'16-'17 VW Golf SportWagen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard nothing but good things about them, someone on here in the "Vehicles" section is doing a long term review.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I've heard nothing but good things about them, someone on here in the "Vehicles" section is doing a long term review.

Would that be user Surfstar, FLORIDA or somebody else?

Thank you

You know i'm going to chime in! Its a great vehicle in every respect. It offers so much for so little. The 5 speed is a bit long in gearing but the mileage is awesome. Once in a while i wish i had the Aisin auto just for laziness but 95% of the time i'm happy with the stick. It is shifting smoother now with some more miles, but not Honda quality. Mexico? Who cares, the engineering and specifications are all German, Puebla Mexico is a giant city that just serves VW. I haven't found any issues at least and it doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather it have that USA made 1 VIN but i wouldn't expect the quality to be different.

There are not a lot of the wagons out there so its somewhat unique at least for the price range.

I'm doing M1 0W40 oil every 5k miles, oil and filter on the 10k mark. I've had zero oil consumption with mine. How well its ran this winter (1st winter parked outside) has really impressed me. Flawless cold starts, fast to warm up, insane gas mileage for winter. FWD on snow tires is plenty of traction and ground clearance although it would be fun to have the AWD model. Summer time leaves me wanting a bit more A/C or possibly window tinting. The A/C is sized for fuel economy no doubt.

Originally Posted By: dareo
You know i'm going to chime in! Its a great vehicle in every respect. It offers so much for so little. The 5 speed is a bit long in gearing but the mileage is awesome. Once in a while i wish i had the Aisin auto just for laziness but 95% of the time i'm happy with the stick. It is shifting smoother now with some more miles, but not Honda quality. Mexico? Who cares, the engineering and specifications are all German, Puebla Mexico is a giant city that just serves VW. I haven't found any issues at least and it doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather it have that USA made 1 VIN but i wouldn't expect the quality to be different.

There are not a lot of the wagons out there so its somewhat unique at least for the price range.

I'm doing M1 0W40 oil every 5k miles, oil and filter on the 10k mark. I've had zero oil consumption with mine. How well its ran this winter (1st winter parked outside) has really impressed me. Flawless cold starts, fast to warm up, insane gas mileage for winter. FWD on snow tires is plenty of traction and ground clearance although it would be fun to have the AWD model. Summer time leaves me wanting a bit more A/C or possibly window tinting. The A/C is sized for fuel economy no doubt.

How many miles on your silver beauty?
Does the factory tint helps anything?
Back passengers comfort?

P.S. I tested one last week. It was giving heat, from cold start in less then 1/4 mile in maybe 2 minutes....

I'm at 16k miles in like 28 months. I split miles with 4 vehicles so i'm not wracking this car up like many do. Typical use is a 12 mile mostly city trip or a 40+ mile highway run hauling one way. I don't often use this car for passengers but it can fit a giant car seat, or 4 adults. The extra room of our Accord designates it as the primary family and kid hauler. I run it like a 2 seater with the rear seat folded down and have hauled significant loads. Factory tint is not something i have. i do have some tint film that i need to install but, lazy.

dareo,

I saw a video recently that Audi made a major investment in Mexico.

Germans demand the same quality as if were built in Germany.

as a kid i grew up in “golden age” ford station wagons from 1950s to 70s my last two cars before the passat were a 2010 toyota rav4 (awful) and a 2011 mb glk (nice but high tco). i looked at a jetta sportwagon but found more useable room and smoother highway cruising in the passat. cpo passats are very good deals and mine has been reliable through 65k miles with regular dealer service.

I had a 2012 Sportwagen for about 20K miles and loved it. Wanted to keep it forever but had to sell it to get into something bigger when our 3rd kid was born. Mine had the 2.5 ( awesome engine) and was the 5 speed so not the drive train you are looking at. Seemed well built, sold feel and nice ride.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Mexican built VW's, IMO. My 2008 Jetta was built there as was my current gen GTI. Fit and finish on both are excellent.

I prevent carbon by running the snot out of my cars, honestly. Not everyday mind you, but if I have a clear path up the mountain, I'll drop several gears and let it rip! I'll take every chance I can to run it out, sometimes I'll cruise in 4th gear on the state highway just to build some oil temp.

I've used Castrol Edge 0w40 in both VW's as long as I can remember. I try and stick with 5K changes.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
I had a 2012 Sportwagen for about 20K miles and loved it. Wanted to keep it forever but had to sell it to get into something bigger when our 3rd kid was born. Mine had the 2.5 ( awesome engine) and was the 5 speed so not the drive train you are looking at. Seemed well built, sold feel and nice ride.

Friend has 09 2.5L JSW in manual and its pretty nice. Its heavier, thirstier, not quite as good of handling, but its a solid car. He got it for dirt cheap too. The new GSW is a solid improvement in nearly every regard; but my friend paid 1/4 the price! The torque of the 2.5 is nice and linear. Worth considering the older 2.5 model if it is cheap enough.

My wife really likes this car. Any chance it can seat 3 daughters 4, 10 , 12 across as 2nd car for the next 6 years or too cramped?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My wife really likes this car. Any chance it can seat 3 daughters 4, 10 , 12 across as 2nd car for the next 6 years or too cramped?

As much as I'd like to recommend a Sport Wagen, it's going to be a no, too cramped. My GTI has the same room in the back (width wise) and with my 3 nieces aged 6, 8, and 14 it isn't as roomy as really needed. Now this is with 2 booster seats. I imagine as they all age it gets more cramped.

You want a wider sedan/suv/van for that. You could probably fit everyone in there if you had to once in a while but don't plan on regular transit of more than 2 car seats or 4 adults. Its only a 71" wide car so 3 across would be tough.

Originally Posted By: dareo

You want a wider sedan/suv/van for that. You could probably fit everyone in there if you had to once in a while but don't plan on regular transit of more than 2 car seats or 4 adults. Its only a 71" wide car so 3 across would be tough.

4,10,12 may mean 4 and carseat in the middle and 10 ,12 on the sides.

I would go to a dealer for a size check.

Mine (5,8) they fitted with the middle console down, and room to spare. But they are on the thin-er side.

We tried the carseat in the middle and older kids who were 8 and 9 at the time on the sides. It worked out ok on short trips. Longer trips where they brought stuff it was a tad cramped. That's what drove us to upgrade to something with a 3rd row and eventually a minivan. 3 older kids would be tight but doable.

I have to say, once you get into a minivan with kids, you never go back. I had to talk my wife into it but now she wouldn't have it any other way. So much space, easy ingress and egress. They are good in the snow too with snow tires. Just get over the stigma.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back