1/2 drive deep sockets

Originally Posted by Trav
I saw this happen just a couple of weeks ago, my friend Frank (demarpaint) was looking at something and he noticed it too. It was one price one day then bumped up the next, a coupon came in the email that day for 25%. Not saying this happens all the time but be aware and shop before pulling the trigger

I have - many times - added the items to the cart and then I get the coupons a few days after. No change in price. But I'll be more careful with this.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Nobody's asked yet... do you want impact or chrome? Are thin walls important to you?

Thank you, I did forget to mention, prefer chrome. I do have a good amount of impacts, but found I was very short on chrome ones. So Chrome please.

Most of my sockets I use for automotive wrenching are from HF, before they came out with the Icon line. Seems every week they're establishing a new "line" of tools and charging more for it.

Honestly they're not bad. Some of the sockets that come in the all-in-one tool kits are junk, but their standalone sockets (even the sets) are solid in my experience. I've abused more than a few with long cheater bars, drive reducers, impacts, etc and I've never had one fail on me. I did eventually buy a set of 1/2" drive impact sockets so I'm not as hard on them as I used to be. Are they top quality and I would buy them if I had to earn a living with them? Probably not, there's certainly better tools out there. But for the price they're a good value, and IMO a step up over most of the department & big box store tools out there.

I share the COO concern, but nearly all of the name brands that used to be made in the USA are foreign made now as well. There's a few outliers, but you pay dearly for it.

No, that is correct.

If the Williams part number is all numbers, it is made overseas. If the part number contains letters and numbers, then it is made in USA.

The made in the USA set is part number WSSD-11HRC, and contains 1/2 - 1 1/8 sockets.

https://www.zoro.com/snap-on-indust...2-d-6pt-11pcs-sae-wssd-11hrc/i/G7154631/

Originally Posted by Redright9
Just looking over some of the options, and saw country of origin was not USA?

https://www.zoro.com/snap-on-industrial-brands-deep-socket-set-12-d-6pt-9pcs-32936/i/G6535238/

Is this wrong?

Sometimes the money you save on something like sockets, you end up spending way more buying more tools trying to get the bolt out you just rounded off instead!

Last edited:
No worries.

I've got both USA and Taiwan Williams tools.

For some people, like me, country of origin matters. I prefer to buy the USA if possible.

But the Taiwanese Williams tools are excellent tools. Beautifully made. Great value. You'll love them I promise.

I'm looking harder than ever … even simple things, just bought a toilet rebuild kit … my lifelong brand switched to our favorite place these days … Changed to another big name made here … quiet fill valve too.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by Redright9
Hello, I am in the market for a set of sockets, deep, half in drive, SAE. Was thinking about the new ICON brand from HF. What do people recommend here, is there a better option out there? I am not a professional, just a weekend warrior but enjoy good tools and understand good tools cost money. But I dont think I need a $500 set of snap on sockets either.. what do you have experience with and recommend?

Wright Tools. On Amazon and other places. A step below Snap-On. But quality made in USA.

And the best part is that they use all USA made blanks and steel in their tools

I bought the Wright combination wrench set recommended here. Bought from Zoro, I think it was shipped from the factory. Very happy with it, price of over $200 is in the past already. Wright makes a lot more things than I realized and owns Channellock I believe. among others. The pricing is a bargain for USA made from USA materials. The drives have an improved flank drive on the new ones. I wouldn't say Wright tools are lesser than Snap On.
If you want cheap go to Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes and check for in store sales. IMO all the new tools are better than a lot of the old tools we are nostalgic about. Been cleaning in garage, many of my old USA tools don't really look that great now.

This is a socket set that might be still in local HD's:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...e-Socket-Set-200-Piece-H200MSS/207186810

Wright Tool does not own the Channellock company. I'm very familiar with Wright Tool and I've even been permitted to take photo's in their factory.

I just did a price comparison of Tools Delivered and Zoro for the same tools just to show the coupon is not always a deal, it is sometimes like the USA Williams socket set they did not bump the price on, that was a real good deal.
Williams 32945 which has 9-36mm missing the 34mm 32734 which is the only missing size they offer. 31, 33, 35 or larger than 36mm are not offered.

ToolsDelivered price is 138.40 for the set. $13.07 for the 34mm socket, 13.85 UPS shipping (Ships from Snap on) plus tax.
Zoro just came out with a 20% off coupon today (AURAQ9EPJV) good till 4/24/20. The set is $163.30, the 34mm must buy 5 pieces min, an Amazon single is $17.84 + $4.76, shipping is free on the set plus tax.

Totals
ToolsDelivered $160 inc 6.25 tax and shipping.
Zoro with coupon and Amazon single socket inc tax $163

This is something else to consider, I don't own any Tekton tools except for one special socket bit but they are also made in Taiwan, according to some well known tools sites these are really decent tools with a great warranty, the shipping is free. Notice no skipped sizes, if these are really as good as they claim and you need big sockets its a no brainer.

https://www.tekton.com/1-2-in-dr-dp-6-pt-skt-sets-3-8-1-1-2-in-10-38-mm?set-range=10-38-mm

Originally Posted by 1foxracing
Wright Tool does not own the Channellock company. I'm very familiar with Wright Tool and I've even been permitted to take photo's in their factory.

I said I believe. The belief was because they have them in in the catalog. Now I looked into it further on their site and don't believe it anymore. I am pretty careful about making definite statements. Thanks for the correction.
Cost a lot to run a shop like that now, hope people open their wallets a little and stop defaulting to HF anytime they need a tool.

The problem with Wright IMO is they are stuck in the old SAE world. Look for a set of 6pt metric deep 1/2 drive chrome sockets, none. They really need to step up their metric and ratchet game to include pear heads. Nice quality tools no question but a lacking or none existent selection of the most common ones used in the automotive trade today.

Originally Posted by Astro14
No worries.

I've got both USA and Taiwan Williams tools.

For some people, like me, country of origin matters. I prefer to buy the USA if possible.

But the Taiwanese Williams tools are excellent tools. Beautifully made. Great value. You'll love them I promise.

besides being made in Taiwan is there any difference in quality?

Back