10w30 HDEO: Available options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I've posted in regards to using Rotella 15w40 CJ4 in my 96 bmw 318i with great success for the past year. (UOA from Terry to come shortly)

At the time of taking ownership of the car, the debate was between 10w30 and 15w40 hdeo, or the BMW LL01 LL98 route.

P.O. used 15w40 bulk Valvoline, so I decided to go 15w40 .... as I mentioned going very well, HOWEVER... very sluggish when cold.... and perhaps not too responsive when full temp.

I now am looking for 10w30 options.... Rotella in this weight I cannot find.... even via Shell distribution.

Any other suggestions? I would expect everything to be of the CJ4 spec.

All the majors have 10w/30 HDEO though in some areas not stocked. It may be easier to Order Amsoil or Schaeffers from a site sponser and do some extended oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
P.O. used 15w40 bulk Valvoline, so I decided to go 15w40 .... as I mentioned going very well, HOWEVER... very sluggish when cold.... and perhaps not too responsive when full temp.

I now am looking for 10w30 options.... Rotella in this weight I cannot find.... even via Shell distribution.
Any other suggestions? I would expect everything to be of the CJ4 spec.

I had a noticeable improvement in cold start performance with Rotella 15w-40 CJ-4 verses CI-4. Supposedly this is due to better base stocks, (re: synthetics), used in the CJ-4 formulations.

Frankly, I don't see the big need for a 10w-30 in Texas, the difference between that and the 15w-40 is minimal. You must have an engine that is very sensitive to vicosity.

The LARGER Wal-Mart's in South LA carry Rotella 10w-30 CJ4.
I saw 5 qt. jug for either $8.97 or $9.87 today.
Seems to be a very good all around oil to me. May be one of the best sleeper oils out there for lots of applications.

D-Roc/Bebop367,

I wish I could find this weight!!!! No Walmart, no AutoZone, PepBoys, Oreily and even TSC .... none have this version.

The two listed distributors here have no stock and no plans to stock.

I am not seeing any other HDEO from any other majors btw, nothing.

ACD is great oil for the fact that it meets specs of a sae30 but it is thin enough at cold temp to give it a 10w rating. I use it in all of small engine's and use whatever is left over for makeup oil in the diesel. The bang for your buck on this oil is nice too.

If my vechicle where newer, perhaps I would entertain ACD, but it's cost per gallon is more than double that of Rotella.

Given the age of the vehicle (96) and milage (178k) I find it hard to justify the price.

If you insist on conventional oil, another option is Pennzoil Long-Life 10W-30...sometimes hard to find, but it is an option. Probably somewhat similar to Rotella 10W-30.

HondaMan: Do they have the Menards home improvement stores there? They've been carrying the CJ-4 RT 10W-30 for over a year now and I scored 10 gallons at a recent sale.

Jim,

No Menards. I called every 'Shell Distributor' within 300 miles. None readily stock 10w30, most are willing to order however the order could take up to four weeks.

(as a funny aside: if I wanted I could purchase drums of Rotella 15w40 cj4 for ~ $6.00 a gallon.... not bad)

I did find a Penz Long Life as mentioned.... not a CJ4 version. This so far is the only 10w30 HDEO that I have personally laid hands upon.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Why is is the ACD so good?
You know why,,,Amsoil is the best oil in the world???
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
You know why,,,Amsoil is the best oil in the world???
banana2.gif

That's the answer I expected...
33.gif

ACD is good for several reasons. First and foremost it has no VII's. It's all base oil and functional additives. There are no additives needed (VII's) to enhance or otherwise alter the viscosity. So it's a straight SAE 30. However, since the base oil is synthetic, it meets the 10W requirements. To me this is the main reason it's head and shoulders above conventional HDEO 10W-30's, but yes the synthetic base oil makes it more expensive.

As for the additive package, it's the stoutest of all Amsoil's motor oils. It has more Calcium (as measured in VOA's and UOA's) than even HDD, and has the same ZDDP.

In usage it produces very low iron wear and retains TBN exceptionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back