11hp Briggs Intel valve cover gasket

Hey guys,

Long story short is that I inherited older DR field mower with 11 HP Briggs and Stratton motor. It is running and cutting good now.
Recently I've noticed that it's a little wet under the valve cover. I was wondering if I could use silicon gasket on that or should I just order an actual gasket.
I would not use silicon gasket in my car, but since it's not used every day and also not under harsh conditions. Would good silicon gasket work a while or I'll have to re-do in a year.
Thank you.

Yes, with proper surface prep and cleaning/degreasing, RTV will work very well.

On a side note, lots of OEs use RTV on car, truck and heavy equipment engines everyday - when used in the appropriate locations, there's nothing at all wrong with it

I have a Kohler in my JD LT150 that I had to replace the head gasket on last spring. I tried sealing my valve cover gasket with RTV. it wouldn't take (tried twice) so I bought some cork and made a gasket for it. RTV should work, but I have had a couple instances like this where it just doesn't seal.

Just my $0.02

Yep, I'd shoot for a gasket and a new valve cover if the OE is beat up as they can be on field mowers. Also make sure it's not the head gasket weeping oil. It could be that as well on an OHV briggs.

Yep, I'd shoot for a gasket and a new valve cover if the OE is beat up as they can be on field mowers. Also make sure it's not the head gasket weeping oil. It could be that as well on an OHV briggs.
Thank you. I'll double check. Valve cover is in great shape. I think my fiend brush mower was never used as a brush mower, it has grass mower attachment and that what it did most of its life.

Reactions: JTK
That's the thing. Last time I tried looking for it I couldn't find any number. I guess I can see if I can see engine serial number and figure that out.
They're usually stamped into the flywheel cover on top where the spark plug wire goes. Sometimes on the side of the flywheel cover.

That's the thing. Last time I tried looking for it I couldn't find any number. I guess I can see if I can see engine serial number and figure that out.
Also check on the muffler. A lot of the Intek engines I’ve seen have the serial number stamped there.

L8R,
Matt

Hey guys,

Long story short is that I inherited older DR field mower with 11 HP Briggs and Stratton motor. It is running and cutting good now.
Recently I've noticed that it's a little wet under the valve cover. I was wondering if I could use silicon gasket on that or should I just order an actual gasket.
I would not use silicon gasket in my car, but since it's not used every day and also not under harsh conditions. Would good silicon gasket work a while or I'll have to re-do in a year.
Thank you.
Using silicone sealant there as a gasket, you will be lucky to get close to a year out of it. Why not just get a gasket and do it right? I have made those valve cover gaskets before using gasket paper for a flat head engine.

Last edited:
Using silicone sealant there as a gasket, you will be lucky to get close to a year out of it. Why not just get a gasket and do it right? I have made those valve cover gaskets before using gasket paper for a flat head engine.
Just checking for options. I can go find the serial/model numbers and order a gasket online and get it in 4-5 days or I can use RTV i have in my toolbox and have it done with weekend.

Just checking for options. I can go find the serial/model numbers and order a gasket online and get it in 4-5 days or I can use RTV i have in my toolbox and have it done with weekend.
It's worth waiting to do it once and right. If silicone sealant was better, wouldn't you think it would have been used from the factory? It's certainly cheaper.

Late model Briggs uses stickers. Look for a sticker on the top plastic cover or numbers lasered onto the side of the block.

Back