‘19 cx5 skyactive 2.5L with cylinder deactivation - ideal oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any SN/SN+ rated 0w20 synthetic will be fine.

If you want the peace of mind from using a high moly oil, I'd recommend Toyota oil over Mazda/Idemitsu, simply because the Toyota oil is quite a bit cheaper while being very similar in terms of specs.

Really though, about anything will be fine.

Originally Posted by bigdawg74
Originally Posted by PimTac

I am running the Havoline Pro DS by Chevron. At $19.97 for a 6 quart box it's a great deal and a great oil. I've also used Valvoline. My oci is every 5000 miles.

PimTac, how does your '17 like that Havoline? I'm using M1 AFE 0w-20 in my '16, but going with annual OCI at about 7300 miles.

It runs very smooth. Of course that is just my personal observation.

Originally Posted by gabriel9766
I have a 2018 Mazda6 touring non turbo 2.5L. How can i tell if i have cylinder deactivation?

My understanding is that the 2018 model year was the start of cylinder deactivation so you should have it.

I have a 2018 Mazda6 touring non turbo 2.5L. How can i tell if i have cylinder deactivation?

My understanding is that the 2018 model year was the start of cylinder deactivation so you should have it.

It seems not all 2018 models have it. I called the service manager about my 2018 Mazda3 2.5L Hatchback. Gave them the VIN and they said it was not enabled. It seems 2018 CX5's have it. Don't know if Mazda6's have it.

Ray

Originally Posted by RayCJ

It seems not all 2018 models have it. I called the service manager about my 2018 Mazda3 2.5L Hatchback. Gave them the VIN and they said it was not enabled. It seems 2018 CX5's have it. Don't know if Mazda6's have it.

Ray

Interesting. The engines are all made on the same line.

Perhaps early vehicles of that model year didn't get the cd versions as Mazda used up those engines? They do things sometimes in a continuous quality kind of way.

Interesting fact, all their engines come off the same assembly line. Workers might be assembling a 2.0 then a diesel then a 2.5. They do the same with vehicles as well. One line assembles multiple models. I suppose with common platforms this is possible.

The more I dig, it appears the 2018 Mazda3 did not get the CD option. Here are 3 separate write-ups, 2 of them from Mazda press releases.

Ray

NORTH AMERICAN MAZDA MODELS EQUIPPED WITH CYLINDER DEACTIVATION
This exciting new technology will be found inside the latest SKYACTIV ®-G 2.5-liter engine, which is capable of producing 187 horsepower and 186 lb-ft of torque. This engine is available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 and the 2018 Mazda6. Being the innovators that they are, Mazda is the only automaker to offer up cylinder-deactivation technology on a four-cylinder engine in North America.

Usually, "running on all cylinders" is considered a good thing but not all the time. Sometimes, that means burning fuel when you don't need to, which is why Mazda's engineers went back to the drawing board to introduce a new cylinder-deactivation technology for 2018 that can cut down on fuel-consumption in certain operating conditions. The new cylinder-deactivation system can be found in the latest SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter engine that delivers 187 horsepower and 186 lb-ft of torque.
Available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 and 2018 Mazda6, Mazda is the only automaker to offer cylinder-deactivation technology on a four-cylinder engine in North America.

The Mazda3 will give you access to one engine option. This is a 2.5L I4 gasoline engine that will give you access to 185 horsepower. As a larger vehicle, the Mazda6 will give you access to a larger engine. New for the 2018 model year, the Mazda6 now offers both the 2.5L I4 engine that the Mazda3 comes equipped with and additionally offers a turbocharged engine option. This 2.5T I4 gasoline engine will give you access to 250 horsepower. Another difference between the two models is the addition of cylinder-deactivation technology to the Mazda6 lineup.

anybody knows which countrys has13.1 compression ratio and which is 14.1 in thos engins?
sorry for the off topic question.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Mazda3 is light and really didn't need cylinder deactivation to get excellent gas mileage.

Agreed. I like the new 3 and hope that it can be disabled somehow soon.

Pretty sure US gets the slightly lower comp engine bc of our gas quality. Would love to deactivate CD if at all it was an option...doesn't appear to be at this point tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back