10w30 Rotella T4, 8k mi; 2007 Duramax, 238k mi

2007 Duramax 8,092 miles on oil with no makeup fluid. AC Delco oil filter. 238,150 miles on motor.
Nothing but a stellar report to share! Did not drain all of this batch, only used my fumoto valve for a sample. Blackstone recommended a sample at 12,000 mile mark.
Happy reading all!

IMG_8629.jpeg

Looks excellent! A few observations.

This UOA Rotella T4 has
  • More Moly
  • Less Boron
  • More Calcium
  • Less Magnesium
  • Same Phosphorus
  • around 100 ppm Less Zinc but could just be lab variance on this one.
Than the older non SN rated formula

That tells me that in the other forum thread customer service told them there will be no changes with the new SN rating but it appears that this new SN rated Rotella T4 is different than before the SN rating.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-diesel-oil-database.362789/

Now, If the OP can tell me around the time of purchase of this oil or if it had the SN rating on the back of the jug to confirm my findings?

Looks excellent! A few observations.

This UOA Rotella T4 has
  • More Moly
  • Less Boron
  • More Calcium
  • Less Magnesium
  • Same Phosphorus
  • around 100 ppm Less Zinc but could just be lab variance on this one.
Than the older non SN rated formula

That tells me that in the other forum thread customer service told them there will be no changes with the new SN rating but it appears that this new SN rated Rotella T4 is different than before the SN rating.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-diesel-oil-database.362789/

Now, If the OP can tell me around the time of purchase of this oil or if it had the SN rating on the back of the jug to confirm my findings?
This rotella is CK/4 and I do not believe any rotella products carry the SN rating due to the zinc content. It had the newest labels on the jugs that read “reduced maintenance” I believe? The competitor labels of ck4 like delo and delvac I remember seeing the SN rating

This rotella is CK/4 and I do not believe any rotella products carry the SN rating due to the zinc content. It had the newest labels on the jugs that read “reduced maintenance” I believe? The competitor labels of ck4 like delo and delvac I remember seeing the SN rating
You know what... were both on to something. You sparked my memory function. :oops:
15w-40's Rotella's are now SN rated & they have an exception to the limits. However, the 10w-30 does impose those limits so it's not SN rated. BUT there is definitely a new formula change based on this UOA that's happened recently.

You can see my earlier mentioned bullet point notes about the differences in additive package. This is the last one that was tested by @53' Stude You can certainly see a formula change at least.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rotella-t4-10w30-voa.333855/#post-5568746

Last edited:
Hey Ponch! nice to see you around.

UOA looks good; typical Dmax wear - and that's a good thing. Contamination is nearly non-existent. 12k miles is within easy reach.

I ran my Dmax on the old CJ-4 10w-30 "Triple Protection" up to 11k miles, even with towing, and got great wear. These engines just love to motor on and don't care what's in the crankcase as long as it's a decent HDEO.

Hey Ponch! nice to see you around.

UOA looks good; typical Dmax wear - and that's a good thing. Contamination is nearly non-existent. 12k miles is within easy reach.

I ran my Dmax on the old CJ-4 10w-30 "Triple Protection" up to 11k miles, even with towing, and got great wear. These engines just love to motor on and don't care what's in the crankcase as long as it's a decent HDEO.
Hi there dnewton3! Thanks for the insight on my report. I do remember you running the old triple protection formula for that run with your great results. I will run this out to around 12k perhaps with another sample pulled. I won’t bother this time with a filter change unless blackstone thinks I should around that mileage. I think insolubles are what I need to watch for oil filter nearing end of life?

Yeah - keep an eye on the insols. Blackstone does not separate oxidation from soot; it's just a visual reference for them. You might consider a more detailed UOA service if you're going to run some long OCIs, as soot and oxidation are probably the thing to track to see how they affect wear.

Yeah - keep an eye on the insols. Blackstone does not separate oxidation from soot; it's just a visual reference for them. You might consider a more detailed UOA service if you're going to run some long OCIs, as soot and oxidation are probably the thing to track to see how they affect wear.

Okay sounds good.

2007 Duramax 8,092 miles on oil with no makeup fluid. AC Delco oil filter. 238,150 miles on motor.
Nothing but a stellar report to share! Did not drain all of this batch, only used my fumoto valve for a sample. Blackstone recommended a sample at 12,000 mile mark.
Happy reading all!

View attachment 204862
Always better without makeup oil for a UOA. Nice report, thanks

Our high mileage LBZ looked pretty similar on T5 15w-40. (I wish mine had zero copper though.) Nice report.

Back