16' Lacrosse GM 3.6 VVT DI Oil thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TX_1821
Any thoughts, concerns, comments, suggestions, ideas, random info is greatly appreciated
11.gif

Do you know why the air intake tube is missing from the airbox?

edit: Never mind looks to be oem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
... I am guessing our 2006 model 3.8l has the older multi port injection , into the intake runner . ...
Is that GM's less fussy, much older-design V6, complete with push-rods?

I've used PP 10/30 due to low Noack. Traverse would use 3/4 at of oil in a 5k OCI. Doing 5k for now to get the engine good and. Done in then Extend once I get a UOA. Current fill is M1 0w40 and man does the engine run smooth and I haven't lost any mpg. Keep in mind I'm in Houston where we don't know what winters are, lol. I'm 3k in the OCI and it's still at the full mark. On the 2 PP runs it had already dropped from full at 3k.

I'm about to run the Schaeffers 9000 to see how I like it then do a UOA. I will say on each OC the oil looks nasty at just 5k. Also been using a Wix filter and 70% highway.

Run a synthetic and I've never had a warranty issue and I've never run the "recommended" oil.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... I am guessing our 2006 model 3.8l has the older multi port injection , into the intake runner . ...

Do not know about less fussy ? I read it was made for many years in several variations .

Yes , almost certain it is a push rod engine .

I think GM at one point or another used it in all the car divisions , except Cadillac . Evidently built in large numbers .

Did not know a thing about the 3.8l until we bought the car . Then I started to do some research .

Thanks , :)

Originally Posted By: CR94

Do not know about less fussy ? I read it was made for many years in several variations .

Your 3.8 v6 is iron block, iron heads, pushrod, multiport fuel injection (not DI), roller rockers, roller lifters, 2 valves per cylinder, 90 degrees, used for many years and evolved. Light years different than the GM 3.6L used today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

That pretty much is the info I have come up with .

I am OK with an iron push rod engine .

Not looking for neck snapping performance . Seems to be a good , smooth engine with satisfactory / adequate performance . Hoping for longevity and some degree of economy .

Thanks , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back