10 Second cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: van5150halen
Well.. What cars would You all Recommend to start with? You know. Good, Well- priced, factory fast cars?

Terminators ie 03-04 Mustang Cobras theres your high 12 second car stock.

98 through 02 Camaro Z28,SS or Trans am. High 12 low 13 stock. With a well thought out heads and cam package and longtubes and a tune and your looking at 10's. But remember you will need supporting mods such as a torque converter or upgraded clutch depending which way you go there and the rear likely wont last for long if you go manual.

There are many different ways to skin a cat. I prefer older cars myself.

Is it possible to mod. a v6 Mustang to where it can do the 1/4 in 10 seconds?
Yep, it will require a turbo or two and some internal modifications to handle the boost though.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Well.. What cars would You all Recommend to start with? You know. Good, Well- priced, factory fast cars?

Terminators ie 03-04 Mustang Cobras theres your high 12 second car stock.
Cool cars. The newer blown mod motors have eclipsed them in terms of power and torque but the 05+ Mustangs are so [censored] heavy that some of the extra power is wasted on moving all that extra mass around.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
One of the new ones, yeah, probably when they get a forced induction kit.

Or buy a 2011 Mustang GT. They're rumored to be high 10's with a few bolt-ons.
Not quite. They run low 12s with sticky tires and a good driver. MMFF just tested one. The average Joe on street tires will likely see high 12s. With bolt-ons and a good driver, I'd say mid 11s tops. It will still take a power adder or going inside the engine to get the new 5.0 into the 10s.

I love Fox body Stangs, so I'd say a 79-93 Mustang.....cheap, plenty of aftermarket support, and are very easy to make fast-almost too easy. If I were a GM guy, I'd say the 84-88 Monte Carlo SS is a good choice after you rip out the stock 305. I have a soft spot for the Montes. They are cheap, have plenty of aftermarket support, are easy to make fast, and to me could have been Chevy's version of the 5.0 Stang if they would've put the Corvette TPI 350 in it instead of the boat anchor 305.

Do you already own the V6 'stang? SN95? If so, you could swap in a carb'd Windsor. That would be the cheapest route.

Basically, you'd need:

1. Upgraded diff. Swap out the 7.5" for an 8.8" with 31-spline axles and gear (3.73's, 3.55's, around there).

2. Suspension suspension suspension. Did I mention suspension? You'll need springs, bushings, shocks....etc. Lots of power is useless if you can't get it to hook.

3. Big 'ol Windsor. Find an early block (69-era) if you want something REALLY strong 351W. Get a stroker kit for it (408 is a common one). If this part confuses you, you could get in touch with Woody from fordstrokers.com or Jay Allen from camshaftinnovations.com (both hang out on SBFTech) and they would work together to build you a mill easily capable of your goal.

4. Transmission. Built C4 or C6 is probably the easiest route. Though an AOD can be built as well and gives you the luxury of overdrive. If you want the manual route a TKO600 should be able to handle things. Don't forget the clutch!

5. Induction. Work with the guys I mentioned earlier if you are puzzled about this part. Topping it with a Vic. Jr. and a big Holley from ProSystems is probably the "best" route to go here. You'll need a cowl hood to clear that intake/carb combo however. The Windsor is pretty tall.

Cammed by Jay, as long as you specify you want good street manners, it will run around town sounding almost like a stock V8. Until you get on the loud pedal and holy [censored]! A buddy's 302 sounds VERY mild, yet has run bottom 12's on street tires un-tuned, far from optimal at 114Mph. We've got a Vic Jr. and an HP Holley to put on it, set the timing curve, then wideband it and she should be deep 11's on a tire. That's a stock compression 302's with some "out of the box" trickflow heads, street-friendly cam...etc. The car is very light however.

Is it possible to mod. a v6 Mustang to where it can do the 1/4 in 10 seconds?
Built short block, tons of boost, and an auto

Do you realize how fast a 10 second 1/4 mile is?

Consider this: in Car & Driver's review of the 2009 Corvette ZR1 (a $105,000 car) ran the 1/4 in 11.3 seconds.

Now, you can surely mod a lighter-weight car to have more power, but will it be safe or reliable?

I've seen plenty of times where someone pays someone else to get their car more power (turbo, new cam, etc), and winds up going past schedule, over budget. If you're going to do it, do it yourself, and resign yourself to the fact that it won't be cheap, easy or quick.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

Consider this: in Car & Driver's review of the 2009 Corvette ZR1 (a $105,000 car) ran the 1/4 in 11.3 seconds.

It should easily break into the 10s with the right rear tires and an accomplished 1/4 mile driver.

Originally Posted By: XS650

It should easily break into the 10s with the right rear tires and an accomplished 1/4 mile driver.

I do agree with you, but I don't think that was the point he was trying to make!

Originally Posted By: XS650

I've seen completely bone stock (including the rear tires) Z06es go high tens.
crazy2.gif
(And yes, it was a phenomenal driver in great conditions, but still, what else right off of the showroom floor, for NOPE, not even the 'Godzilla' GTR!)

I think there's lots of people out there that don't realize how fast some 1/4 times are. Once you break into low 11's and faster a car can become a real handful to drive. I'm referring to older hotrods not showroom fresh cars, however I'm sure they can be scary at times also.

My Regal ran high 10's and was a blast, my younger son who always helped me turn wrenches wanted to make a pass and I decided to let him try, he [censored] near [censored] his pants, got out of it and ran a low 12 second pass. Still pretty impressive for his first try..

It's really fun, but can be very expensive. You always want to go faster and that takes money!!! Lots of it!

I built my Ranchero with about 10,000 total and it runs 6.770 best at 101.76 in the 1/8 mile.
all my stuff was used junk nobody really wanted and I am known at my track as one fast Ford
Driven to and from the track every fri nite
Unfortunatly a few weeks ago the block let go
after 10 years of abuse, but it was fun while it lasted!

[removed non site sponsor links]

Videos below!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks! always ran 1.5 60ft times

I ran the car every fri nite since the track opened almost 2 years ago.

Javier

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: nutsbolts
thanks! always ran 1.5 60ft times

I ran the car every fri nite since the track opened almost 2 years ago.

Javier

You sir, are what's known as a REAL hot-rodder!!
cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jazeo
I think there's lots of people out there that don't realize how fast some 1/4 times are. Once you break into low 11's and faster a car can become a real handful to drive. I'm referring to older hotrods not showroom fresh cars, however I'm sure they can be scary at times also.

I absolutely AGREE!

A sub 11 second, purpose built drag race ride with skinnies, no front sway bar, etc. will be MUCH 'squirrelier', and hard to control, especially when they 'dance around' at the top end, than a showroom stock ~11 second ride with all of the handling helpers intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back