'15 Forester Premium 6-manual extended drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forester vs CRV vs Mazda are just what flavor of great ice cream you like....

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
A few things, it comes with horrible tires. Just upgrading the tires will fix the steering as much as electric assist steering can be fixed... as well as fixing traction and handling as much as can be with almost 9" of ground clearance.

I have blizzak ws-80's for the bad winter months and its a total "tank".

I cant overstate how bad the stock tire are in relation to snow traction, and floatyness(get blown off road in windstorm)

They are ok in the dry and below average in wet, quiet, good mpg.. not energy saver good though.
Our tires are fine if a bit "hard". We drove three machines to get one with nice engine and true steering. Our forester handles far better than our past two though ride is hard and jouncy.

Are you talking about the Yoko Geo 225-60R17 series? I run 35psig front 34 rear. Wife averages over 32MPG in ambient above freezing temps.

well yoko geo would be about 8 different tires.. But yes the geolandar g91f specifically sucks. Not quite as awful as the geolandar g95a but close. They are both OEM fitment 1 size only OEM tires.

There are 30mph crosswinds on I77 near me quite often I would get blown 2-3 ft sideways and it took quite abit of steering to correct.

With the new tires its more about 1ft sideways and half the steering correction.

I've gotten 36mpg before but that was on 55mph secondary roads.. The aerodynamics of the forester make it drop MPG rapidly as you go faster.

23mpg@80mph can be common esp with a decent sidewind.

I also felt the stock tires were horrible in any kind of wet panic braking.. example when someone pulls out in front of you and immediately stops to make a left turn on a 45mph road. The ride is abit more "jouncy" than the 2011 but also quieter.

The best features of the 2015 over the 2011.

6mt/clutch feel better .. much better than the 5mt/clutch

Radio sounds much better.. the 2011 sounded like an AM station on FM.

Quieter cabin although not nearly as quiet or isolated as the 2013 outback.

Electric power steering actually works decent and gain some acceleration and mpg.. although I preferred the feel of the 2011 hydraulic power steering.

Air conditioning. The 2011 had really cold AC but it would easily suck down 3mpg and all your acceleration at low rpm. The 2015 has a much smaller AC system that is more efficient. I prefer the 2015 AC but if I lived in phoenix it might be underperforming.
I agree onb those points. I most prefer the lower beltline,nice greenhouse, nice 6mt selector, 1 muffler, Wonderfull AL alloy hood with gas struts a pleasure to raise without fumbling for a prop rod! A base 6mty forester at ~21,900 out the door is a bargain content wise and competence wise amounghst new vehicles.

A few things, it comes with horrible tires. Just upgrading the tires will fix the steering as much as electric assist steering can be fixed... as well as fixing traction and handling as much as can be with almost 9" of ground clearance.

I have blizzak ws-80's for the bad winter months and its a total "tank".

I cant overstate how bad the stock tire are in relation to snow traction, and floatyness(get blown off road in windstorm)

They are ok in the dry and below average in wet, quiet, good mpg.. not energy saver good though.

Good information that I will pass on to her when it is time to replace the stock tires.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Thanks for the review!

Also, nice to see a lady know how and want to drive a manual!! Sounds like a keeper.

Got to like a girl that knows how to work a stick.
wink.gif

I forgot to add that oil changes are a breeze on this vehicle. I've done two so far using ramps, but ground clearance is such that I could get by without. The oil filter sits on the top right of the engine bay, easy spin-on spin-off. If I add a Fumoto valve it will be even easier to do.

Also of note: the engine has consumed oil during the first two oci, about a quart per, but we are waiting to see if this continues post break-in. The car has around 11k on it currently with Mobil 0w-20 EP in the sump which I'll take out 7500mi.

It will use that qt or more. Ive had eight(?) Subarus and three foresters: a 2009, an '11 and the '15.
You can top off with 30 grade or sub a qt or two of xw-30 at your OCI.

Last edited:
A few things, it comes with horrible tires. Just upgrading the tires will fix the steering as much as electric assist steering can be fixed... as well as fixing traction and handling as much as can be with almost 9" of ground clearance..

Yep, I had the same experience with the stock Bridgestone Turanza EL400s on my 2012 Subaru Legacy. The were scary in the rain and downright dangerous in the winter.

My 2014 XV Crosstrek on the other hand, the stock Yokos have been awesome in all conditions.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Also of note: the engine has consumed oil during the first two oci, about a quart per, but we are waiting to see if this continues post break-in. The car has around 11k on it currently with Mobil 0w-20 EP in the sump which I'll take out 7500mi.

Interesting. I've seen about half a dozen manual 2015 Forester owners complain about oil consumption online, but only one CVT. Ours (2015 CVT) hasn't burned any noticeable amount in 8,000km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back