17,000-mile results are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would change it. What exactly is to be gained in the way of additional Mobile 1 extended drain knowledge? That it can go 17K but not 18K ?? I also have run it out to 30,000 miles and posted the results.
Move on to a new oil,(Amsoil) How about running just 100-200 miles draining it out. And then fill it up and start the testing again.

Guys, his plan has always been to switch to Amsoil, run it for just 1000 or 2000 miles, then drain it (saving this good oil in a clean container for another vehicle) and put in fresh Amsoil, and only then will he begin the second test. So that will get rid of 99% of the Mobil 1 in there, and allow a clean slate. I also believe he will put a new air filter on at this point too.

Wow, this is a good discussion.

For those who want to keep going: the clincher for me is that we're at our second filter change anyway. So I add a new filter and 1.5 quarts of oil at 18k, and then the one-year limit rolls around before we even get to 20k probably, and what have we learned? I submit we would learn nothing from this.

Terry has been a guiding voice since the first filter change, and urged me onward even as I had cold feet. If he, too, favors ending it now, then I am inclined to listen.

Regarding the procedure for the next oil, Patman mostly had it right. I am going to fill with the same Amsoil ASL as I'll be using in the next test, and will probably run it for 2,000 miles -- both a) because I need a break, and b) because it means we'll start off at a nice even 30k on the odometer. I'll put on a new filter for the flush and another new filter for the next test. I'll also replace the air filter with the next test. I'm thinking about swapping the spark plugs too, but we'll see what kind of time I have.

Rick, I hope one of the advantages of going to 18k is that it will make people feel comfortable about going to 10k. It shows that 10k isn't really extreme, it's pretty much middle-of-the-road. Heck, I made it 12k on my first filter.

Keep it coming. This is good stuff.
smile.gif

Cheers, 3MP

If you do swap spark plugs, do it during the buffer run, as there is a good chance of getting some antiseize into the oil, or some dirt too.

Spark plug changes in the LS1 look scarier than they really are. My first plug change took me almost 3 hours when I had my LS1, but with practice I got it down to 45min eventually. I was able to do #8 from the top, so that helps. It's definitely easier doing an LS1 plug change than an LT1 plug change (which takes many people 8 hours to do!)

I'd also suggest changing out the air filter a few hundred miles before starting your new test to allow for it to settle in.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Not show off, really. I predict it will be much of the same. Viscosity thickening, wear about the same...yeah and 3MP will grenade his car and everyone will bag Amsoil
shocked.gif

I predict his wear will be lower overall, most noticeably I believe the lead levels will be less. I'm going out on a limb and am going to say that the lead levels with Amsoil will be half the levels shown here with Mobil 1.

Like I've been telling people for a while now on the LS1 message boards, these engines like a slightly thicker oil that is close to the 30/40wt boundary.

quote:

Like I've been telling people for a while now on the LS1 message boards, these engines like a slightly thicker oil that is close to the 30/40wt boundary.

Patman, I agree with you but do you base your idea that LS1's need a thicker oil just by Vettnuts Amsoil UOA? I just don't remember to many other UOA's with LS1's plus we don't know how hard he drives. For all we know, he could drive it like an old woman.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Patman, I agree with you but do you base your idea that LS1's need a thicker oil just by Vettnuts Amsoil UOA? I just don't remember to many other UOA's with LS1's plus we don't know how hard he drives. For all we know, he could drive it like an old woman.
grin.gif

No, his isn't the only one I'm basing it on. I am also basing it on the one on here using 10w40 GTX, as well as (believe it or not) a couple of Royal Purple racing 41 UOAs (which is equivalent to a 10w40 oil). I know I've seen a couple more Amsoil 5w30 or 10w30 reports out there also in the LS1.

Looks like you have already replaced all the oil at least once. I count 6.5 quarts so far and 6 qts in 16k, so I guess it is good for 8k no problem without any makeup.

I would like to see the Amsoil run with 12.5k Amsoil filter changes and the 1st test at 12.5k with the filter change. Add makeup oil during the test if it drops 1/2 qt.

After the 12.5k mark then test only every 3k unless it shows problems with the oil which indicate shorter intervals.

I personally prefer to see oxy/nitr numbers so you can watch the numbers rise during the test.

by Turbochem,
quote:

I believe the flush, in this case, is to make sure all of the Mobil 1 is out before the Amsoil is put in. The whole point is to make sure the performance is based on the new oil only without the old oil playing any part.

LOL.....does an engine flush fix "damage??"

Thanks for the remark Sir....but I wasn't thinking of physical damage; I was thinking more of sludge build up. BTW, I know a flush does not fix mechanical problems

by Wulimaster
quote:

Looks like you have already replaced all the oil at least once. I count 6.5 quarts so far and 6 qts in 16k, so I guess it is good for 8k no problem without any makeup.

This is why I believe this test is a little misleading and incorrectly done. As Wulimaster mentioned, the engine already saw more than one oil change. Also, does this engine burn oil? How much? This would be more factors altering the results.
3MP, what oil where you running before this test? If different, did you do a flush?

I believe a test like this should be done on a vehicle that does not use any oil and should be analyzed at no less than 5k miles and then 7-8k and finally at 10k.
I am not condenming this oil study at all....I just think it needs to be perfected.
Rick

[ September 24, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

quote:

3MP, what oil where you running before this test? If different, did you do a flush?

He ran Mobil 1 5w30 prior to this so no flush was needed. His engine was most likely one to get Mobil 1 from the factory too, as most 2002 f-body LS1s got Mobil 1 as factory fill, even though it wasn't widely publizised.

quote:

You assume that the oldest oil leaves the engine first. This is not true. Some of the oil in the engine is 18k old. Some is 15k old. Some 13k old. etc. etc.

In the coming weeks I'm going to prepare a chart that estimates the oil's age adjusted for make-up oil. Actually, there's going to be a LOT of analysis posted to the site once the 18k sample is in. As far as I'm concerned, that's when things will really get interesting.

quote:

Also, does this engine burn oil? How much? This would be more factors altering the results.

The LS1 has consumed about 2 quarts of oil over 18k. I'll have an exact number later.

The car has had 5w30 Mobil 1 since day 1.

Patience, patience. Many questions will be answered once the analysis of the results goes online.

Cheers, 3MP

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
I was hoping to see this oil gradually age. ----////-----

No Oil if run out to the breaking point of any component will gradually age.

I think you missed my point. I was expecting and hoping this oil was going to get a bit more aged every sample starting at the 2000 mile point. This way we would be able to predict what the naxt sample would look like. Instead we have seen this oil find an occational, small foutain of youth. With the way the TBN was dropping initially, I expected this oil to die around 10k miles. instead, it leveled out, and even managed to somewhat better itself. This oil has done alot of unpredictable things. It is almost impossible to predict any of the samples by way of any pattern. The least engine wear was at the 15k & 16k sample. I imagine most people would thought it would be in the first 5000 miles.

Won't the last oil tested in this study benefit from the engine being fully broken in? I would think the wear would start to drop now regardless of oil.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Won't the last oil tested in this study benefit from the engine being fully broken in? I would think the wear would start to drop now regardless of oil.
dunno.gif

IMHO, the majority of the wear metals from an engine breaking in would show in the first 5000 miles or less. At 10,000 miles it should've been pretty well broken in, even with synthetic oil (which shouldn't make a difference).

Wow, great test!

Too bad you need to add new oil so often thou because it kinda gives it new life.

Can't wait for further tests and results
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back