115k cabin in Arizona federal forest

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Can't view the pictures clearly right now, but seems like a rare buying opportunity.

It's a small one but would be fun to own and use.
I wonder if you could ride off road motorcycles and atv's etc on the land.
I would worry about theft and vandalism in a remote location.
I could easily picture myself there with friends and family and a couple of racks of bbq ribs on the smoker.

National Forest Lease's are good for 20 years. You typically get to renew unless they have alternate public use for the property. It would be something you would need to look into carefully.

Reminds me of all the cabins I read about in books I’ve been reading lately. Remote, privacy, luxurious, tec.

but the body count gets pretty deep in those books, so I think I’ll pass.

My father in law had something similar years ago. Vandalism was a huge issue. He resorted to leaving the door open - with a sign - "door is open". People still came and broke stuff. This was 25 years ago, before CCTV, etc in remote areas was feasible - so maybe things have changed.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
That’s pretty cool but there are way too many other cabins nearby to be buying something that far from civilization. I’d want to be a mile from the nearest neighbor, at minimum.

The upside of being close to other people could be reduced vandalism and crime.

I’d like to know the terms of the lease.

Edit- found a pretty good summary of the program. No permanent use, not allowed to rent it out, annual fees on top of taxes.

• Helpful
Great 'bugout' hideaway. Probably far enough from the coming urban zombie apocalypse.

zombie.jpg

Can't view the pictures clearly right now, but seems like a rare buying opportunity.

Cute, like the creek in the back yard. Always wanted one, never had one *LOL*
Anyway, living on the East Coast most my life I always look up flood maps. No concern where I am now but as you know I looked in Florida and ultimately settled on an area of the NC coast. Just high enough to not need flood insurance but in this case not ocean flood but a body of fresh water not too far away.
Anyway, in looking up the property you mentioned, not knowing anything about anywhere except the east coast I ran into this wording. I wouldnt personally be concerned just found it interesting. The area has not been flood rated and its labeled a flood zone I never heard of which is "Flood Zone D"
Which simply means nothing has been determined.
"What is Zone D?
FEMA’s flood maps, known as Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs), identify areas of flood hazard, which are labeled on the flood map as zones starting with the letters A and V for high-hazard areas, known as Special Flood Hazard Areas or SFHAs, and Zone X for moderate- or low-hazard flood-risk areas. In some cases, there are areas with a potentially moderate to high risk of flooding, but the probability has not been determined. These areas are labeled Zone D on the flood maps."
This is the link to the house you mentioned you can even zoom in and see the house roof. I want to stress I am not in anyway being negative, if I mortgage company doesn't require it I am good to go. Even where we are buying on the coast, our community so large that one part of it is in a flood zone but we are just above that and no flood insurance needed.

Ps. Click to close the box for "Print Tool" Also once you click, if you copy and past the address a second time in the search box it will draw a square around the house. It's hard to see, the darn writing is right over where I thought the house was. It could also be the start of a driveway.
Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 11.34.07 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Keep in mind, since the Forest Circus owns the land, all work on the cabin must be approved by them. They can also boost the annual rent. Often these cabins are built with minimal foundations. Hard to tell from the pictures.

On the bright side, that is down in Arizona's green belt so water should be pretty available. But then, so is fuel if the forest burns there.

May be an okay deal, but not a great one.

Cute, like the creek in the back yard. Always wanted one, never had one *LOL*
Anyway, living on the East Coast most my life I always look up flood maps. No concern where I am now but as you know I looked in Florida and ultimately settled on an area of the NC coast. Just high enough to not need flood insurance but in this case not ocean flood but a body of fresh water not too far away.
Anyway, in looking up the property you mentioned, not knowing anything about anywhere except the east coast I ran into this wording. I wouldnt personally be concerned just found it interesting. The area has not been flood rated and its labeled a flood zone I never heard of which is "Flood Zone D"
Which simply means nothing has been determined.
"What is Zone D?
FEMA’s flood maps, known as Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs), identify areas of flood hazard, which are labeled on the flood map as zones starting with the letters A and V for high-hazard areas, known as Special Flood Hazard Areas or SFHAs, and Zone X for moderate- or low-hazard flood-risk areas. In some cases, there are areas with a potentially moderate to high risk of flooding, but the probability has not been determined. These areas are labeled Zone D on the flood maps."
This is the link to the house you mentioned you can even zoom in and see the house roof. I want to stress I am not in anyway being negative, if I mortgage company doesn't require it I am good to go. Even where we are buying on the coast, our community so large that one part of it is in a flood zone but we are just above that and no flood insurance needed.

Ps. Click to close the box for "Print Tool" Also once you click, if you copy and past the address a second time in the search box it will draw a square around the house. It's hard to see, the darn writing is right over where I thought the house was. It could also be the start of a driveway.
D simply means that FEMA hasn't done any assessment on the flood risk for that property. You would need to look at a topo map and make your own assesment. My guess is forest fires or mud slides are bigger issues - pure guess.

I would love a piece of property out of the way like this - but no interest in having a house on it to maintain. I would get a small RV trailer and pull it in and out - not worries about vandalism, etc - and not neighbors while camping like in the state parks. My wife on the other hand doesn't think its a good idea, hence I do not have one.

Back