this car out. I almost bought this one instead:
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/mazda-rx-mint-condition/6177340408.html

Oh wow!! How do people keep a car that's this age so clean?? It looks like it's been locked in an airtight vault since it was built.

I was really tempted to get that one. Its in nicer shape than mine. But mine has AC and a 13b, so those were some deciding factors

Rx7s had a bad rap for some time.
To overcome that mazda tried hard to do a good job on them all around including paint and they were entirely made in japan with high quality control(atleast at that time).

Op u might want to run quaker state conventional 10w30 again and note the oil consumption. If it increases i bet the previous owners qsad 10w30 got gas to liquid oil from shell similar to pennzoil yellow bottle 10w30. Then the next time u can consider as an option switching to pp 10w30 which is gtl for sure.

There is a 10 dollar rebate for pp so it will be about 15 bucks for 5 quart jug at walmart after all is said and done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back