1980 Chevrolet C/K 20 ...$45,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
The main reason some of these are [trying to] command high prices is because all the ones that were actually driven have turned into rust powder. I loved the trucks, but those bodies. When they got the rust somewhat under order, the paint couldn't hang onto the primer.
I saw a mint square burb on the road today. They were quality trucks and you still see them occasionally almost 30 years after the last were made, even in Canada. GM switched to water based paint at some point in the 80s and it was junk.

There's one of the army pick up truck versions with the 6.2 diesel and 24v electrical system on the GTA Kijiji right now.

For some reason people think 20 year old or older vehicles with under 100000 miles are worth their weight in gold. Unless it is something special it isn't worth much more than a worn out one.

It is getting harder to find any square bodies anymore in this area but I am not going to pay a premium for one.

Last edited:
Almost all of those '73-'81 trucks disintegrated into a rust pile many, many years ago here. I understand the nostalgic desirability, but there are few things around that would be less comfortable to drive than an unladen '70s 3/4 ton pickup, short of a tank! Incredible that something so common could be stored that long & never driven-imagine if it was a 'Vette!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Almost all of those '73-'81 trucks disintegrated into a rust pile many, many years ago here. I understand the nostalgic desirability, but there are few things around that would be less comfortable to drive than an unladen '70s 3/4 ton pickup, short of a tank! Incredible that something so common could be stored that long & never driven-imagine if it was a 'Vette!
Owner was a jailbird?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I saw a mint square burb on the road today. They were quality trucks and you still see them occasionally almost 30 years after the last were made, even in Canada.

There certainly are some, but exceedingly rare. My dad bought a brand new GMC 3/4 ton in 1974. It was rusting seriously within four years. My dad had one of the first models of real 6.2 diesels (non-conversion). The rust wasn't the issue by then, but that poor paint you mentioned. Finding one of those in good shape would be awesome, but not at the price they'd command.

Bullwinkle is correct on his assessment. Try driving one for a long time if you're taller than 5'8" and don't have legs like Cotton Hill. I'm not tall by any stretch of the imagination, but any GM trucks of that era in a regular cab, I had to have the seat all the way back and it wasn't a nice fit. I'd hate to see someone 6" taller try it. For a short period of time, I drove a manual transmission GM 3/4 ton with a hoist, regular cab, a former yard truck, with gears to match, maybe a 1985, as a daily driver. That was barely more advanced than the 1951 model we had as a grain truck on the farm. The heater was marginally better, it had seatbelts, and the radio worked. Big whoop.
wink.gif

I have owned two square body trucks, and I really miss them. Unfortunately carburetor issues sent them on the next owner. If I owned another it would be a 75 so it's smog exempt in California and I would install fuel injection, or person do a 6.0L LS/4L80E swap. I also really like GMT400s but all of mine have had either transmission problems, AC problems, or both... again why I no longer own them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
I never understood the love many have for these trucks. The cabs are junk. The doors always rattle,gotta slam them just to shut them. Cams would go flat often. Quadrajet carburetor is a pain to fix and if its an automatic it will have a lock up converter that year that had design flaws.

Looks like a 2wd/C20 in the pic I saw in my itty bitty phone.

Yeah, pretty much my sentiments about square bodies - not GM finest hour. Now a Cameo in that condition - you bet
smile.gif

Originally Posted by cpayne5

With just about every vehicle, popularity increases 20-30 years after they were produced. That's about how long it takes the kids who grew up in them to have the disposable income to be able to afford the vehicles they fondly remember from their youth. When I was in high school 20 years ago, it was 67-72s. Next will be the 400s, and the 800s after that. Not sure the 900s will every be desirable. Just kidding!
smile.gif
Maybe.
I'm 29 and my fam had a 95 burb 2500 5.7 4x4 from 97-2005. My dad got an 88 Sierra in 1990 or something and still has a 97. GMT400 for life!

Pretty truck. I love the paint schemes they used back then.

It's a fun find, but I'd argue that it would need to be a K and either a 454 or diesel to bring 2/3 of the money they're asking. Can't see it drawing this sort of money unless it really hits a billionaire's sentimental side...

With just about every vehicle, popularity increases 20-30 years after they were produced. That's about how long it takes the kids who grew up in them to have the disposable income to be able to afford the vehicles they fondly remember from their youth. When I was in high school 20 years ago, it was 67-72s. Next will be the 400s, and the 800s after that. Not sure the 900s will every be desirable. Just kidding!
smile.gif
Maybe.
I'm 29 and my fam had a 95 burb 2500 5.7 4x4 from 97-2005. My dad got an 88 Sierra in 1990 or something and still has a 97. GMT400 for life!

Nice. We had a couple 400s, too. '89 C3500 extended cab dually w/ 454 and an '88 K2500 regular cab. I prefer the squares.
laugh.gif

I'd love to find a later model K2500 extended cab with the Vortec 454, though. It would be a nice weekend Home Depot warrior for me and kids.

We've got two 800s now. Both '03 K2500 regular cabs. One GMC one Chevrolet. I really like the 800 trucks, too.

Here's my square. Sorry about the other junk cluttering up the picture. Just kidding. I like all kinds of stuff.

truck.jpg

Last edited:
maxdustington said:
Nice. We had a couple 400s, too. '89 C3500 extended cab dually w/ 454 and an '88 K2500 regular cab. I prefer the squares.
laugh.gif

My dad had a 1989 diesel half ton, his second diesel from them. Now, that's when the trucks started to improve a fair bit. Unfortunately, it got stolen, recovered in minutes, but my dad was soured on it from that moment.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Owner was a jailbird?

Maybe grandpa bought it, it got forgotten, then the kids got embroiled in suit over the estate... dunno. Strange stuff happens.

That said, what kind of barn prevents moisture from getting in? Thing should get rusty just sitting. I have my doubts it was a barn--more like a collector's garage. Maybe they had plans ("gonna use as my tow vehicle") that simply fell through--this seems hardly the sort of thing a collector would buy then sit on while waiting for it to appreciate.

Not sure what MSRP was, NADA says $5,505 w/o options (I see automatic trans and dual fuel tanks, not sure what else it has). That is nearly $18k in today's money.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
There's surprisingly little information about this truck. Says C/K20. So which is it? C20 or K20?

And "V8" is the only engine description. Not too helpful.

K20-it's a 4x4. (C was 2WD.)

Though a K20, it is, for all practical purposes, a heavy-half. (GVWR 6800.)
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
No A/C, no cruise - no dice
frown.gif

And $45K is prolly $15K too much ...

It has factory A/C-the compressor is clearly visible.
Originally Posted by Garak
I saw a mint square burb on the road today. They were quality trucks and you still see them occasionally almost 30 years after the last were made, even in Canada.

There certainly are some, but exceedingly rare. My dad bought a brand new GMC 3/4 ton in 1974. It was rusting seriously within four years. My dad had one of the first models of real 6.2 diesels (non-conversion). The rust wasn't the issue by then, but that poor paint you mentioned. Finding one of those in good shape would be awesome, but not at the price they'd command.

Bullwinkle is correct on his assessment. Try driving one for a long time if you're taller than 5'8" and don't have legs like Cotton Hill. I'm not tall by any stretch of the imagination, but any GM trucks of that era in a regular cab, I had to have the seat all the way back and it wasn't a nice fit. I'd hate to see someone 6" taller try it. For a short period of time, I drove a manual transmission GM 3/4 ton with a hoist, regular cab, a former yard truck, with gears to match, maybe a 1985, as a daily driver. That was barely more advanced than the 1951 model we had as a grain truck on the farm. The heater was marginally better, it had seatbelts, and the radio worked. Big whoop.
wink.gif

My 6'2" boss drove two (74 292/manual and 87 454/automatic) as wreckers for years...the 87 has 370,000+ miles. He also owned a Suburban (factory 4-speed!) for 20+ years.

No, it's a C20. No hubs visible and no transfer case shifter. Also...the VIN indicates C, like I mentioned above.

Also, no, it does not have A/C. There is no compressor visible (the alternator is, though). Also note there are no vents in the dash.

I've had a square since around 89. They may as well put $300,000,000 on that truck. Ain't no way anyone is paying that.

No, it's a C20. No hubs visible and no transfer case shifter. Also...the VIN indicates C, like I mentioned above.

Also, no, it does not have A/C. There is no compressor visible (the alternator is, though). Also note there are no vents in the dash.

Yeah, no idea where he got the K from. No A/C, no power windows/locks. That's a plain Silverado right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back