15w40 Oil Comparision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skunky

Thanks for the e-mail. I guess my concern is there are many good 15w40 oil choices. I really like the MC but it is so hard to find in the 1 gallon jugs in my area. Some of the dealers do not carry the 1 gallon jugs.Buying 15 quart bottles is not good either. My next idea is to try to see if the dealer will fill my gallon jugs with the MC 15w40 bulk? If not I make have to choose another oil? I'm the type of person who tries to stay with one brand of oil if possible, but I guess changing brands will not cause any issues?

Ruby

Ruby, changing brands is usually not an issue. In a very few cases, you'll get increased consumption for an oil change interval. All the oils mentioned above are good--pick the brand that is most convenient for you. If you want to run the oil for the maximum safe mileage, there is a smaller number of oils you can choose from.

Brian,
Viscosity at 40°C (102°F) depends on the base stock. Pour point depends on the base stock and the addition of pour point depressants. They are not directly comparable.

Ken

Yeah, i realized later I did not think of pour point deps.

Look up my uoa and see how this stuff did in my car.

Ruby;try Schaeffers 15w-40 7000 and stay with it ,will treat your engine and your piece of mind well,its one of the best 15w-40 on the market and a good price,check site sponsor for a case or two,BL

brian fix

Thanks for the tip.

Ruby
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Hammer:

quote:

Originally posted by Ruby:
In my 2002 Ford F350 Power Stroke 7.3 diesel I am using the MC15w40 without any complaints. The problem is, the MC is hard to find in the gallon jugs which makes the 15 quart oil change easier. I know many like the Rotella 15w40, Delo 15w40 and Delvac 15w40. In case I had to pick one of the last three for future oil change choices, which oil should I go with? Opinions from Power Stroke owners welcome. I recently read on the Shell Rotella website International(who made my 7.3) recommends Rotella 15w40.

Thanks
Ruby

Ruby....how many times are you gonna ask this question?

Also, I find it highly unlikely that International specifically recomends the use of Shell Rotella. Mostly because of a bulletin they put out that basically says that if you must uses Rotella, you need to add the defoaming additive for it to perform properly in a PSD. In fact, chevron Delo400 is part of Internationals stock supply that you find on dealers shelves. For a IH dealer to stock Rotella or even Mobil Delvac, the dealer has to source it from a local oil supplier. Just remember, if you go to the Rotella forums, it should be obvious the bias slant you will recieve.

Hammer

Actually Hammer all Class 5 and above International Trucks manufactured in North America come factory filled with Shell motor oils and coolants. They even have a sticker on the firewall saying use these Shell products or a suitable replacement.

International was not using Shell when the T444E was first in production, IIRC. They may be using that now; however I think most major brands have resolved their foaming issues at this point in time. What International fills their products with is not necessarily what Navistar uses. When a Navistar engine is put into any size Ford in the US it is factory filled with Motorcraft fluids (CP76 blends that oil I think).
cheers.gif

Ford and International have partnered to form what is called Blue Diamond dealerships. They have also partnered with Shell for a motor oil offering for these dealerships. I would agree that all light duty diesels are probably filled with Motorcraft but anything larger than that weather its Navistar or International has Shell in it. I know this for a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back