1978 Ford thunderbird 400 6.6L 12 quarts of make up in 3k miles!

6.6 would be a 400"
Sorry. Misread on my tiny phone what you had posted earlier. I bought a new Ford Elite in ‘76 with a 460. Could not believe how smogged down it was but a beautiful car also.

Curiosity.

It’s in decent shape looking for a 460 so not worth rebuilding this one
The problem is the new oil (topoff) masks any contamination or wear problems so I think, while interesting, testing results are not needed.

Most likely you have worn rings and worn valve stem seals and possibly some stuck rings.

Since you are experimenting you might try this product for a 1500 mile run:

It is basically a 20 Grade cleaner so if the engine requires say a 5W30, use a 5W40 or a 15W40 for about 1500 miles.

There are no guarantees but it is worth a try in the sense it may loosen some ring carbon and condition some seals.

No aftemarket product will replenish metals or restore seal material.

Last edited:
I’d rather just use a fully formulated oil at that thickness without diluting it with Lucas
Indeed but the Lucas is a quick and dirty way of finding if thicker oil stops the consumption and wont hurt anything . Though an oil change with 15W-40 or 20W-50 isn't quick but then not that expensive

You owners manual probably contains all sorts of choices up to 15w40. That’s what I would put in. If you are planning on running it this winter in Buffalo, put in 5w40. Might help, might not. Here is some stuff on the 460. You probably want a pre-88 Ford E series Van or F series truck as a donor.

0D10276F-38CB-4B92-8A97-ED91F65435E2.png

Last edited:
Well I just purchased the next few oci worth of oil. Gtx high mileage 20w50 until it gets cold, and Mobil 1 FS X2 5w-50 for the winter

Back