120,000 ft. SkyDive / RedBull sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been tracking this event & wanted to share w/you aviation guys.

Im a former skydiver & appreciate those that do, especially in the extreme. The previous record holder is a jump made by USAF Captain Joe Kittenger at 102,800ft in 1960

It will be played on-line in less than 3 days. They (Red Bull) hope that Felix Baumgartner will achieve a terminal velocity of 700mph breaking the sound barrier at that altitude

RedBull Skydive

red-bull-stratos-balloon-03.jpg

red-bull-stratos-lead.jpg

stratos.jpg

This is awesome. As a country we used to do stunts like this all the time but now are mostly wussed out.

When Joe Kittinger did his jumps, he was testing parachutes for the Air Force to be used in high-Mach aircraft ejections. He wasn't performing publicity stunts.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
When Joe Kittinger did his jumps, he was testing parachutes for the Air Force to be used in high-Mach aircraft ejections. He wasn't performing publicity stunts.

Is that the one where the guy's glove tore and his fingers almost froze?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Joe did it for the love of country & not a big chunk of RedBull bucks LOL

Even at that, its still a very dangerous, high performance skydive & I respect that a whole bunch

Joe

EDIT: Made me think that this stunt is also another affirmation that the higher altitudes / space are being explored by private industry (i.e. **** Rutan)

Last edited:
^^^Mission has been scrubbed for today

This jump is so highly orchestrated that I feel he will make it for sure.

The mission is delayed until this Sunday the 14th, 6am MDT

So yes, in the future, someone (Felix Baumgartner) will make the most extreme jump in history, breaking the speed of sound

BTW, In July of this year, Felix performed a successful test jump at 96,640ft

Originally Posted By: zedrone
Only three things fall from the sky rain, birdshit,and skydivers.

Airplanes, leaves in the fall, meterorites...

He's climbing through the left exit region of a really strong jet streak subsequent to the upper level low pressure system that kicked off all the severe thunderstorms in Texas and Oklahoma yesterday. He's gonna end up in southwest Texas or southeast NM!

What a coincidence: "Capt. Charles E. Yeager (next to the Air Force's Bell-built X-1 supersonic research aircraft) became the first man to fly faster than the speed of sound October 14, 1947. Air Force FTC History Office"

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
What a coincidence: "Capt. Charles E. Yeager (next to the Air Force's Bell-built X-1 supersonic research aircraft) became the first man to fly faster than the speed of sound October 14, 1947. Air Force FTC History Office"

Interesting coincidence. About 12 years ago I met Chuck Yeager at the SLC Airport (Took a pic w/him=)

Great job Team Stratos. Still waiting for the press conference & subsequent replays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back