10+ year old PP 10w30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I posted a while back about finding a couple quarts of API SM PP 10W30 at a farm store. I wanted to see how much it's changed compared to SN+. Well, it has about triple the calcium, double the TBN, and even way back when it had moly and boron. And for all the people who believe oil has a shelf life, well, this quart laughs at you.
lol.gif

BB2B1149-6DDC-46A5-A800-20C70DBB9F27.jpeg

That is a neat VOA, and well appreciated for some perspective. The Calcium is through the roof!

Thank SubieRubyRoo, for this and the other recent VOAs.

No problem all, this is fun for me. Since I don't have the chemistry background nor personal insider information, I figure VOAs and new filters that 53' Stude C&Ps for me on the board are a decent way to give back to the board. These two quarts and a 5qt jug of silver bottle PP 10w30 will either be used as top-off or blended in a quart at a time since right now my whole stable is EJ25s, and they like hearty add packs
smile.gif

its been stated UNOPENED oils can last 10 years, but prolly more in reality

SM oils were quite stout. The move into SN started the cutting back on Calcium and other ingredients.

So I don't think I ever found a "true" way to gauge the age of these bottles- maybe someone with history can help. These were the silver quart jugs, and the entire front label was a shiny metallic-looking silver, and the word "NEW!" in red. I'll dig up the link from my other post, but I was wondering if anybody could give a closer date range because they vividly remember when it came out
smile.gif

Sheesh, I'm losing it. I finally remembered why I posted about 10+ years old. I think it's interesting that such an old formulation still had ‘significant' moly and boron when compared even to some SN+ oils. Obviously it's no Idemitsu Eco Medalist or original TGMO, but it definitely wasn't commonplace for oils this old. That, along with a nearly 11 TBN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back